TransworldMX 08 yZ450f test

28 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:35 PM

...i wasn't saying that MXA pampers the blue bikes or lies or is payed to speak good about them

I was kidding with you. "MXA always favors Yamaha" is one of the most often repeated bits 'o' BS I hear. Most don't remember all the times they've been critical. (think how the KTM guys must feel)

When the MXA did the 06 450 test they said it was the lightest 450 and handled awesome, and did not have a push. When the 07 test came out the 450 Suddenly developed a push, even though the 07 turned better than the 06 , then in one issue the said that the push on the 07 was unfixable. MXA needs to make up their mind.

Impressively cognizant point for a 15 year-old kid from the South to bring up, I'd say. Much like all the comments about how the '06 that was so lacking in low end grunt when it was introduced is now suddenly a torque monster of some kind. a little consistency would be nice, eh?

• al711

Posted August 31, 2007 - 04:33 PM

Guys I'm new to the forum, but I've enjoyed reading the posts for quite sometime. I'm 41 years old and been back riding and racing MX for about 4 years now. Bikes that I've owned include 05 kx250f, 05 rmz 450, 06 yz250f with a Lukes racing 262 kit and most recently a 2008 yz450f(bought it last Sat.) I would like to say based on the break in and subsequent riding I did Sunday this is by far the best bike I've owned. I'm 5'10" 170lbs and probably somewhere around novice to intermediate level. I love it, turns better than my yz250f(with applied 27mm clamps) and is smooth as silk. I'm racing 40+ Sunday at Millcreek,Al. I should know whether I'm faster or slower based on the fact I race basically the same group of guys each week, I'll let you guys know how I did, but I love this bike!

• adamdf

Posted August 31, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Guys I'm new to the forum, but I've enjoyed reading the posts for quite sometime. I'm 41 years old and been back riding and racing MX for about 4 years now. Bikes that I've owned include 05 kx250f, 05 rmz 450, 06 yz250f with a Lukes racing 262 kit and most recently a 2008 yz450f(bought it last Sat.) I would like to say based on the break in and subsequent riding I did Sunday this is by far the best bike I've owned. I'm 5'10" 170lbs and probably somewhere around novice to intermediate level. I love it, turns better than my yz250f(with applied 27mm clamps) and is smooth as silk. I'm racing 40+ Sunday at Millcreek,Al. I should know whether I'm faster or slower based on the fact I race basically the same group of guys each week, I'll let you guys know how I did, but I love this bike!

Congrats, enjoy the new bike and thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

I was kidding with you. "MXA always favors Yamaha" is one of the most often repeated bits 'o' BS I hear. Most don't remember all the times they've been critical. (think how the KTM guys must feel)

Impressively cognizant point for a 15 year-old kid from the South to bring up, I'd say. Much like all the comments about how the '06 that was so lacking in low end grunt when it was introduced is now suddenly a torque monster of some kind. a little consistency would be nice, eh?

To comment further on the inconsistency with the mags, even racerx shocked me in their 07 450 shootout as well. In 06 the kawi got high praise and Pingree picked it as his favourite of them all. In 07 kawi made about 50 changes to improve the bike that they all loved so much, and in the 07 shootout the kawi got a resounding last place almost across the board.

• CRF250dude26

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Congrats, enjoy the new bike and thanks for sharing your initial impressions.

To comment further on the inconsistency with the mags, even racerx shocked me in their 07 450 shootout as well. In 06 the kawi got high praise and Pingree picked it as his favourite of them all. In 07 kawi made about 50 changes to improve the bike that they all loved so much, and in the 07 shootout the kawi got a resounding last place almost across the board.

I own the kawi 450 and I HATE it, it is a 06 model and I can not stand it, it does not turn, the rear suspsenion sucks, amd the forks seals are completly blown after 2 rides. I will be riding a yamaha soon most likely a 250F. I did own a RMZ450 before that and I wish I had never sold it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adamdf

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:14 PM

Hey Gray, check out this review from the guys at motorcycle usa. It ain't a yami, but it is a blue bike, and the review made it sound very very interesting.

http://www.motorcycl...eID=5216&Page=1

• kx1984

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:44 PM

I rode an 08 yz450f last weekend. Just in the pits fpr a little while. Actually rode two of them. I have not been able to stop thinking about the bike since. I want one. They both already had Dr.D pipes on them and one had the R&D float bowl. Super smooth compared to my bikes (06 CRF450r and 07 KTM450xc). I was all excited and went over and told a buddy about how killer I thought they were. He said " dude ,MXA thrashed the new bike. " When I got home from he races I imediately bought the MXA online subsciption deal so I could read the test. MXA said that even if you put an aftermarket pipe on the 08 it would still be slower than the 07. They said it was down 6 HP from 07. I don't know if there is a bad batch of bike or what but the bikes I rode felt quick and there was no vibration at all. That alone made it feel better than my honda. Keep in mind I have never got along with my Honda. I think the bike is super rigid and that the forks are brutal on braking bumps. I have worked with the Honda for over a year and I'm done. MXA has said that the Yamaha is a 180 from the Honda and I just figured out that I like the Yamaha better. Even if it was just in the pits ,the Yamaha felt comfortable and just good overall. I never knew what they meant by smooth and vibration free motor till I got to ride the Yamaha. I had just stepped of my honda and the difference is hard to believs. I would put it like this ,The Honda engine feels like a Harley and the Yamaha feels like a GSXR. I dont mean in speed but rather how the motor runs even when just sitting in the pits. Just a lttle input from a guy that rode a couple of YZs. I will ride them again next weekend on the track and hope I come away with the same great feeling about them. I just hope I can hold off from buying one before then. The MXA test has me spooked.

• djtroy

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:24 PM

Over the weekend I got a chance to take a couple laps on an 08. I would agree with the fact it's a bit soft on bottom compared to the competition. The owner said he's changing the exhaust asap which I believe will help it out. My 07 responded nicely to the exhaust change. I didn't ride the bike long enough to really get a good impression of it...it was brand new, so like most new bikes it felt nice and tight.

While I don't put a lot on a magazine opinion of a bike I did see that while the Transworld guys wrote a pretty good review of the bike the MXA test basically threw it under the bus...especially the motor.

I have made some serious changes to the 08. I wil keep you posted as to what I think of the bike now. Hoping the exhaust will make a difference.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=547211

• leanin

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:13 PM

They all test this way. The early tests love the bike. The mid year tests start getting picky. The end of the year tests make you feel like you bought a pile of junk........Then surprise! Its new model time and the cycle repeats.

that is so true! many buyers seem to fall for it every year!

• brennan duncan

Posted September 04, 2007 - 04:34 PM

They all test this way. The early tests love the bike. The mid year tests start getting picky. The end of the year tests make you feel like you bought a pile of junk........Then surprise! Its new model time and the cycle repeats.

I second the trend above about ALL the motorcycle magazine tests. After 30 + years reading the tests on the newest bikes I finally concluded that in order to really know what the various testers think about a bike I must wait for the end of the year to come around :thumbsup: That's what especially surprising about the new MXA test on the 450-they dogged it right off-with special emphasis on the motor. Haven't seen that kind of report in a while about a Yamaha from MXA :ride:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.