Painting 05 WR450 Frame

16 replies to this topic
  • Motoequip

Posted September 01, 2007 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone tried touching up their frame on a WR? If so what did you guys use? I bought some paint from an ebayer that you brush on, but it's not looking so good. Maybee after a few coats along with sanding then polishing it will look ok. Here are a few pics. of what I'm trying to accomplish.
http://i12.photobuck...gu/DSC00778.jpg
http://i12.photobuck...gu/DSC00772.jpg
http://i12.photobuck...gu/DSC00755.jpg
http://i12.photobuck...gu/DSC00653.jpg

653 and 755 are before pics.
772 and 778 are after pics.

• BajaFool

Posted September 01, 2007 - 10:58 AM

PJ1 Coatings sells OEM frame paint in aerosol cans. See your Yamaha dealer or any motorcycle accessory shop. Remember to apply clearcoat after you paint your frame.

• JSanfilippo

Posted September 01, 2007 - 11:52 AM

lookin good. 100% better than before! Have you ever thought of investing in some devol, GTY-R, or works connection frame guards?

• Solo

Posted September 01, 2007 - 02:41 PM

If I ever worry about mine I'll just send it out for powder coating. I might even try a different color. :thumbsup:

• 450 Dude

Posted September 01, 2007 - 03:52 PM

Yeah i'm thinking powder coating might be a better decision.

• AnthonyB

Posted September 02, 2007 - 01:51 AM

You left the primer off :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted September 02, 2007 - 12:48 PM

lookin good. 100% better than before! Have you ever thought of investing in some devol, GTY-R, or works connection frame guards?

I have the frame guards. But it doesn't help with the part where the upper part of your boots rub. I only wish the frame guards came all the way up that mid-frame tube.

• trailordune

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:48 PM

I have the frame guards. But it doesn't help with the part where the upper part of your boots rub. I only wish the frame guards came all the way up that mid-frame tube.

Electrical tape works great above the frame guards. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xrmarty

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:10 PM

Looks good. Keeping the frame looking good makes the whole bike look really good:thumbsup:

Yeah i'm thinking powder coating might be a better decision.

It'll still wear off, may be not as fast, but it sure will eventually. The clutch and magneto covers on my '07 are already showing significant wear.

• Bamster

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Why bother?

It ain't gonna last.

• Gadsen

Posted September 03, 2007 - 04:32 PM

PJ1 Coatings sells OEM frame paint in aerosol cans. See your Yamaha dealer or any motorcycle accessory shop. Remember to apply clearcoat after you paint your frame.

Dittos on the clear coat. It will look like fecal matter if you dont do the clear. I have used the PJ1 blue and clear for a perfect match. This was for my old WR426F. But be warned, PJ1 paint alwasy clogs up the spray nozzles!

• Motoequip

Posted September 03, 2007 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for all the replies. And yes I ordered the devol guards already. I bought this bike used and wanted to make it look new again before I crashed on it...:bonk: :eek: :ride: I also added a couple more coats and wet sanded, it's looking a little better now.... Nice to see it's not just my bike that the paint is coming off...:thumbsup:

• trailordune

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:51 PM

Dittos on the clear coat. It will look like fecal matter if you dont do the clear. I have used the PJ1 blue and clear for a perfect match. This was for my old WR426F. But be warned, PJ1 paint alwasy clogs up the spray nozzles!

After spraying always turn the can upside down and spray until no more paint comes out. This works for any brand of paint and the nozzle will stay clean.:thumbsup:

• new2blu

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:16 PM

Contact ColorRite forthe correct color.
http://www.colorrite...ar.php?typeID=2

• Gadsen

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:14 PM

After spraying always turn the can upside down and spray until no more paint comes out. This works for any brand of paint and the nozzle will stay clean.:thumbsup:

No, I meant is plugs up while I'm spraying. I've had every can of PJ1 do this to me. I clean it, sprays for about 5 seconds, clean it, sprays for about 5 seconds.... Its like the pain it too thick for the nozzle. I used a WD40 nozzle, but it goes on quick, so I must be careful.

• BajaFool

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I just checked the blue Yamaha frame paint from Colorrite in an aerosol can--- $33.95. A little pricey!!!! PJ1 is MUCH cheaper.

• johunter666

Posted September 09, 2007 - 09:20 PM

To keep the paint from wearing off, get ahold of some 3M clear vinyl tape. This tape is also used to protect against hood chips on automobiles. I put this tape on the high wear areas of the frame and almost 3 years later --frame looks great. The tape does scuff and loose its shine, but the paint stays on the frame. When the tape starts looking real nasty, peel it off and put a fresh piece on. Much less hassle than painting. Keeps the bike looking much newer than it is.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.