XRL newbie

12 replies to this topic
  • Old Graybeard

Posted September 02, 2007 - 05:56 AM

First post. 60 years young and can't seem to get these sickles out of my blood. Sons and I have done eastern woods racing most of our lives. Have owned Pentons, KTM's, Kawies, Hondas, and Suzuks. Now I'm down to a 2007 XRL, primarily for the street. So far it's been a Clarke tank, FMF Q2, K&N, airbox cleanout, and a jet job. I'll be trusting you young bucks to keep me up to speed on whats hot and what's not on my ride. Later

• Frank ZX

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:05 AM

HI Old Graybeard,That is awesome for a man of your age is still riding a dual sport.My wife say's I don't want to grow up cause I still ride a dirt bike on the street.It makes me feel like I'm doing something illegal LOL.Sounds like you have done some good mods,the only problem I see is the K&N.They do flow great,but that is the problem.They also let very fine dirt and silt past the filter.Atleast put a prefilter on or change to a UNI filter.They say the FCR carb makes a big difference over the CV.Welcome to the forum!

• Frank ZX

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:08 AM

Ohyea,You can also go to your local auto parts store a get a brighter headlight.I just bought a Sylvinia Silver Star headlight part#9003.It makes a big difference, under $20.00

• Old Graybeard

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:26 AM

Thanks man! I feel lucky to be still breathing at my age, let alone getting frisky thru the S's with a dual-sporter. lol Not to worry about the K&N. I feel it's fine for the street but don't intend to take that filter any further than the berm of the road. Bulb replacement sounds good. Thanks for the tip. See, I knew I could count on you guys. Later

• AaronBrown

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:38 AM

I am new to the XR650L also and I hope to still be riding a dual sport when I am your age. I took a ten year hiatus from motorcycles due to a pretty bad crash on my GSXR, I hope I have enough common sense now to keep myself safe.
I had a thumper in the past but never a street legal one. I still think my old TT600 felt faster than my 650L but modding it is half the fun. Anyway good luck to you and happy riding.

• Bibleman

Posted September 02, 2007 - 10:23 AM

Hey there buddy! I hope I can get my leg over my XRL when I'm 60:prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old Graybeard

Posted September 02, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Where there's a will, there's a way. Ever hear of that one? lol Personally, I step up onto the foot peg first and use it as a step. Then sling my leg over. That 38 inch seat height is a *+@#^*!... lol

• Bibleman

Posted September 02, 2007 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the tip - I may need it soon. My idea was to use a milk crate but it's tough to carry one of them around with you:busted:

• AaronBrown

Posted September 02, 2007 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the tip - I may need it soon. My idea was to use a milk crate but it's tough to carry one of them around with you:busted:

Eh........just tie a rope on it, drag it behind you.

• Rman of 237

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way. Ever hear of that one? lol Personally, I step up onto the foot peg first and use it as a step. Then sling my leg over. That 38 inch seat height is a *+@#^*!... lol

Hi O.G., you're an inspiration!!:ride:
Have you considered doing any of the lowering mods? I have a lowering link on my 650 and my 400(I'm somewhat verticaly challenged). I've also raised the forks in the clamps. I just trimmed the seat on the 400 as well as I saw someone do it on another forum and said . They ride slightly different but you get used to it. I don't race anymore.:thumbsup: I said "why not"?

http://www.xrsonly.c...emart&Itemid=77

R.....

• martinfan30

Posted September 03, 2007 - 02:14 PM

HI Old Graybeard,That is awesome for a man of your age is still riding a dual sport.My wife say's I don't want to grow up cause I still ride a dirt bike on the street.It makes me feel like I'm doing something illegal LOL.Sounds like you have done some good mods,the only problem I see is the K&N.They do flow great,but that is the problem.They also let very fine dirt and silt past the filter.Atleast put a prefilter on or change to a UNI filter.They say the FCR carb makes a big difference over the CV.Welcome to the forum!

i love my xrl too. riding a dirt bike on the street has the same feeling for me!lol i have also said it feels a little illegal! that is the draw for me.+1 on the uni filter and the fcr 41 pumper carb.

• Old Graybeard

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:35 AM

I"ve considered a lowering link but have read elsewhere on this site that they alter the suspension geometry. When you say they handle different, what exactly do you mean by that?

• Rman of 237

Posted September 14, 2007 - 06:25 AM

I"ve considered a lowering link but have read elsewhere on this site that they alter the suspension geometry. When you say they handle different, what exactly do you mean by that?

Sorry O.G. I've been away from the comp. When I said that it rides different well if you don't race then don't sweat it. Have you ever ridden someone elses bike before and even though its the exact same model you can tell your on a different bike? That's how it felt to me. For one thing thing it's a little shorter in the saddle obviously but after a couple of hours it fit like a glove. XRs Only claims that the link doesn't change the dynamics of the suspension but some of these guys that race will tell you otherwise. It would be fine for someone who just trailrides like me. Don't forget you can trim your seat as well with good results.

Rman....

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.