Just bought my 99 WR400 for $1500!

16 replies to this topic
  • fadingfastsd

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:23 PM

Hey guys,

Ive been riding bikes for years, had alot of different ones. Since selling my 01 CR250 a year ago, I had an 86 XL250, and sold that a couple weeks ago.

I've been thinking about getting another bike, and this time a bigger 4 stroke, kinda throwing around the idea of getting something street legal, but not necessary at all.

Anyways, during my daily cruise of Craigslist, I came up on an ad for a 99 WR400 that was street legal locally advertised for $2000. This seemed like a good deal by itself, but the ad said the guy would take the first cash offer cuz he needed it gone.

Long story short, I headed over there with $1500 cash. The guy had bounced a check for his mortgage payment, and needed cash immediately. 20 minutes later, a clean 99 WR 400 was mine, title/reg and all and I rode it home.

This bike is street legal, plated with a Baja Designs kit. It's got a full FMF Power Core exhaust system, Pro Circuit triple clamps with Renthal Fat Bars, revalved/sprung forks and shock, One Industries graphics, ASV levers, Devol radiator guards, Pro Circuit engine cases.

The bike is a little grumpy to start, and idles a little rough, but runs like a bat out of hell over 1/4 throttle or so. I'm going to tear the carb down and put in a new plug...just do all the basics. The bike has sat for the last 4 months or so without being ridden, so it needs a little tune up.

But bottomline....I got an absolute hell of deal for $1500!!!!

What do you guys think? I'm totally new to WR's, never owned a Yamaha dirtbike other than my old 74 DT125 enduro (street plated too).

Evan

• tntmo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:29 PM

I saw that bike on San Diego craigslist. Looks to me like you got a great deal. I have a similar bike and if I had known he would have taken $1500 I would have bought it for spare parts at that price! Mine has been a great bike so far. Check the valve clearances, change the oil and ride the hell out of it! For dual sport rides check out http://www.dualsport-sd.com/

• fadingfastsd

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:36 PM

hey TNTMO thanks for the info. I've had an account on dualsport-sd for awhile, although I'm not very active there. My brother actually works with the guy that started that site in the first place!

Ya the bike was a killer deal for the price, I can't believe I got there first! It was an awesome deal.

• C-P

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:54 PM

Definitely check 'er over and ditto on the valves. The one thing mine loves to do is start cold...one kick. Do you have the starting procedure dialed? Enjoy!

• bd7

Posted August 31, 2007 - 02:26 AM

Hey guys,

Ive been riding bikes for years, had alot of different ones. Since selling my 01 CR250 a year ago, I had an 86 XL250, and sold that a couple weeks ago.

I've been thinking about getting another bike, and this time a bigger 4 stroke, kinda throwing around the idea of getting something street legal, but not necessary at all.

Anyways, during my daily cruise of Craigslist, I came up on an ad for a 99 WR400 that was street legal locally advertised for $2000. This seemed like a good deal by itself, but the ad said the guy would take the first cash offer cuz he needed it gone.

Long story short, I headed over there with $1500 cash. The guy had bounced a check for his mortgage payment, and needed cash immediately. 20 minutes later, a clean 99 WR 400 was mine, title/reg and all and I rode it home.

This bike is street legal, plated with a Baja Designs kit. It's got a full FMF Power Core exhaust system, Pro Circuit triple clamps with Renthal Fat Bars, revalved/sprung forks and shock, One Industries graphics, ASV levers, Devol radiator guards, Pro Circuit engine cases.

The bike is a little grumpy to start, and idles a little rough, but runs like a bat out of hell over 1/4 throttle or so. I'm going to tear the carb down and put in a new plug...just do all the basics. The bike has sat for the last 4 months or so without being ridden, so it needs a little tune up.

But bottomline....I got an absolute hell of deal for $1500!!!!

What do you guys think? I'm totally new to WR's, never owned a Yamaha dirtbike other than my old 74 DT125 enduro (street plated too).

Evan

i saw that bike too on craigs.. good job! post a pic! actually, now i think it was a different wr400.. anyway.. good job and still post a pic!

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 31, 2007 - 01:11 PM

Sat for 4 months.... idles rough....?

Drain all the fuel out of it and replace with fresh fuel...:thumbsup:

My first WR was a 99' and aside from starting when hot it was probably the one I enjoyed the most... It was a canadian model, more power than my other 3 WR's:excuseme:

• xrmarty

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Congrats, sounds like a really nice deal. Where are those deals when I'm looking for a bike???????

