XR650R HID question

5 replies to this topic
  • rm298z

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:06 PM

I have a 650r with baja designs dual sport kit with a stock stator. I just installed a OSRAM 35 watt HID bulb and ballast. It seemed fine for a while but after using turn signals and the brake it seems to drain down the battery too much and seem to kill the HID. I guess when the HID ballast no longer has enough power it just dies instead of dimming. I think it would be fine if I let it charge for the first 10 minutes of the ride and then turned it on and left it on it would be fine. But the initial start more than a few times draws to much from the battery to recharge. The light the HID kit puts out is amazing though.

Does anyone know how much the baja designs turn signals (non-led type) and brake (led type) draw power wise? I'd like to keep the HID, what should I do, get a more powerful stator? would LED turnsignals draw enough less power to solve the problem.

• InternalCombustion

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:47 PM

Simplest trick is to rewind your stator. I've done two of them for xrr's. There's several excellent step-by-step how-to's posted, both in TT threads and on several websites. Or PM me and I'll send you one, with photos I took and tips.

The task sounds scary but its cheap and you'll have power to spare when you're done.

How much was the HID setup you got? Did the bulb fit a stock BD lens?

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:06 PM

+1 for the stator rewind, it will help. My experience with the small Baja Designs nicad battery is that there is not much reserve power there. Meaning, if you drop into low revs (or idle) for two long, the stator is not pumping out the needed watts and the battery will not be able to keep up with the demand. This is true even with a BD rewound stator on the 650. I try not to goof around at really low rpms for too long with the HID going. InternalCombustion's rewind may even provide more low rpm power for you than the BD unit. If you did go with the BD rewind, because it has dual outputs, you could run the 2nd output through it's own regulator/rectifier and also to the same battery and that would probably solve the issue as well- -the 2nd output doing little else than keeping the battery topped off.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rm298z

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:52 AM

I think I'm going to go with rewinding my own stator. I got the setup off ebay for $50 osram ballast with d1s bulb. I currently just have the bulb safety wired into the housing. I have to talk with baja designs and see if I can buy the housing they use for the diablo kits.

• husky123

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:40 AM

With the BD setup if you are doing some low speed/low tach stuff can you just turn off the headlight and go with the park light(assuming it's light out)?

• Trogdor

Posted August 30, 2007 - 08:52 AM

It seemed fine for a while but after using turn signals and the brake it seems to drain down the battery too much and seem to kill the HID. I guess when the HID ballast no longer has enough power it just dies instead of dimming.

The ballast is only in use during startup where there is a huge draw down on the system. You know that the ballasts have a limited number of starts before they go kaput, right? You really shouldn't be turning a HID on and off. Are you sure the stator needs re-winding? The problem could just be the battery. Is the battery completely charging and is it holding a charge??

Wait, I just re-read you post, you have a stock stator. That ain't gonna work, it won't keep up with the demand of the ballast at start up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.