Tail rack for the L

13 replies to this topic
  • Hooter4444

Posted August 31, 2007 - 01:12 PM

I posted this on another thread, but in case someone was looking for a quality tail rack I am posting on a new thread.

Just got the tail rack in, and like most of you I went tearing through my toolbox just to get my lastest addition onto the Pig. Well before I did that I weighed the rack, and it came in at 2lb 12oz. Being a welder for 10+ years it is actually quality work. All welds are of pretty good quality and the powder coating is very nice. It comes with two replacement bolts for the turn signals and as a plus they are metric also. I can see no flaws to make me not recommend it to anyone. It installed rather easily, only took about 5 min to get the old one off and install the new. The under frame was tweaked abit, and it took a little persuading to get the left side bolt in. The rack feels very solid and i gave it a few hard tugs and it almost lifted the rear ties off the ground, so I have to say its solid. It may not be a nice shiny aluminum rack, but this one is nice and at half the cost, it is worth it to me

Here is the link and it has some good pics of the rack

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

:ride:

• wheelnut46

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:27 PM

I like that one a lot more than the other one on Ebay. Cheaper too.
:thumbsup:

• Whiteman

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:26 PM

I have that one and it works very well.

• blue_chip68

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:10 AM

Bought the same rack on Ebay. It took me like 3 hours to get the sucker on though. The holes did not want to line up. If I had a buddy with me to lift up on the rear fender I could have had it on in like 10 minutes.

It's sweet though.

• pigryder

Posted September 05, 2007 - 03:19 PM

A buddy and i bought the same ones and love them :thumbsup: Awesome quality, very well made :ride:

• AtomicGeo

Posted September 05, 2007 - 06:02 PM

Here's the racks on my bike:

http://i218.photobuc...igeo/XR650L.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Avlar

Posted September 05, 2007 - 08:38 PM

Thanks for the info! I've been on the fence about picking this rack up for a while now because I wasn't sure about how it would work out. I think I'm definitely going to be picking that one up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Itchykawa

Posted November 24, 2007 - 01:04 PM

I bought one of these and am well pleased. The powder coating is virtually indestructable. It looks great on my '06 650L - the black finish flows with the black seat top and the rounded profile looks as if it belongs. This might not be as true with some other years and color schemes. It could use some tangs or something to keep bungies in place. I am thinking about drilling several small holes and inserting bolts with nylon lock-nuts for this purpose. If done right, and with small enough bolts, I don't think it would significantly weaken the tubing or spoil the finish.

• Doghouse_Riley

Posted November 29, 2007 - 05:53 AM

I just got one of these racks for an upcoming trip to Death Valley. Installed in less than 10 minutes. I'm going to get the side racks now.

• Manchu

Posted November 29, 2007 - 04:20 PM

Is there any contact info for this seller other than ebay? I'd like to buy one, but I don't wanna go through ebay. :thumbsup:

• quicksilver

Posted November 30, 2007 - 06:55 AM

In the progressive photo display you can save the photos and look at the design. I think most folks could weld up that little guy with a bit of mig welding behind them and some time with measurement tools. The powder coating is what's tough.
I'm going to try it quite soon. There may be some short-cuts as well. I've seen some pretty creative racks from guy's who couldn't weld (but they could turn a wrench). -{But if you don't like to play; $65 is cheap.}-

Oh, you could check out Baja Designs for a pre-fab (I don't like eBay either).

• Norge

Posted November 30, 2007 - 07:19 AM

If you eliminated the stock turn signal mounts, then this rack won't fit without shims. If you have a Maier MX rear fender, then the rack will be difficult to mount.

I have the dimensions of this rack and plan on building a modified version. Mounts will be to the inside of tubing and 1" longer to accommodate missing Turn signal mounts and Maier fender. Rounded corners are nice for when you eject from the bike.

• Itchykawa

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:10 PM

Manchu,

You can email him to ask any questions through Ebay before you buy. That is what I did. He is flexible about payment methods and communicates extremely well. Quick turn around and no hassles. His Ebay name is losi3030. He was great to do business with.

Cheers

• Fire362

Posted November 30, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Will this fit on a XR400R? Where can I get the side rack?
Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.