• fadingfastsd

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:58 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. The bike is pretty awesome and runs strong. I've since torn down the carb and cleaned it. I also replaced the plug. The bike has an FMF Power Core muffler as the only engine mod that i know of. It is a bear to start though. I follow the starting procedure as outlined on this site, and it is still very hard to start. Takes 10 minutes of kicking when cold to get started. Its a little easier when warm, but still takes a couple kicks. Its got fresh gas too. Any tips?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kjr247

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:35 AM

I had a similar situation. While looking for a bike for my brother...I stumbled upon a '99 WR400 in the Sunday paper for $1500. Thinking it was a beater, I called the guy to find out. The guy said it was nice, so I went to see it and bought it. The bike was 100% stock and he was the origonal owner. I bought the bike, called my brother and he did not want a water-cooled bike. Now, my wife thinks :thumbsup: I am going to sell my XR4...maybe not.

I went thru the whole bike. Check the steering stem bearings and clean the carb. I replaced the AP diaphram in the carb. Idles smoother and the throttle response is better. I still need to take off the swing arm and grease them. I also put 10W oil in the forks to stiffen them up. (I weigh 230)

You'll love that WR. That bike rocks...

• Bamster

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:53 AM

I just sold my 99 WR 400 for 2800 Canuckian loonies

• Legend_XL

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. The bike is pretty awesome and runs strong. I've since torn down the carb and cleaned it. I also replaced the plug. The bike has an FMF Power Core muffler as the only engine mod that i know of. It is a bear to start though. I follow the starting procedure as outlined on this site, and it is still very hard to start. Takes 10 minutes of kicking when cold to get started. Its a little easier when warm, but still takes a couple kicks. Its got fresh gas too. Any tips?

Are you giving it gas when you are kicking the thing over? I know if i give mine any gas at all I have to kick it over for a while before it will start. Try not touching the throttle at all while kicking it over. An easy way to avoid it is to put your hand on the tank instead of the throttle grip. That should help you out a bit.

• fadingfastsd

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the tip. When it hasnt been started in a day or two, i just give it about 2 quick turns of the throttle. Then while attempting to start I don't touch the throttle again. This thing is really a pain to start. I've been looking at the Edelbrock carbs, are these worth it? I'm seeing them for around $390 on Ebay. One of my throttle cables is worn and splitting pretty bad, and I'm seeing the Edelbrock's come with new cables...so is it worth putting a new carb on there?

Any adjustments on the carb to make starting easier?

Any of you guys that said you saw the bike on CL are you local in San Diego? If you want to come check it out maybe give me a hand and show me what i'm missing on starting this thing regularly...i've got cold beers!

• tntmo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 01:10 PM

Any of you guys that said you saw the bike on CL are you local in San Diego? If you want to come check it out maybe give me a hand and show me what i'm missing on starting this thing regularly...i've got cold beers!

I'm in Lemon Grove, don't know how close that is to you but I'm willing to help. Beer me!

:thumbsup:

• fadingfastsd

Posted September 04, 2007 - 09:56 PM

Hey guys. Well TNTMO helped me out today, and I owe him alot of beer thats for sure. We tore the carb down again, cleaned it up, and checked the valve clearances. The valves are within spec and there were no problems on the top end. The diaphragm in the accelerator pump is pretty worn, so I'm going to be replacing that.

Here are my jetting specs as of right now:

Pilot Jet - 45
Main Jet - 172
Starter Jet - 60
Main Air Jet - 200
Pilot Air Jet - 75
Needle - OBDTM - 3rd clip

The only engine mods are an FMF Power Core 4 can, and no airbox lid.

The bike is now starting pretty damn well, within 2 kicks or so. I think the hard starting problem was a combination of the carb and me being incompetent.

The problems I'm having now are a pretty rough idle, and a ton of backfiring/popping at idle, and especially on deceleration. Any ideas on this? tntmo and I were thinking the bike is jetted a too lean on the pilot for that exhaust/open airbox? Looking through the jetting thread I saw alot of guys running a 48 pilot jet...should I go up to that? How many turns out should I have the fuel mixture screw set at?

Thanks for the help guys, and especially TNTMO!!! You've got beers on the way.

• bd7

Posted September 05, 2007 - 10:36 AM

Congrats, sounds like a really nice deal. Where are those deals when I'm looking for a bike???????

no kidding.. same here.. i never find those deals.. anyway..
you maybe should post your jetting questions in the jetting forum.. might find a jetting 'guru' to give his 2 cents..

i still think you should post a pic.. i gotta see what 1500 bucks got ya! good luck with that bike. :thumbsup:
Bill.

• tntmo

Posted September 05, 2007 - 07:33 PM

No problem, wish I knew a bit more about jetting these carbs. There are some real experts in the jetting forum, they should set you straight. When it's running perfect then it's time to hit the trails!

• 2006wr450f

Posted September 06, 2007 - 06:46 AM

Wheres the pictures of your beast?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.