Turbo Kit for YZ450f

13 replies to this topic
  • Twig323

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:46 PM

NO I DO NOT HAVE ONE. I am in search of this tho. Any one know of a company that makes kits? If not i guess im gonna have to make my own. I think a supermoto with turbo would be funner than street bike for now.

• kelstr

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:10 PM

NO I DO NOT HAVE ONE. I am in search of this tho. Any one know of a company that makes kits? If not i guess im gonna have to make my own. I think a supermoto with turbo would be funner than street bike for now.

i installed one that i made up ,---i built a blow through and i use a single fogger wet kit nos along with it .( it was 78 hp w/out nos--100 with nos- )
( i ran 20 psi bost and i beleive the tyson also runs 20 )
there is now i beleive a company called "Tyson Racing" that makes a kit form of what i built and made .

but ------you have to understand that it is not really rideable for what you want.

it is a hill shooter and or sand drag racer only !!!

it is alot harder than you think to make a single cylinder turbo become ridable for road racing or mx .

the thing is dam scarry and hard to controll ---------but in a straight line it goes like hell :crazy:

oh i just rememberd there was a company called K & S that i saw a "turbo nos fi kit" made up for a 450 that looked really clean and went real well this year at the dunes , ----------but still unriedable for what you are after .

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:49 PM

I just dynoed a yz450 stock bore and stroke naturally aspirated i have a new cam thats helping a bit we got 60.8 hp and 37.6 pounds of torque using a CHM mx exhaust its quiet also only a 1 5/8 out let using mr 11 the mr 9 would have pushed it higher but its not legal .when it goes back in the after market frame with the better air intake and low exhaust system we will surly be over 62 hp .

• kelstr

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:39 PM

I just dynoed a yz450 stock bore and stroke naturally aspirated i have a new cam thats helping a bit we got 60.8 hp and 37.6 pounds of torque using a CHM mx exhaust its quiet also only a 1 5/8 out let using mr 11 the mr 9 would have pushed it higher but its not legal .when it goes back in the after market frame with the better air intake and low exhaust system we will surly be over 62 hp .

Ron that is very good.:worthy:
i have a possible 08 yz 450f that one of my pros from MN wants 2 motors for his kid next year.

Ron is the curv nice and flat for good normal mx work ?
and do you need core cams ?

• shortburb

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:06 PM

100 HP on turbo and spray?

to me that sounds like a sweet hillclimb bike. I think a stock 450 with a long swingarm and 100HP would be where its at. none of the weight of an inline 4...

• 1rkcooper

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:28 PM

I was just talking to one of my nieghbors who is getting a turbo kit for his Grizzly quad. Apparently the company already makes them for Raptors and he was going to buy a Raptor kit and adapt it but the guy said he was working on a kit for the Grizzlies and when ready he will ship the first one out to him. No, I have no idea what the company is called, just that there are some kits available out there. Who knows, mybe there is one for the YZ450.

• Twig323

Posted August 30, 2007 - 10:04 PM

i installed one that i made up ,---i built a blow through and i use a single fogger wet kit nos along with it .( it was 78 hp w/out nos--100 with nos- )
( i ran 20 psi bost and i beleive the tyson also runs 20 )
there is now i beleive a company called "Tyson Racing" that makes a kit form of what i built and made .

but ------you have to understand that it is not really rideable for what you want.

it is a hill shooter and or sand drag racer only !!!

it is alot harder than you think to make a single cylinder turbo become ridable for road racing or mx .

the thing is dam scarry and hard to controll ---------but in a straight line it goes like hell :crazy:

oh i just rememberd there was a company called K & S that i saw a "turbo nos fi kit" made up for a 450 that looked really clean and went real well this year at the dunes , ----------but still unriedable for what you are after .

Damn that would be sweet!!! I love the dune and that may be the rought i end up taking. But if I did not run the boost at 20psi im sure it could be managable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Polar_Bus

Posted August 31, 2007 - 04:14 AM

This also sounds like one crank rod blown right through the case. Yamaha DIDN'T engineer the 450 engine platform to withstand 100 hp.....

• Ron Hamp

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:48 AM

Ron that is very good.:worthy:
i have a possible 08 yz 450f that one of my pros from MN wants 2 motors for his kid next year.

