Tire repair kit for traveling ?

10 replies to this topic
  • Huffa 2

Posted September 01, 2007 - 12:04 PM

You guys make up your own kits or can you buy one with inflater (pump,CO2?) , tire irons, patches etc,etc ?

• Old Dog

Posted September 02, 2007 - 04:40 PM

Made up my own.

It consists of a front tire tube kept in a Moose Racing font fender bag, a rear tire tube kept in an MSR fanny type pack, which also holds a set of tire spoons and a patch kit. I also have a DRC compact portable tire pump that comes with it's own bag that has Velcro loops on the top and front making it so you can mount it to the frame tubes by the one of the passenger pegs, the whole pump inside it's bag only measures about 4 inches long, 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep. It's small enough that you could also just throw it into a stock rear fender bag.

• Bibleman

Posted September 02, 2007 - 05:47 PM

How about a can of Fix a Flat? Worked great on a flat XR100 front tire at Tower City. Took about a half a can.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:06 PM

I've heard about carrying spare tubes before but somebody help me understand: is the reason you carry tubes ( vs just a tube repair kit) because riding offroad there is a chance you may pinch your tube, rendering it unrepairable?

Asked differently, if you were just doing a 600 mile cross-country trip, entirely on paved roads, with new tubes installed, would you be good with just a tube repair kit? On paved roads, at least MOST American paved roads, the chance of a pinched tube seems remote...

Yes? No?

• Ferdinand

Posted September 02, 2007 - 06:17 PM

I also have a DRC compact portable tire pump that comes with it's own bag that has Velcro loops on the top and front making it so you can mount it to the frame tubes by the one of the passenger pegs, the whole pump inside it's bag only measures about 4 inches long, 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep. It's small enough that you could also just throw it into a stock rear fender bag.

Got a pic and or where you can get one?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Old Dog

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Here's some pics of the DRC hand pump and it's bag:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If I could remember where I got it from, I'd tell ya, but be damned if I can, sorry. :thumbsup:

I've tried it out a few times and it's worked flawlessly. It's a helluva lot better than bringing a bunch of C02 cartridges along and hoping that they work (I've heard stories that you have to get them just right for them to work, if not it's just another bunch of C02 released into the atmosphere :ride:

• Old Dog

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:13 PM

I've heard about carrying spare tubes before but somebody help me understand: is the reason you carry tubes ( vs just a tube repair kit) because riding offroad there is a chance you may pinch your tube, rendering it unrepairable?

Asked differently, if you were just doing a 600 mile cross-country trip, entirely on paved roads, with new tubes installed, would you be good with just a tube repair kit? On paved roads, at least MOST American paved roads, the chance of a pinched tube seems remote...

Yes? No?

My motto has always been "always be prepared", as in, if you aint' got it, ya caint' use it! :ride:

How hard is it to carry along a couple of spare tubes?? They weigh next to nothing and you can jam them into just about anything that carries cargo, tools, etc. If worse comes to worst, you can just strap the bare tube onto your bike somewhere. :thumbsup:

• Rman of 237

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:24 PM

If you want to go cheap on the pump you can get a super lightweight alum. pump at any bicycle shop.

• Old Dog

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:01 AM

I found a link to the DRC pump for ya, they also have a "twin" version of the one I posted the pic of. They say they're "foot pumps", but I've always pumped mine by hand because the "foot" contact area at the top of the pump is so small.

http://www.drcproduc...mini/index.html

And here's an online site that sells them:

http://www.langstonr...imit_n.more.htm

• wheelnut46

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:23 PM

http://www.drcproduc...mini/index.html

Nice site. I like the tire iron / wrench combo.

• XR4DEZ

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:41 AM

I keep the front tube only and use it in either wheel, keep a tube repair kit too.CO2 pump and at least 8 cartridges, buy the pump that uses non threaded cartridges.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.