easier was to star a yz400f?

15 replies to this topic
  • thunder wheels

Posted August 31, 2007 - 02:23 PM

hi i just bought a 98yz400f and im wondering if there is something i can to do to start it easier like a newer cam or fuel/air mixture can anyone help me thanks

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:26 PM

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_a.mpg

http://www.yamaha-mo...troke_vid_b.mpg

Or, install the exhaust camshaft from a YZ450.

• thunder wheels

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:44 PM

thanks alot that video helped out alot do you think it would be worth getting the 450 cam in it?

• 00 Kracker 00

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:46 PM

I dont mind my compression release, once you get a routine to start the bike, you'll be able to fire it over quick.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:08 PM

do you think it would be worth getting the 450 cam in it?

The absolute best mod you could ever want to do to your particular bike.

• 1rkcooper

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:50 PM

Spend the $100 and do the mod, you will never regret it. I too didn't think the starting routine was that bad and was hesitant to do the mod. Thought about it for a year and finally bought the cam, let it sit for a couple more months and then finally put it in. The bike kicks over like a 2 stroke now and starts way, way easier. You can also bump start it on the smallest hill. Absolutely the best mod, do not hesitate to do it.

• PatrickM

Posted August 31, 2007 - 09:46 PM

I purchased my 99 YZ400F with the 450 cab mod already in the bike. After I got the motions down, it takes about 4 kicks to get it to start.

I could not imagine having to deal with the lever but I guess its all in the routine, if you know your bike's routine, your bike is always the easiest bike to start!!!!

Patrick M.

• stnkbg1

Posted September 01, 2007 - 12:26 AM

4 kicks? I guess I'll keep my lever, since mine never takes more than 2. I was a little nervous before picking up the bike, but now that I've had it a week and figured out the sequence I have no desire to change it. I'll keep my $100.

Dallas

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:56 AM

there is more benefits than just doing away with the lever. I did my 99 yz400 about 6 mo ago and am very happy with it. Mine starts cold max of 4 kicks and once warmed up it is never more than 2. And if it is 2, I messed up on the first kick and did not get it to tdc. The low end abrupt hit that mine had is gone, and the power is way more usable. it will bump start if you need it to, and you don't have to worry about braking the lever off if you crash alot like i do !
jay

• yamaha racing 230

Posted September 01, 2007 - 02:51 PM

i like my decompression lever cause when i around my friends if i tell them they cant ride it they can i enjoy watching then try to start it.:thumbsup: lol

• C-Wolf

Posted September 04, 2007 - 08:27 AM

I am looking at buying a 98 yzf 400 and i am wondering if they are hard to work on. i got to try the bike the other day and i loved it, the only thing is i have to convince my parents its a good bike for me. i normally do a little trail and a little track.

• thunder wheels

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:24 PM

well im 18 and i thinks its a great bike i love it and it as plenty of power for right now

• Thomas6x

Posted September 05, 2007 - 06:08 PM

On my 99 400 I would roll it over two times to get the oil going and it would start first kick every time, Hot or cold.Loved it.:thumbsup:

• Fastest1

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:07 AM

4 kicks to start, check your valve adjustment. To those who are still hesitant, dont be. Your bike will never start easier. The people who refuse to do the mod claiming the starting ritual is fine and quick would have been the same people who thought a wheel wouldnt work! Change is difficult for many, others know it is the ONLY constant.

• 00 Kracker 00

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:46 PM

In my opinion, its more like fixing something that aint broke.

I get along fine with the comp release, i'd rather tap that everyonce in a while, than tear into my top end .

• Fastest1

Posted September 07, 2007 - 10:21 AM

In my opinion, its more like fixing something that aint broke.

I get along fine with the comp release, i'd rather tap that everyonce in a while, than tear into my top end .

I see you have 446 kit in a 400? Not sure how you attained 446, combo big bore and stroked crank? You didnt mind doing that, but you wouldnt remove the valve cover and do 1 hours work so you would never have to do any ritual and could easily restart while rolling? Are yours wheels round? Anyone who thinks it is work, probably doesnt like changing the oil either. At least Yamaha thought it was a worthy upgrade.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.