Please Help Before I Hammer It To Death

5 replies to this topic
  • ridinredneck

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:05 PM

could someone tell me how to get the fork cap loose from the rest of the crap under it. i unscrewded it and everything inside wants to pull out with it. how does it seperate? forks are still on the bike, 99wr400f. thanks :foul: :banghead:

• Solo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:15 PM

The cap is threaded to the stuff inside too. I don't have the manual in front of me right now. If you don't get an answer soon I'll go look it up.

• ridinredneck

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:22 PM

this is my first time messing with these type of forks. how can you unscrew the cap from the stuff?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Cirus

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:42 PM

Get a open end wrench, can't remember what size and hold the nut under the fork cap. While holding the nut break the cap loose with a wrench or socket. The cap will spin off.

• ncampion

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:45 PM

You're going to need a service manual. Cirus advice is correct, but when you go to reassemble the distance that the lock nut is from the top is very important for the valving to work properly. If you're just changing seals, my advise is to not take them apart any further than getting the cap off. Manuals are available on line as a download. Good luck

• ridinredneck

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:52 PM

thanks for the replys guys. got it done. thanks again

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.