Electric start is being a pain in A$$

19 replies to this topic
  • ezl_oo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:03 AM

I just bought this 2001 xr650l and it has a Keihin FCR pumper carb, FMF ti4 full exhaust system including the PowerBomb header, K&N Pod air filter, and Scotts stainless steel oil filter. The guy I bought it off to me to twist the throttle like 3 times really quick to prime the carb and then hit the e-start and it should start right up. But I find myself doing this procedure like 4 or 5 times before I get it to start. I also have to hold the e-start for a while before it finally catches and starts the bike. When I'm on the streets it looks like my bike died on me and I can't start it (I look like a fool on the streets when the bike doesn't start right up). Is this normal or is there a technique? Any help will be appreciated and I will do any mod to have this thing start right up in the first try everytime. :banghead:

• LeadDoggy

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:28 AM

maybe try cracking the throttle just a tiny bit while craking.....

• MartinDKtm

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:50 AM

I got the Edelbrock pumper and normally a single twist is enought and the bike start in a quarter turn. Maybe you pump is adjusted too lean? I dont really know the kehin.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:56 AM

It sounds like the jetting needs to be fine tuned.

If you crack the throttle and it starts better, its rich on the pilot circuit, or maybe after a few shots of raw gas it needs a little throttle?

Or maybe he was giving it small, sharp twists and you're giving it full twists?

When it stalls when warm, try holding the throttle open all the way to see if it starts- if so, then its flooding.

Warm starts with my stock/modded carb needs a touch of throttle to start warm.

Best thing to do is to find out what jets you have, and compare with a similar setup. Youll find someone, I;'m sure, between here, 4strokes, advrider, and the yahoo xrlug group.

Dave

• ezl_oo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:04 AM

Yea Dave I think he was giving it small sharp twists, but it still took him like 3 tries at the e-start before he got it up and running. When the bike is warm and hot it starts easily with 1 or 2 tries. The problem is when it's cold. On the second attempt at the e-start the exhaust pops like the bike is about to start but never does. I have to hold the e-start for a long time for it to finally turn over. I don't like holding the e-start for that long as I think it will mess up the bike?? Dave where in NY you from, I"m new to the supermoto game and want to find people to ride with?

Thanks for all the help

• martinfan30

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:06 AM

ive got a 05 xr650l with a fcr 41 pumper, e2 slipon, uni pod filter and ground down header welds. i run 158/52 two turns out. 3rd clip position. im at 4300 ft. mine starts just by hitting the button only.

find out what jets are in it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:05 PM

Yea Dave I think he was giving it small sharp twists, but it still took him like 3 tries at the e-start before he got it up and running. When the bike is warm and hot it starts easily with 1 or 2 tries. The problem is when it's cold. On the second attempt at the e-start the exhaust pops like the bike is about to start but never does. I have to hold the e-start for a long time for it to finally turn over. I don't like holding the e-start for that long as I think it will mess up the bike?? Dave where in NY you from, I"m new to the supermoto game and want to find people to ride with?

Thanks for all the help

I think you can crank on the e-start quite a bit before damaging anything- the batt will go dead 1st, I'm sure.

I'm near cortland NY, and I'm set up about the opposite of supermoto- as dirt-ified tires as I can get.

Dave

• ezl_oo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:19 PM

On the second try after a couple of twist and I hold in the e-start for a long time it will eventually crank over. But, I hate holding the e-start in for that long!

• martinfan30

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:03 AM

sounds too lean on the pilot circuit.

• ezl_oo

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:35 AM

sounds too lean on the pilot circuit.

How do I make it richer?:excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:12 AM

How do I make it richer?:excuseme:

where is the fuel screw set at? should be about 2 turns out. if it doesnt help at that setting find out which pilot it has. you can also try posting a thread in jetting and eddie s. can help (he's very good).

• wheelnut46

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:31 PM

"Electric start is being a pain in A$$"

It's not the electric start that's giving you fits, it's the carb.
Be glad you're not kicking it.

• Huffa 2

Posted September 01, 2007 - 02:14 AM

It sounds like the jetting needs to be fine tuned.

If you crack the throttle and it starts better, its rich on the pilot circuit, or maybe after a few shots of raw gas it needs a little throttle?

Dave

COOL .......... I was just going to post asking this exact question because that's what mine does. COLD/HOT it seems happier with the throttle cracked just a smidgen (cold choke on), so that means I should turn the fuel screw in some and if I don't find enough of a improvement where throttle does not have to be turned I should go to a leaner pilot jet ?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted September 01, 2007 - 04:48 AM

COOL .......... I was just going to post asking this exact question because that's what mine does. COLD/HOT it seems happier with the throttle cracked just a smidgen (cold choke on), so that means I should turn the fuel screw in some and if I don't find enough of a improvement where throttle does not have to be turned I should go to a leaner pilot jet ?

Its a tough call- just because it likes a little gas doesn't mean its too rich, like I said when cold mine likes no throttle, when hot just a little. Still, it could be...

Its one of those things that the only way to tell when you have it just right, is to make it a little leaner/richer and then see that its worse no matter which way you go.

I'm living with slightly rich jetting because it runs pretty good and I'm pretty lazy.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted September 01, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Its a tough call- just because it likes a little gas doesn't mean its too rich, like I said when cold mine likes no throttle, when hot just a little. Still, it could be...

Its one of those things that the only way to tell when you have it just right, is to make it a little leaner/richer and then see that its worse no matter which way you go.

I'm living with slightly rich jetting because it runs pretty good and I'm pretty lazy.

Dave

mine reacts identically.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 01, 2007 - 07:19 PM

Actually it sounds like the valves may be a bit loose. This will create a condition in which the compression is too high for the bike to turn over immediately. The starter is working too hard. Check the valves and see if they are a bit loose.

That is the problem when my 525 acts exactly like your bike. I adjust the valves closer to the specs and it turns over and starts immediately.

• Huffa 2

Posted September 02, 2007 - 07:33 AM

Actually it sounds like the valves may be a bit loose. This will create a condition in which the compression is too high for the bike to turn over immediately. The starter is working too hard. Check the valves and see if they are a bit loose.

That is the problem when my 525 acts exactly like your bike. I adjust the valves closer to the specs and it turns over and starts immediately.

Not sure who your talking to but I did just adjust the valves (were all just a hair loose), matter of fact this condition (cracking throttle to start) was not always there but I can't recall if the condition started after I adjusted the valves or not :thumbsup:

I'm going to fool with the fuel screw 1st.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:36 AM

Not sure who your talking to but I did just adjust the valves (were all just a hair loose), matter of fact this condition (cracking throttle to start) was not always there but I can't recall if the condition started after I adjusted the valves or not :thumbsup:

I'm going to fool with the fuel screw 1st.

I was replying to the fellow who started the thread. It appears like this could be his problem considering all the symptoms he mentioned.

• ezl_oo

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:03 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions I'm going to take it in this weekend to get a oil change and I'm going to have the mechanic get the jetting just right and check the valves and see if this helps.

• Huffa 2

Posted September 05, 2007 - 01:23 AM

Take it in for an oil change ?

Nothing wrong with that but your the 1st I ever heard of having a shop do that.

Make sure and ASK what the exact amount is that they put in, the book says 2.06 approx, some, including mine take 2.75 to put it at the top of fill line.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.