07 WR450 vs 07 YZ450

21 replies to this topic
  • malinaric473

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:41 PM

OK.. I am one day away from my purchase. I ride 50% trail (rocky tight eastern) and 50% MX (practice only). I currently ride an 05 CRF450R. I love it for MX and love it when going fast on tight trails. However, anything other than "race pace" and it is a tiring stall prone beast.

I am going blue (my son is on a YZ250F and I have a ball on it) and am 90% sure it will be the WR. My guess is that I will keep the CRF for MX and ride the WR off road. I am interested in hearing if anyone has both an 07 YZ450 and an 07 WR450 (or have ridden both) and would like to hear your opinion on the pro's and cons of both for trail duty (I have no plans to MX the WR). My guess is that the YZ would be very similar to the CRF, meaning very powerful, stall probem and quite stiff for offroad work, whereas the WR would be a little tamer (less hit) and a much plusher in the rocks (and have a button).

• Mutu

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:52 PM

Sounds like you have already made your mind up.

Seeing you already have the CRF for MX, you will be happy with the WR once you do a few power mods to it. Expect it to be a lot heavier than your CRF too.

• dirtrider04

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:25 PM

the 07 wr is really sleek go get er

• Michigan DS

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:24 PM

07 WR is a great bike. And... they are easy to plate.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I have the WR but ride and race with three friends that have the YZ and I have spent time riding all of them...

1. The WR will stall, not as easily as a MX bike but without a rekluse it will happen from time to time. The O-ring AP mod will help out in this area as well... but as hi perf 4 stroke, it will stall BUT it has the button:applause:

2. The WR takes alot of getting used to if you really want to keep up with MX bikes on the track... suspension mods and YZ cams/timing are likely necessary, it does not hit near as hard off the bottom. (If you are keeping your CRF non-issue and you don't plan on MX'ing the WR).

3. I race off road (GP's, hare scrambles, etc...) and the WR holds it's own against any other 450, mx or offroad.

4. To get the true potential out of a WR you will have to do modifications, the fundamental mods are free and you can search free mods and performance mods in this forum to get ALL the juicy details..

5. The suspension will be more plush on the WR but they are sprung light, if you weigh more than 200 lbs you'll likely want to increase spring rates. The YZ suspension in stock form for a 200+ lb. guy is not actually that bad for off road and can be set up fairly well by just setting sag properly and adjusting clickers to your liking...

6. The YZ will feel lighter... it is.

7. The WR is woods / USFS legal. You will need a quieter exhaust with a S/A for the YZ. Not that the stock WR exhaust is a real gem but it's inexpensive to make it work half way decent while maintaining the S/A and low noise.

8. The WR has a coolant recovery system, if you ride tight technical slow stuff this can be a big plus.

9. The WR has lights and a lighting coil, if you ever race or ride in the dark it has the foundation for some decent lighting set ups.

You know, I really don't know which is "better", if you are keeping your CRF and want a rock solid good performing off road bike I would get the WR. If you truly wanted a kick ass bike that does both real well... I would look at the YZ250 ring a dinger... I have ridden one set up for woods and it DOES both awesome:prof:

Licensing for street is impossible where I live.:thumbsdn:

• rjboschjr

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:10 PM

Even thou I'm not a honda guy, whats wrong with the 450X?

• redswr

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:15 PM

i love my WR on the MX track... even after riding a YZ. what ever floats your boat...

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 29, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Expect it to be a lot heavier than your CRF too.

This was true of the steel framed bikes, the 06 I rode was a complete pig compared to its steel framed MX counterpart but the 07 practically mimics how the MXers carry their weight.

• jams229

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:35 AM

i love my WR on the MX track... even after riding a YZ. what ever floats your boat...

You must either weigh 125 lbs, or you have made some serious suspension mods, or you don't jump it often.
The WR is NOT a good track bike... that is, of course, unless you love to
bottom on everything... :crazy:

• Mutu

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:20 AM

This was true of the steel framed bikes, the 06 I rode was a complete pig compared to its steel framed MX counterpart but the 07 practically mimics how the MXers carry their weight.

Yeah, I agree with the new model being better than the last, but you still can't hide 30lbs. :prof:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • malinaric473

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:26 AM

SJMC_DON
Can you provide any additional insight into the real world differences in suspension between the 07YZ and 07WR. In particular, is the YZ overly stiff for offroad. My sons 250 is much plusher than my CRF. I am 6'0" and weigh 190 without gear. I know that this is hard to quantify without knowing style and terrain, but any insight would be appreciated.

Also, as I understand (mainly going from the Dirt Rider review) the WR has more low end grunt than the YZ. I never have the CRF anywhere near the rev limiter except on an MX track, so is the WR really feel "weaker" than the YZ in these conditions? Can you comment on this? Maybe you can comment on the "fast rev/slow rev" differences between the two.

• erickdj

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:57 AM

SJMC_DON
Also, as I understand (mainly going from the Dirt Rider review) the WR has more low end grunt than the YZ. I never have the CRF anywhere near the rev limiter except on an MX track, so is the WR really feel "weaker" than the YZ in these conditions? Can you comment on this? Maybe you can comment on the "fast rev/slow rev" differences between the two.

