jetting issue. quick question

14 replies to this topic
  • 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:53 AM

Now, before i get accused of not searching..dont, i did looked around but cant find the quick answer to my specific problem.

Ive got a 2006 XR650L and I'm using the DJ kit, set to there recommendations, with a full exhaust system. The bike has a flat spot at low rpms, almost a bog if you give it "not enough" gas. It feels like its dragging and i cant figure it out whether its air, fuel or both that need to be adjusted. when i do give it choke it seems to accelerate much smoother and the bike feels "lighter" if you know what i mean. Thanks for any comments

• martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:02 AM

what pilot jet? a pumper carb will fix this.

• Denn10

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:38 AM

also where is your air/fuel screw set at. AND go to the jetting forum and theres a sticky about fuel screw settings that will prolly help you too.NM here ya go check this

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 10:25 AM

what pilot jet? a pumper carb will fix this.

what ever came stock...

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 10:26 AM

also where is your air/fuel screw set at. AND go to the jetting forum and theres a sticky about fuel screw settings that will prolly help you too.NM here ya go check this

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=327405

thats a good trick...didnt know that

• martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 10:57 AM

what ever came stock...

you dont know what jets have been put in/replaced by someone else. best to check for yourself.

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:02 AM

you dont know what jets have been put in/replaced by someone else. best to check for yourself.

the bike was stock...and i changed out the main jet and thats it..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:04 AM

stock was 52, too lean... put 55 in it and readjust fuel screw. then adj. idle.

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:12 AM

stock was 52, too lean... put 55 in it and readjust fuel screw. then adj. idle.

Ok..this may sound stupid...where do you get that?

• Denn10

Posted August 30, 2007 - 12:37 PM

Do you have smog stuff still on bike? If you have the DJ kit do you know for sure if the spring was replaced? Is carb on bike and running and your just gathering info before you tear apart?

• axarob44

Posted August 30, 2007 - 12:49 PM

2000dr650, I just did my Dyno-Jet kit 2 weeks ago and I had the same problem you are having. I have a full exhaust also, removed the snorkel and use a Uni filter. I put the DJ kit in and I was having an off idle bog that was driving me crazy, so I ended up putting in a 55 pilot jet (26 series, 21 is the long version) and drilled the slide as in the "Dave's Mods", and I am very happy with the results. I was leery of drilling the slide along with the DJ kit, but I read here about other guys doing it and it worked out great. The pilot jet was a little hard to find local, so I ordered a 26 series from http://www.carbparts.com/index.html. If you look at the site for "Dave's Mods", it shows how you can use the series 21 jet, but you have to trim the slosh baffle to prevent it from blocking the pilot jet. Look here http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/. Dyno-Jets says you don't need a pilot jet with the kit because the shape of the needle makes you not need one. It made all the difference for me and drilling the slide works great for throttle response. So, heres my set-up. Dyno-Jet 165 main jet, Dyno-Jet needle, needle clip in third groove from top, 55 pilot jet (26 series), drilled slide to 5/32, Fuel mixture screw 2.5 turns out from close, Uni filter, snorkle removed, FMF full system. Also I'm at about sea level.

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:01 PM

Do you have smog stuff still on bike? If you have the DJ kit do you know for sure if the spring was replaced? Is carb on bike and running and your just gathering info before you tear apart?

desmogged...and the carb is on my bike as we speak..spring was changed as per instructions from dynojet...ive done alot of these DJ's on other bikes and never had any issues, however, im aware that other L riders prefer daves' mod. I just got the DJ before I knew of dave. And yes..im gatering info before i start poking around

• martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:17 PM

Ok..this may sound stupid...where do you get that?

this is what worked on my pig. after many times pulling the carb out and trying new jets.

also make sure you have the lighter spring like denn said and drill the slide too. i know they say not too, but i drilled the slide after a few miles. it helped.

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:21 PM

2000dr650, I just did my Dyno-Jet kit 2 weeks ago and I had the same problem you are having. I have a full exhaust also, removed the snorkel and use a Uni filter. I put the DJ kit in and I was having an off idle bog that was driving me crazy, so I ended up putting in a 55 pilot jet (26 series, 21 is the long version) and drilled the slide as in the "Dave's Mods", and I am very happy with the results. I was leery of drilling the slide along with the DJ kit, but I read here about other guys doing it and it worked out great. The pilot jet was a little hard to find local, so I ordered a 26 series from http://www.carbparts.com/index.html. If you look at the site for "Dave's Mods", it shows how you can use the series 21 jet, but you have to trim the slosh baffle to prevent it from blocking the pilot jet. Look here http://www.4strokes....xr650lcarbmods/. Dyno-Jets says you don't need a pilot jet with the kit because the shape of the needle makes you not need one. It made all the difference for me and drilling the slide works great for throttle response. So, heres my set-up. Dyno-Jet 165 main jet, Dyno-Jet needle, needle clip in third groove from top, 55 pilot jet (26 series), drilled slide to 5/32, Fuel mixture screw 2.5 turns out from close, Uni filter, snorkle removed, FMF full system. Also I'm at about sea level.

Thanks for all the info..were on the same page for sure....i'm set just like you . minus the 26 series pilot, and the slide drill trick.....Il check out those links:thumbsup:

• 2000dr650

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:23 PM

this is what worked on my pig. after many times pulling the carb out and trying new jets.

also make sure you have the lighter spring like denn said and drill the slide too. i know they say not too, but i drilled the slide after a few miles. it helped.

what I meant to say is "where would i find the 55 pilot jet" , i was too lazy to correct it originally....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.