HELP- XR650R carb problems?

7 replies to this topic
  • swinterc

Posted September 02, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Well on my stock carburetor when ever I turn the fuel on it just dumps out of the bottom float bowl vent. Now I have checked the screw there to be sure it was tight and have taken the float bowl off to see if there was any grim that was in the way of the screw but it is was clean. Now I also checked the float screw to see were it was at and it is at 1.5 turns out so that seem to be ok unless I'm wrong about that. If you have any ideas please let me know as I can only scratch my head so much before my head explodes:excuseme: . I also live at 8000 feet if that would make any difference. Thanks

• husky123

Posted September 02, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Sounds like you need to adjust the ole floats. Take your carb bowl off and adjust the tang that controls the shutoff for the fuel that fills out the bowl. Adjustment up, as the carb sits, shuts off sooner, down lets more fuel in. In your case up. Hope that makes sense.

• creeky

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:04 PM

Could be that there is a piece of crud in the float needle valve assembly.

• swinterc

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:14 PM

Well I cleaned the hole thing out pretty well and it's still leaking. What and were is the tang, I looked for such thing but could not find it? I'm starting to really miss my old KTM, I have never been stranded on any other bike that I have owned except this XR... Thank for your replies!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philipstjohn

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:25 PM

Well I cleaned the hole thing out pretty well and it's still leaking. What and were is the tang, I looked for such thing but could not find it? I'm starting to really miss my old KTM, I have never been stranded on any other bike that I have owned except this XR... Thank for your replies!

You really never here this about XR's being stranded... but most do not tell these stories! My XR stranded me once-out of gas- first test on max mileage when I first got the bike. My Bad!:thumbsup:

• swinterc

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Yea it's been twice now, once when the stator bolts decited to back out and the heads of them sheared off. And again at about 13,000 feet the carb decited to start spilling fuel and stop running. i did get it going but ended up riding the next 200 miles home leaking fuel all over everything and everwere. And now I'm stuck and don't know how to fix it now. I may just part it out and buy a 950 adventure (maybe). If I do I will post all of the goodies that I have.

• T-Doshi9

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:20 PM

sounds like the float hanging up or like it has been said something is messing with the little pin that shuts off the gas flow when the float is full. is there gas in the float itself? that has to be full of air. and check the pin and hold it sets in to make sure its clean... if you do part it out i want the exhaust if its aftermarket. hehehe playing. it has to be something in the bowl. let us know if you figure it out.

• philipstjohn

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:09 AM

Yea it's been twice now, once when the stator bolts decited to back out and the heads of them sheared off. And again at about 13,000 feet the carb decited to start spilling fuel and stop running. i did get it going but ended up riding the next 200 miles home leaking fuel all over everything and everwere. And now I'm stuck and don't know how to fix it now. I may just part it out and buy a 950 adventure (maybe). If I do I will post all of the goodies that I have.

:ride: Parting it out is not the answer. Once you get the bike to run as it should and you would never want to sell it, let alone part it out! I would take the carb off the bike and clean it well. This might be all that is needed, minus checking for proper jetting, needle & setting while you in there for your riding area. I would give that a shot first. Good luck! :thumbsup:

http://www.xr650r.us/fiche/

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.