NEED HELP! bike still wont start 1-1/2 weeks after washing it!

8 replies to this topic
  • mr426

Posted August 29, 2007 - 09:39 PM

ok, so here is the deal. my 02 426 is running like a champ in the trails. i get home, wash it, park it. next day it wont start. no water got in the pipe btw. i have made no new mods since my last ride. it did get it to start twice in the last week and run crappy and die. would never start after it died those two times, puffed and blew black fuel smoke and smelt very strong like gas. ok so i have spark *sometimes* *sometimes not* *sometimes weak and orange* i have tried 2 new spark plugs. plugs always come out wet with gas, like its flooding. clean filter (not too much oil), disconnected kill switch, cleaned and reconnected all elictrical connectors. all jetting is stock. i checked and a jet did not fall out into the bowl. what can be wrong with it??? need help asap, got a hollister ride sunday!!!

• JaZ

Posted August 30, 2007 - 03:02 AM

Even though you state the plugs are wet try draining fuel from carb (check for water in bowl), then clean carb, blow out all air ways and jets (pilot jet is easily blocked). then look more closely at electricals.

• yzf450jack

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:03 AM

Did you start it right after washing the bike? Your air filter was wet and dirty and sucked water and dirt in one of the hole's in the back of the carb. Same thing if you start your bike with fresh oil on air filter it will plug the hole in the back of the carb and won't start.

• mr426

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:26 AM

thanks for the help. i did not start it after wash. air filter and box were completly dry. i already drained the bowl and cleaned jets. i will check the little hole you were talking about to see if it is clogged. any more ideas? shorted and wet coil/cdi box???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SkiDaddy

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:32 AM

Take all the electrical connectors apart, blow out w/compressed air, followed w/a quick blast of WD-40. Reassemble.

Then check the ground of the coil to the frame, & any other grounds. Clean w/fine sandpaper, reassemble, spray a bit of WD-40 on there.

If all that fails temporarily disconnect the kill switch.

• mr426

Posted August 30, 2007 - 01:44 PM

Take all the electrical connectors apart, blow out w/compressed air, followed w/a quick blast of WD-40. Reassemble.

Then check the ground of the coil to the frame, & any other grounds. Clean w/fine sandpaper, reassemble, spray a bit of WD-40 on there.

If all that fails temporarily disconnect the kill switch.

i already cleaned all connectors and hit em with some wd. i also disconnected the killswitch already. i will try cleaning the coil grounds though. any more ideas guys???

• Twig323

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:33 PM

Wire could be ground somewhere. My problem with my bike not starting was because of a tiny nut off my feeler Gauge that fell through my valves when i was checking them. It must have went through the cam chain. Managed to find the bugger stuck to my fly wheel. : (

• SkiDaddy

Posted September 02, 2007 - 11:06 PM

Well?

• mr426

Posted September 03, 2007 - 11:30 AM

ok, so i just went out to work on my bike for the first time this morning. i cleaned the coil connector and mounting contacts and the bike fired up and has been running great all day. not sure if it was that or maybe something has finally dried out after sitting so long. anyway, thanks for all the great help!!! now i can ride:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.