Done Honing. Do I Need New Rings?

9 replies to this topic
  • BLSBRKR65

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:45 PM

I just had my '94 XR650L Cylinder honed while i'm refurbishing the top end. The cylinder is now cross hatched and clean as a whistle. The current rings are well within spec. Do you need to install new piston rings everytime you get a hone? Thanks!

• cleonard

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:57 PM

When you say "in spec" do you mean the ring end gap? If that end gap is in spec there is no reason for new rings.

If the rings end gap was in spec there was no reason to hone the cylinder in the first place. The only reason to hone is because you are installing new rings. Now the rings have to seat again and it is not a 100% reliable process.

• BLSBRKR65

Posted September 01, 2007 - 05:53 AM

The reason i had it honed was because there were rust stains and fine scratches in the cylinder. The ring end gap spec was right on prior to the honing. Is it a must to replace the rings after a honing job? Thanks!

• zrxer

Posted September 01, 2007 - 06:03 AM

I would replace the rings. You are at that point anyway and it would be best to not risk the old rings not seating properly in the new hone. Also, it would be cheaper for new rings now rather than having to pull the top end apart again.:thumbsup:

• Trogdor

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:40 AM

I just had my '94 XR650L Cylinder honed while i'm refurbishing the top end. The cylinder is now cross hatched and clean as a whistle. The current rings are well within spec. Do you need to install new piston rings everytime you get a hone? Thanks!

Yes you do. It would be just like putting new rings in with out breaking the glaze/honing the cyl. Your old rings have "taken a set" to the wear/break-in pattern your cyl. had before honing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • creeky

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Another vote for new rings.

• NorthVanRider

Posted September 01, 2007 - 08:47 AM

you've gone this far into it, I'd definitely replace em

• martinfan30

Posted September 01, 2007 - 03:30 PM

absolutely replace the rings if you've honed it to a nice finish. dont try to re-break in the old rings. you will probably burn oil.

• beezerjoe

Posted September 01, 2007 - 10:32 PM

Speaking as a professional mechanic technically anytime you remove the cylinder you should replace the rings. That being said I have run the same old rings in the old bore as long as I didn't hone it as long as their wasn't a previous smoking or blow by problem and I have had pretty good luck doing so. Since your's has been honed there is no question put new rings in it.:thumbsup:

• zackary

Posted September 02, 2007 - 05:27 AM

Old rings won't seal well. you must put new rings in if you honed it. Clean the piston surface well while its out as well. General rule is -once top end apart, new rings are essential. If I were hard on the bike (a lot of high rpm use) I'd put a new piston, wrist pin and clips in as well..way better safe than sorry.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.