fork seals

6 replies to this topic
  • bigdaub

Posted September 01, 2007 - 12:46 PM

I just bought a 2007 yz450 at the end of june from a dealer here in town. The bike is brand new, and i've maybe put about 10 hrs on it + all of it has been trail riding. I went out for a ride yesterday, and after riding for about 20mins, i noticed the ride getting pretty rough, so i stopped and checked the front forks, and both seals had blown. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this covered under warranty?

thanks!

• Dirtbiker05

Posted September 01, 2007 - 12:53 PM

bring it back to your dealer and tell them what happened. they should at the very least only charge you for the seals and not the labour costs. they really should fix it to give themselves a good name. bring it back and c what they say.

• bigdaub

Posted September 01, 2007 - 01:05 PM

I just called them and apparently motocross bikes dont have a warranty, and i'd be charged in full for the fix..... man am i unimpressed with this.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Replaced the low drag OEM seals with a seal kit from MSR-HP. Much better seal. I've had some in my '06 for nearly a year with no repeat leaks. Your sprung very early, even for these seals, but they do have a sort of reputation.

• Martys

Posted September 01, 2007 - 06:58 PM

Synergy seals are better than oem too. http://www.synergyseals.com

• Dr.Wilson 154 ( . Y . )

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:56 PM

I just bought a 2007 yz450 at the end of june from a dealer here in town. The bike is brand new, and i've maybe put about 10 hrs on it + all of it has been trail riding. I went out for a ride yesterday, and after riding for about 20mins, i noticed the ride getting pretty rough, so i stopped and checked the front forks, and both seals had blown. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this covered under warranty?

thanks!

if a bike sits untouched after about a month or 2, the little bit of lubrication between the fork seal and fork tube can dry up. causing the seal to tear over the first good bump you hit. dealers usually have to replace fork seals in their bikes that sit in the showroom for a long time. it happened to one of my bikes. you can get sylicone spray and put it on your fork tube once it is reparied and it should stop that from happening. i would replace your seals with factory connection ones because they last longer than other brands. good luck.

• warrior86

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:41 PM

yeah mine started leaking at 15 hrs. Replace them with better ones and get yourself a pair of fork bleeders. These forks build up air suprisingly:ride: fast.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.