Ron is the curv nice and flat for good normal mx work ?
and do you need core cams ?

our first peoria bike made just over 58 hp with a wide curve i managed to get that power with my cams and a head with oem valves and some new port work along with a carb bored simlar to hondas 07 450 and the chm .Tod Dehoop rode this bike 2 a local mx track and loved the power the ccams were also the same as used in Clark styles bike when it was tested by dirt rider and chosen over the honda that was tested .

• kelstr

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:57 AM

our first peoria bike made just over 58 hp with a wide curve i managed to get that power with my cams and a head with oem valves and some new port work along with a carb bored simlar to hondas 07 450 and the chm .Tod Dehoop rode this bike 2 a local mx track and loved the power the ccams were also the same as used in Clark styles bike when it was tested by dirt rider and chosen over the honda that was tested .

58 hp with a wide curve-----that sounds like a honda ,----thats really good.
i have been playing with a 450 yami and got ahold of some yamaha cams.

and by playing with different lobe centers i got the bike to 57 hp, but the curv was not flat like a honda, -----i settled for 55 hp with a flat honda like curve and the bike was way better and easier to go fast on .

i will call you Ronnie when i get some cores and grab you new grinds for this 08 stuff i should be doing here shortly !!:worthy: :thumbsup:

• kelstr

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:06 AM

Damn that would be sweet!!! I love the dune and that may be the rought i end up taking. But if I did not run the boost at 20psi im sure it could be managable.

well there is a huge problem with a turbo on a single cylinder bike , ---the uneven small exhaust pulss really does not spin the fan very well, -----and you need a huge 300 hp size of unit to make any power.

the next one that i do , i will try a stadged duall pitch fan and i will use a suck through set up with fi on it .

i think this will yeald better all around performance.

its just hard to turbo a single cylinder.

i had made up a little belt driven supercharger for my 250r trx that was kinda cool , it elemanated the need to use the exhaust to spin the fan .

ultimatly i feel a super charger would be the answer all around.

and i think it will fit ok on a yf or trx, ----but the yz ----that will take some carefull thought and work !:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2007 - 09:04 AM

One of the reasons for this is that the single cylinder engine, in spite of producing roughly the same volume of exhaust gas, does not produce it in as steady a flow as a 4 cylinder, or even a twin, which leads to a lower average velocity at lower speeds. Turbos are driven by exhaust gas, and at low speeds, and light throttle openings, where the volume and velocity of the exhaust are both low, the turbo turns at speeds too low to produce any boost. Once the throttle is opened and the engine revs up, a point is reached where the turbo is being driven fast enough to produce manifold pressures in excess of atmospheric, and the boost phase begins. The thing is that this causes more air fuel to be run through the engine, which results in even greater exhaust volume, which causes more throughput, which increases gas volume, which.... you see where that goes. This phenomena is known as "spool up", and is one of the reasons a pressure limiter is required on a turbo.

This effect can cause a sudden spike in the power curve as the manifold pressure passes from negative to positive (vacuum to boost pressure), and although it can be minimized by proper selection of exhaust and intake scroll housing sizes and impellers/turbines, it is fundamentally exaggerated in a single to begin with. Imagine a 100 horsepower 400cc two-stroke twin, and you get the picture.

This also sounds like one crank rod blown right through the case. Yamaha DIDN'T engineer the 450 engine platform to withstand 100 hp.....

It does sound like a shrapnel fiesta about to happen, doesn't it?

• Darvo

Posted August 31, 2007 - 10:52 AM

to me that sounds like a sweet hillclimb bike. I think a stock 450 with a long swingarm and 100HP would be where its at. none of the weight of an inline 4...

If you had a 450 with 100hp and a long swing arm, I'm pretty sure you couldn't call it stock.:p

• CRF250X Rider

Posted November 30, 2007 - 08:47 PM

http://www.thumperta...highlight=turbo

Related Content

Wiki
Computer fans for rads on Dirtbike? - last post by kwbmxr123

Computer fans for rads on Dirtbike?

Wiki Articles
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 prices? by rk8950

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Problem with 14 450s by boegey

• Hot  40 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Yamaha YZ450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 3 reviews
  • Last review by mastamax
  • On October 07, 2014
Forums
Photo

Clutch arm spring help by rustynail

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.