500 street miles in a day on a 650r?

22 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:12 PM

Here's my observation on hand fatigue: when I first got my 650R and got it plated, I rode it to work one day. I noticed that by the time I got to work (only about 30 mi one-way) my hands and arms were really aching. But now (about 2500 miles and 3 years later), my hands are hardly effected, even after a 200-mile day.

Only thing I can figure is that early-on, I think I was really gripping the bars tight, and now on the street and highway I just relax and go with the flow. Maybe some hand-fatigue is related to trying to grip the controls too tightly, vs keeping a light touch??

What do you think?

Also, for me, I run pretty high gearing: 15/45, vs the factory's 14/48. So my highway cruise of 65-70 is only requiring maybe 4 grand from the engine, vs a factory-geared bike running maybe 5 grand at that speed.

So whether I adjusted my riding habits to a more relaxed grip-hold, or my gearing yields lower vibes, or both, I'm not fatigued near as much as I used to be after a long day in the saddle.

Now, as for BUTT-fatigue :ride: :eek: , that's another issue. Like I posted earlier, my next 650R upgrade is going to be tall seatfoam, stepped down a bit for make a larger seating surface to help avoid the dreaded monkey-butt on longer rides.:thumbsup: :bonk:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:13 PM

Next month some guys I work with are going on a 3-4 day, probably 1000mi ride and they want me to go. The plan is to leave ATL and do about 500mi the first day and the 200-300mi on the days after that (Blue Ridge pkwy, etc). I've done probably 200mi in a day, not all slab but alot of forestry service roads. From that I know that the seat is not going to cut it. Also, cutting down on the bar vibration would be nice. They're on touring bikes and cruisers so keeping up won't be a problem, except for some of the slab the first day. Anyway- I already have the bigger Clarke tank and I was going to throw a 15t sprocket on there.

Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks-

Dan

The seat is #1, and the sprocket #2. When I have done a 200 mile day it was about 70% dirt and 30% street and my butt was killing me. Not because I sit too much overall, but because while on the highway you really don't have much choice.

• 07XR650L

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:34 AM

[quote name='InternalCombustion']
Only thing I can figure is that early-on, I think I was really gripping the bars tight, and now on the street and highway I just relax and go with the flow. Maybe some hand-fatigue is related to trying to grip the controls too tightly, vs keeping a light touch??[QUOTE]

I agree with you on the grip thing. When my hands start feeling the vibes, I usually realize that I have a white-knuckle death grip on the bars. It's not because I'm nervous riding... it must be because I'm reacting to the pain in my butt and legs. It makes a big difference if you have a relaxed grip (in my opinion).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.