500 street miles in a day on a 650r?

22 replies to this topic
  • DanMc

Posted August 31, 2007 - 06:52 PM

Next month some guys I work with are going on a 3-4 day, probably 1000mi ride and they want me to go. The plan is to leave ATL and do about 500mi the first day and the 200-300mi on the days after that (Blue Ridge pkwy, etc). I've done probably 200mi in a day, not all slab but alot of forestry service roads. From that I know that the seat is not going to cut it. Also, cutting down on the bar vibration would be nice. They're on touring bikes and cruisers so keeping up won't be a problem, except for some of the slab the first day. Anyway- I already have the bigger Clarke tank and I was going to throw a 15t sprocket on there.

Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks-

Dan

• sommer

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:02 PM

500 mile days - no problem. What is that in hours? 6-8?

Correct gearing is a must - 14/45 or 15/48 and riding with cruisers you should be able to get away with 15/45. Just bring the 14 tooth cs along in case.

I do not understand folks annoyance with XR650R vibration. Doesn't bother me, but I wear padded gloves.

For the monkey-butt, be sure to wear bike shorts like the Performance Classic Century short, not the Century gel.

I've got the Clarke 4.3 as well....practice tilting your bike to move gas over to the pick up side ;-)

Go for it and have fun...take it easy on the cruisers.

• Woodshop

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:10 PM

Hope you have a street helmet MX helmets on the street suck lota road miles for a XR I wouldnt do it but i only ride the pavement to get to the dirt good luck to you:crazy: :thumbsup:

• Whiteman

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:17 PM

Sheep skin seat cover would be nice.

• Docmarkw

Posted August 31, 2007 - 09:28 PM

I love my bike (650R), but 500 miles in one day is painful to even think about. My personal best in a day was about 350 miles about 30/70 on and offroad. I have ridden about 300 all on pavement and that trip sucked out loud. The 650R can run on the pavement all day long, but it isn't confortable
The bike was ment for dirt and feels better in dirt.

• Ferdinand

Posted August 31, 2007 - 09:47 PM

I love my bike (650R)
The bike was ment for dirt and feels better in dirt.

:thumbsup:

• Huffa 2

Posted September 01, 2007 - 01:50 AM

Hope you have a street helmet MX helmets on the street suck lota road miles for a XR I wouldnt do it but i only ride the pavement to get to the dirt good luck to you:crazy: :thumbsup:

I like a MX helmet on the road, what's you problem with them ? Only thing I can think of is maybe the ones you use don't have good flow through the visor causing it/them to lift up all the time but I never had a problem with mine and am just the opposite, I don't care for street bike helmets at all on a DS bike.

• wheelnut46

Posted September 01, 2007 - 03:26 AM

I like a MX helmet on the road, what's you problem with them ? Only thing I can think of is maybe the ones you use don't have good flow through the visor causing it/them to lift up all the time but I never had a problem with mine and am just the opposite, I don't care for street bike helmets at all on a DS bike.

IMO,
Dirt helmets are louder and cooler (airflow) in summer but I wear earplugs for long street rides.
Full face street helmets are WAY better in the rain.
And when it's cold.
And bees just bounce off.

• CTXr650L

Posted September 01, 2007 - 03:55 AM

IMO,
Dirt helmets are louder and cooler (airflow) in summer but I wear earplugs for long street rides.
And when it's cold.

+1 for every statement made here :thumbsup:

• husky123

Posted September 01, 2007 - 05:25 AM

Arai XD's are the best of both worlds IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted September 01, 2007 - 06:38 AM

IMO,
And when it's cold.

Ditto. I have a Thor SXT helmet and love the way it looks and feels but at anything above 65-70 mph it wants to lift. I even modded the top adjusting screw to allow the visor to be adjusted further down than factory, it still wants to lift at 70+. Not to mention when I turn my head sideways to check for traffic I have to fight it twisting.

So, for longer highway rides I use my Nolan modular: quieter, less wind in the face, and excellent rain protection. I'll be joining up with Huffa to ride down to the MX of Nations :thumbsup: later this month--300 miles oneway--and the Nolan will be protecting my 4 brain cells on that trip.

Speaking of road trips (off topic for a bit), I just ordered the Wolfman Expedition Tank Panniers for my 650R:applause: . I only had allowance enough for either the tank panniers or new tall seat foam. Clean clothes for the trip are more important than fighting monkey-butt... I know about 200 miles into the ride I'll be regretting that decision:foul: , oh well.

