XR650R Clutch Basket Removal

6 replies to this topic
  • GlobalWarmer

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:51 PM

I'm trying to remove the outer clutch basket and replace the famed clutch bushing if necessary. The basket just won't budge off of the bushing. The manual is a bit lame. "Remove washer and outer basket". My next step is to try and find a puller to get it off but I wan't to be sure I'm not missing something. It should slide right off the bushing and shaft right?

• Thorpey

Posted August 29, 2007 - 03:01 PM

Pull out on the basket while lightly pushing the kick start lever with your hand.

• rm298z

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Did you take the nut off. It should have the collar indented into the key way of the shaft. If you can't get that off use a impact wrench. Once you pull that off the basket should come right off. The shaft is not tapered so there is no need for a puller. Maybe the bushing seized to the shaft?

When I did my bushing it was stuck inside the basket. I had to hone out the basket to get the replacement to fit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • InternalCombustion

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:38 PM

Once you "unpeen" the collar from the shaft, the easiest way to untorque the nut is to use an impact wrench. Then, the basket will slide off.

Untorquing that nut is a major bear, without an impact wrench. Do you have that nut removed yet?

• eli366

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:07 PM

Did you take the nut off. It should have the collar indented into the key way of the shaft. If you can't get that off use a impact wrench. Once you pull that off the basket should come right off. The shaft is not tapered so there is no need for a puller. Maybe the bushing seized to the shaft?

When I did my bushing it was stuck inside the basket. I had to hone out the basket to get the replacement to fit.

Exactly(mine was stuck in the basket as well), once you unpeen the nut from the shaft the impact wrench is the ticket.

• GlobalWarmer

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:37 PM

I ended up popping it loose with a couple of carefull pry's with a large screwdriver. The issue was that the bushing was stuck in the basket. The top 3/16th of the bushing and the basket have burred each other up. It was the replacement bushing with the holes too. I'm trying to decide if I should hone it or just get another basket with gears from Service Honda. The other parts are coming tomorrow so it will probably be the former.

Thanks for the inputs.

• rm298z

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:54 AM

my bushing was the same way. I just hammerd it out and honed it, the new one would not fit without the hone. You want it to slide in and out easily. Make sure you oil everything up too when you put it back together. are you sure it was the replacement, I think the stock one has fewer holes but with more space on the center of the bushing to hold oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.