An uncorked wr450 is hardly "weak" at any rpm range. I use my 07wr450 for off road and after I uncorked it I've never wanted more power than it has. Picture this: you're going @ 50mph on a woods trail on 4th gear and half throttle maybe, whack the throttle open and feel that rear tire break loose and the bike wanting to break lose from you. I can't imagine myself calling that "weak". Keep in mind that the wr engine is a yz engine with some minor differences, the bike has plenty of power to make you pay the consequences if you don't respect the throttle.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:30 AM

SJMC_DON
Can you provide any additional insight into the real world differences in suspension between the 07YZ and 07WR. In particular, is the YZ overly stiff for offroad. My sons 250 is much plusher than my CRF. I am 6'0" and weigh 190 without gear. I know that this is hard to quantify without knowing style and terrain, but any insight would be appreciated.

Let me first state that I am a novice at best when discussing suspension but I know what I like when riding a bike in regard to the suspension set up. YZ forks are twin chamber thus allowing for finer tunning / modifications, more progressive compression and rebound characteristics, etc... in their stock form they SHOULD be stiffer and faster reacting than the WR forks. The YZ rear should have a stiffer spring rate and I think the spring is Titanium where the WR is steel... I could be wrong and am totally open to correction. Having said that I have ridden three different 07' YZ's with various mods and here is my opinion.

Buddy #1 - Tweaks everything, changed the valving/shim stack springs fluid etc... is still messing with it all the time, he races off raod but rides MX alot. He is probably 190lbs but overall is happy with it. It seems to be fine when I ride it I give it a 8 out of 10.

Buddy #2 - Left all internals stock except changed to a lighter fluid in the forks (unsure of the actual wt.)... set the rear sag, made adjustements to compression and rebound, he also weighs in about 190... I really like the handling of his bike, better than my WR, I give it a 9 out of 10:thumbsup:

Buddy #3 - Has left the suspension in stock form, set the rear sag and is continuosly adjusting clickers, again when riding this bike I feel the suspension works just as good as my WR for off road riding. 8 out of 10.

I could not properly set the rear sag on my WR without getting a stiffer rear spring, (I weigh 205 - 210). The front was bottoming out even when riding offroad. I went to race tech's calculator as I have for the past two WR's I've had and just ordered the correct springs for my weight. I seem to mess most with my rear clickers and I am still trying to get a good baseline set but atleast the sag is set properly. The rear feels to stiff in slower technical riding.

I used a 5wt oil when I installed the .48 fork springs but I am going to go with a 10 next, I still think the compression is a little weak and the rebound is fast.

Onto power charachteristics - The YZ's will tend to give you the "I'm gonna rip your arms off at the shoulders" hit when riding off road... all 3 of my buddies are using rekluse's and the hit I think is a little mellower but still not as linear as the WR but the bikes do not stall with the auto clutch, or hardly at all. The WR has TONS of power and "weaker" is not the term I would use I think the power curve is just smoother or more linear - You cannot expect to just crack the throttle on a WR to try and double out of a set whoops or sling shot out of turn and clear a quick double jump.... I have to fan the clutch alot even riding offroad but it will win a drag race to the first turn, WR tranny allows for 2nd gear starts, (I rarely put the bike in first gear) and will hold it's own hill climbing or anything else except an MX track. The YZ's will tend to throw you around and work you harder off road because of the "un-harnessed" low end...

All of this is just my 2 cents... I think the YZ's can be very capable off road bikes... the WR's weaknesses if any are in the suspension and they are heavy bikes but so is any 450 and unless you are the type that does not like man handling these beasts you are going to get tired at race pace when off road riding.

If I was choosing between the two - I would get the WR but I don't hardly hit the MX track except when they are incorporated into our off road races and even then I'm racing against other off road guys and the race will not be won on the MX section (it can certainly be lost:busted:). The Yamaha is a rock solid reliable motor in either bike and my bet is the WR will never leave you wanting more power, atleast that which you could not get with minimal mods.:ride:

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Keep in mind that the wr engine is a yz engine with some minor differences,

Differences include cam timing, flywheel, tranny, etc... all adding up to more of a linear power curve but still lots of power:thumbsup:

• malinaric473

Posted August 30, 2007 - 12:27 PM

SJMC_DON,

Thank you very much for your feedback!

• redswr

Posted August 31, 2007 - 11:14 AM

You must either weigh 125 lbs, or you have made some serious suspension mods, or you don't jump it often.
The WR is NOT a good track bike... that is, of course, unless you love to
bottom on everything... :crazy:

i weight 215, no suspision mods, and i jump quite far quite often. just got to know how to land... as long as your on the gas and don't slap the front end when you hit its pretty tame.

• SJMC_DON

Posted August 31, 2007 - 11:43 AM

i weight 215, no suspision mods, and i jump quite far quite often. just got to know how to land... as long as your on the gas and don't slap the front end when you hit its pretty tame.

At race pace flat landing from time to time is inevitable and do we we even need to start talking about whoops?:eek: I agree, for play days at the MX track the WR can be fun but certainly not competitive with stock suspension and motor characteristics...

• redswr

Posted August 31, 2007 - 11:50 AM

i like riding whoops... the only problem i have with the WR is in the rythem sections because of the gearing.

• JSanfilippo

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:14 PM

i like riding whoops... the only problem i have with the WR is in the rythem sections because of the gearing.

You're not going fast enough :p

• redswr

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:53 PM

You're not going fast enough :p

sure... when we gonna go ride?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.