40 Years old needing advice

32 replies to this topic
  • dwililams92

Posted August 30, 2007 - 01:58 AM

I'm 40:ride: Twenty years a ago a did a lot of amateur racing in the east, even rode the first ever Loretta Lynns in the early 80's. I haven't ridden much sinc 1987. The new 4 strokes have totally confused my search for a bike to ride the local tracks with my kids. It seems the 4 strokes have a lot more to be concerned about, and cost a lot more to repair. I'm looking at an 03 YZ450F and an 04 YZ450F. But have never ridden one on dirt. Give me some opinions on 2 vs 4, for a forty year old whose going to try to ride like he's 20 again.

• JaZ

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:51 AM

Hi
Take it from a fellow 40 year old, if you are just getting back into riding and want to be riding with the kids for a while, start off on a 250f and work on technique and fitness, then move up if you like, you will be a better rider for it, look after the bike and you will not loss money. 450fs and 250 two stokes can bite you when you least expect it. You did not say how heavy you are this could be a factor,

• Dukie

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:48 AM

I'm 40:ride: Twenty years a ago a did a lot of amateur racing in the east, even rode the first ever Loretta Lynns in the early 80's. I haven't ridden much sinc 1987. The new 4 strokes have totally confused my search for a bike to ride the local tracks with my kids. It seems the 4 strokes have a lot more to be concerned about, and cost a lot more to repair. I'm looking at an 03 YZ450F and an 04 YZ450F. But have never ridden one on dirt. Give me some opinions on 2 vs 4, for a forty year old whose going to try to ride like he's 20 again.

I'd go for the 2 stroke myself. You can try a flywheel weight on a 2 until you're comfortable with the riding again. Then take it off when you are ready.

• go_speed

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:58 AM

I'm 50 265 lbs an 6'6" tall. An like you I had not rode in the dirt for a while. My riding was either on my harley or my sons R1. I started riding a YZ400f around the shop a few weeks back. it sure didn't take long for the mind to go back 25 years. Some where back in there I had put away my SUPERMAN cape. Well now I ride a KTM 300 exc. the fun factor out of this world. The problem is my cape is no longer bright red. But more of a redish pink. I catch my self doing crap I did 25 tears ago. I think I'm going to go back to the YZ400f. My KTM puts me to close to that thin line. that line that makes you think about how close you are to haven every thing paid for. grand children. an so on. that KTM opened my eyes

Get a 4 stroke it has a cruise mode. you can putput around an still look cool

yz 250,400 or425

• AnthonyB

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:31 AM

I'm 46 and still race, (albeit in the veterans class nowadays), and being 'old school', prefer a two smoke for balls to the wall "stuff" ... nonetheless, there's nothing quite like a four stroke for weekend rides with the kids, (particularly if they come with electric start) :thumbsup:

• USED YZ426F

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:49 AM

Dang! Talk about deja-vu. This is me in a nutshell. Rode a ton in the 70s and 80s, mostly trail riding and enduros, but got out of it all when I joined the Navy in '86. Just picked up a YZ426F about a month ago and absolutely love it.
Now I find myself pushing 40 and working on getting back in shape and learning where my limits are now (40 doesn't heal nearly as fast as 18:thumbsup: )
I would say to get a four stroke. They have tons more power than I remember, good low end, and they will rev like the two strokes did 20 years ago. Maintenance is not much more than what you would need to do to a two stroke.

• Dukie

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:53 AM

different strokes for different folks. Pun intended. IMHO 4 strokes are over rated. Way too heavy and way too much maintainence. Thought I'd never say that and I doubt if I'd feel that way if it weren't for the Fly Wheel Weight on my KTM. It lugs down low like a 4 stroke, won't stall, get's great traction and I can still wind it up into the power band and rip like a 2 stroke. It's easy to work on and light. Best of both worlds.

• SkiDaddy

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:36 AM

It depends on where you ride. I'm 45, ride tight woods/some powerlines, ALL sand w/whoops. My YZ250 is great here. A FWW tames the hit for slower reflexes, it starts first kick if I stop/drop it, no overheating, lighter to muscle in the woods/on the trailer/on the stand.

I rode a WR250F, nice, pleasant, probably faster thru tight woods, but not as good in whoops as the power to carry the front wheel at will wasn't there.

• EdgeRacingProd

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:02 AM

The 450 is too much like work in my opinion. The thing is a beast. I have a 426F now but rode a 125 for 6 years before I made the move. Glad that I spent the time on a smaller bike to get things down before I jumped up.

I'd get a 250F and just have fun. It's plenty fast and has more power than you'll need, but you don't have to push it around as much.

A two stroke takes too much finesse. I've never been one to keep it on the pipe anyways so the 4-stroke has actually helped me a lot.

Good luck. Post some pictures when you get them.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 30, 2007 - 01:14 PM

250f or 450f would be my advice as the 2strokes typically cause you to work more....and get tired quicker

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Captaincautious7

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:14 PM

I am 47 now and began my present restart at 39 after a 10 year layoff. Started off with a XR250 to ride with my son primarily in the woods which changed quickly to tracks which made me switch to a 97 CR250 two-stroke. I have had approximately 15 dirtbikes of which about 50% were two-stroke. That being said when I purchased my 1st 450 4-stroke, "now on my third", I was sold and would never even consider another two-stroke. You are correct that 4's are more expensive to rebuild than 2's but you don't have to rebuild them nearly as often especially a bigbore 450, unless you are one those rare ones who can utilize the complete power of the 450. Get the 450 and take it real slow and I think you will be much happier. A two-stroke will bite you much quicker due to the unpredictabilty of the powerband. Very seldom do you see riders dumping there 4-strokes for two-strokes.