• zackary

Posted September 01, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I've been wondering about how far I could ride my 650r on the street as well... the seat hurts like heck in a short time, and Corbin does not make one . If they did, the problem would be solved by that and some street tires. Dunlop used to make a 21" that I used on a Transalp (perhaps a 591?) that worked well. then it would be fun , not painful. the other question would be gearing- I'd go up 1 in the front or 3 in back whichever can be done cheaper. Finally, the valve adjustment and oil change interval is like 600 miles on this bike, but I think you could go 1000 safely in street conditions , especially if geared higher.

Let me know how it goes!

Ed8300@yahoo.com from Missoula , MT

• 07XR650L

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:22 AM

I just road about 450 miles round trip the other day on my 650L. The trip down wasn't bad... but the way back wasn't much fun. The vibration really wore me out. I wear gloves, so the bar vibration wasn't bad. But I have a trackmaster II rear and at 65-80 mph, that sucker really screams. My major complaints over the long distance were a headache (should have worn earplugs) and the vibration on my a$$ and feet. I hit heavy rain both ways (rain and mixed hail on the way down) and I wear an MX helmet. The helmet was great for staying cool, but was loud and didn't offer much protection. If I were to do it again, I would wear a full face street helmet.

I would suggest to you: wear a street helmet, some good gloves, and decent riding boots. I just wear steel toes, and I think that didn't help either.

• HawkGT

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:56 AM

Yikes. 500 slab miles in one day on my 650r makes me cringe. If I was gonna try that on my bike I'd want a backup plan in place in case the fatigue became dangerous.

• NorthVanRider

Posted September 01, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Taller gearing and a sheepskin folded over on the seat and you should be fine. People ride these bikes on round the world trips all the time, don't worry about valve adjustments, the service interval listed in the manual is geared towards racing. There are few bikes out there with that can take the abuse the 650R can. I've done plenty of long distance rides here in British columbia and find the bike to be fine. Only thing I don't like is freeway riding cause over 70mph the wind buffetting gets a little old.

• InternalCombustion

Posted September 01, 2007 - 08:43 AM

Re oil change, I run Mobil 1 and go 1000 miles on the street between changes.

Re gearing, my riding is 100% street and highway so I run 15/45 with the factory rims and 16/44 with the SM rims, (which yields an almost identical final-drive ratio as 15/45 with the DS rims). I really like being able to have a high-speed, moderate RPM cruise.
Re tires, my DS tires are Maxxis 6006. There are probably better all around DS tires to be had but I wanted to to get good lugs, "in case", since the DS rims and tires are only used in the winter, generally.

My next upgrade for the 650R is tall seat foam. I intend to reshape (step-down) the tall seatfoam so there's a wider seating area for my boney a$$.

• DanMc

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:15 AM

Thanks for the advice so far. I balanced my wheels the last time I put tires on and that smoothed it out alot. I've got a new 6006 for the back to replace the K270 that's on there (squirmy and worn out at 800mi- how do people get 4000mi out of these tires?). I run Mobile 1 already and have a good full face helment to wear. The only time the bar vibration bothered me I was wearing worn out MX gloves with no palm padding. The bars are bent and I'm going to put some taller ones on there. I have to come up with some saddlebags, maybe the snowmobile ones mentioned in another thread. We're camping so I'll have to carry a good bit of stuff- a small backpack is the most I usually take.

IC- who makes a 16t sprocket?

Thanks

Dan

• brp2004

Posted September 03, 2007 - 02:06 PM

Buy some rear footpegs from the scrap yard and mount them off your skid plate to use as highway pegs.

• Woodshop

Posted September 03, 2007 - 02:42 PM

The reason I dont like mx helmets on road rode a duelsport ride once had to ride only about 20 mile straight bucking the wind just was very loud & annoying couldn't wait to get off that road sorry thought you were riding a XR but it is a XL little more bearable any way have fun :thumbsup:

• hondacrf150f1

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:58 AM

Ive only put about 1500 miles on my 2007 XR650R but ive notest that my ass hurts at around 50-70 miles.

If im up and down in the RPM's the vibes arnt so bad. But cruising at 50-60 on blacktop isant good! For some reason my hands are pulsing and vibing after a 100 mile day on the road. Of coarce my gloves are very thin...

I dont think ive ever done more than 200 miles in a day yet. But ive put 1500 miles on in 2 months of owning it....thats like 25 miles a day.

Its not if the bike can handle it, its if your ass can handle it.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.