Ricky Stator or Baja Design Stator?

6 replies to this topic
  • glabudde

Posted September 02, 2007 - 12:38 PM

Is replacing the stock stator as easy as unbolting the old one and installing the new one? Is there a need for other components with the increased output?

Currently running with a BD dual sport kit. The BD site has some very detailed instructions and it looks more complicated that just bolting the new one in.

Any thoughts or comments?

• xr650rkyle

Posted September 02, 2007 - 01:18 PM

yes it is really pretty easy, I did a ricky stator change and it cam with complete directions. Don't forget to drain the oil first.

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 02, 2007 - 02:38 PM

yes it is really pretty easy, I did a ricky stator change and it cam with complete directions. Don't forget to drain the oil first.

Why drain the oil?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • glabudde

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:28 PM

Does your bike have a dual sport kit, and if not would that make it more complicated? I understand that RS will send a new stator without the need to send mine in which means less down time.

• exaresix

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:28 PM

You do need other components. If you go all AC you need a heavy duty AC regulator to handle all 200+ watts. If you split the output 100/100, you will need a second AC regulator. If you split the output 100AC/100DC you will need a regulator/rectifier as well as a battery (this is supposedly what most dual sport kits do). This set-up becomes slightly more complex because you also need "relays" if you want to turn the headlight (running on the AC circuit) on or off and use the high/low beam. If you want to have a horn, it must be connected to a DC circuit. Finally, if you want to go all DC you will need to run everything through a regulator/rectifier, and the only unit I am familiar with (the Tympanium) will handle a max of 200 watts (BD unit cranks out 250 watts, Ricky Stator 200 watts).

Ultimately, it is the decision-making that is the hardest part.

• resslera

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:53 PM

I originally put the BD dual sport kit on. Not liking the weak headlight I did the ricky stator 200 watt stator and used the directions from the Baja Site. All I had to buy extra was a relay for the headlight and a 100 watt bulb.

You sure don't need to drain the oil when replacing the stator. No way no how.

• exaresix

Posted September 02, 2007 - 04:03 PM

Yep, BD recommends a split AC/DC system in which you need to add relays for the headlight.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.