• dwililams92

Posted August 31, 2007 - 02:07 AM

Good answers:-)

I'm 5' 10" and 180lbs.

Think I'll do the YZ250F, and ride like I'm 20 (in my mind anyway)

• NM_KDX200

Posted August 31, 2007 - 11:16 AM

I'm 45 and almost 10 years ago, started riding again. After 6 years on a KDX200 (a superb trail/play bike, IMHO), 2 years ago I decided to ride a little MX before I go too old. I started with a NOS '01 KX125, rode that for almost a year, then tried a KTM 200sx for a couple of months, and finally ended up with my current 450F. I'm glad I started small! Starting with the KX gave me confidence and let me ride MX again w/out being overwhelmed by the bike. It also taught me to use the clutch, something I really hadn't learned to do. The KTM was also a good step. It was a _great_ overall bike, but my particular one had been ridden hard and poorly maintained. Had it been in better condition, I'm sure I would have kept it.

The maintenance on the 250F scared me a little bit and I didn't see much advantage to it over the KTM. In fact, in play-racing with my regular riding buddy, the KTM would pull his YZ250F, it was 15 lbs lighter, and so on. So, I just didn't see any reason to leave a 200 2S for a 250F. I was riding pretty well by then and thought the 450F would be fun (I rode several to help make this decision). I'm glad I did it, although a few months ago, I bought another KX125 (search for "big blue buddy" in this forum) for fun.

I'm glad I rode the 450F but, honestly, for me, it's a little too much. It's big and heavy and I'm sitting here right now about 80% recovered from a bout of tendinitis that I think might have been brought on by the big 4S's engine braking and acceleration. I'm really debating what to do here- trail-ify the YZ, sell it and get a NOS '06 YZ250 sitting on my dealer's floor, sell it and get another KDX for woods and keep the KX for my play-MX, sell both KX and YZ and get a KTM 200XC, or what. Overall, I can't say the YZ has been my favorite bike, although it sure has some strong points (suspension, build quality). I'm not so interested in "going fast" as I am in "riding well", and it's harder to ride well on the big bike. I don't even come close to pushing it, nowhere near what I can do on the 125, for instance. I felt like both the KDX and KTM 200's were a better match for me. Just some things to think about, since you're eyeballing my shoes, so to speak.

Overall, if I had more confidence in the 250F engine, I think I'd go that way. Or, I'd buy a new KTM 200XC. One thing's for sure- almost all the options are good! I've had fun with all my bikes.

EDIT: 5' 6", 160 lbs.

• SkiDaddy

Posted August 31, 2007 - 12:11 PM

Get the YZ250 2 stroke, add a flywheel weight & you won't look back!:ride: :ride: :ride:

• duzz10

Posted August 31, 2007 - 02:10 PM

I'm 47, 6' and 155lbs soaking wet. The last bike I had was a 76 YZ 125 in 1981. Bought a 05 YZF 450 last year and had a lot of problems setting it up. I sold it and bougt a 07 this year and love it. Just started riding Vet SX in June and I keep improving every race. Myself I love the torque of the 4 stroke!

• NM_KDX200

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:03 PM

Get the YZ250 2 stroke, add a flywheel weight & you won't look back!:ride: :ride: :ride:

1) will the '06 250 run on pump gas? I'm at 6000' which will help, but it's gotta do that.

2) how finicky are the 250's about jetting?

These are two places where the 4S shines, IMHO.

• nos487

Posted August 31, 2007 - 04:15 PM

I am getting ready to turn the big 40 and just got back in to riding again. I bought a yz426 and love the power. I am 6' 4'' at 250lbs and didnt even consider a 250. Maybe at your weight and height it would be great for you. This is my first 4 stroke and back in the day I would not consider a 4 stroke I hated the sound of them. Now it is the total opposite. If you can find a dealer that would let you test ride one, (used or new) that will help you alot.

• grayracer513

Posted August 31, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I also had a long layoff in my past. Prior to that, I rode almost exclusively large displacement bikes of a variety of types, mostly dirt track, flat track, speedway, and MX, but there were road bikes and road raciers in the mix as well.

By the turn of the Century, I had already had my 50th birthday, and it was time to take my son riding with some of my friends. I never liked small engines, and a modern 4-stroke was not in the budget at the time, so I restarted on a CR500. I'm 5'10", 180/185, BTW.

It all depends on what level you operated at when you left off. It's inarguable that the modern 450 MX bikes are a breed totally apart from anything you would have encountered 15 years ago, but they are hardly uncontrollable. In fact, for the most part, and for reasons already expressed here, they're actually easier to manage and more user friendly than a two-stroke. The extra weight and top heaviness are the only exceptions. The 250Fs are a LOT of fun, especially in their element, but I doubt I would ever be happy with one if it were my only bike.

• SkiDaddy

Posted September 01, 2007 - 04:44 AM

1) will the '06 250 run on pump gas? I'm at 6000' which will help, but it's gotta do that.

2) how finicky are the 250's about jetting?

These are two places where the 4S shines, IMHO.

Yes, pump gas is fine IF you don't jet it for maximm crispness AT SEA LEVEL FOR SOME PEOPLE/GAS. I'm in Florida & mine is a tad lean at midrange & still doesn't deto in the summer.

At 6000 I wouldn't think it's an issue at all. RCannon has one at altitude, he can hook you up w/jetting & the head mod to bump compression up IF you want the power back from the altitude loss.

2 Strokes seem to be LESS finicky about jetting. Either way, jetting is easy and well known for an '06-'07 yz250.

• BergArabia

Posted September 01, 2007 - 09:14 AM

I am 51 and have the YZ450.. it is great..
Last bike I rode offroad was a Honda CR250 Elsignor.. but never competitively.
I love the YZf I think it is a great bike to relearn on..

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.