When the rod met the gearshaft..........

87 replies to this topic
  • martinfan30

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:56 PM

Holy crap, you know what? It looks like the piston slapped the crank counterweights where the cracks are. :confused:

In the first pic...
Look at the broken ends of the small end of the rod. The outer parts of the "h" look different in color the the freshly broken center section. This may sometimes mean a failure had started well before the actual catastrophic failure.

Maybe hairline cracks, or poor metalurgical features in that part of the rod.

Just a thought...

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:56 PM

Anyone stopped to think about the forces involved with making a 100mm piston weighing in at 500 grams or more change directions 200+ times a second? I am not going to do the exact math on this but I would venture a guess and say due to G forces a 500 gram piston is probably exerting 16,000+ lbs of force on the rod when the direction is changing.

That is probably enough to exploit any manufacturing flaw in either the rod or piston.

• resurrection

Posted March 16, 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm not going to slam anybody wrenching skills .
I'm wondering what the results of hammering in a wristpin would look like?
Alot of people have done it.mostly on disassembly though,maybe this fella is guilty ?only he knows for sure.

• martinfan30

Posted March 16, 2008 - 10:37 AM

I'm not going to slam anybody wrenching skills .
I'm wondering what the results of hammering in a wristpin would look like?
Alot of people have done it.mostly on disassembly though,maybe this fella is guilty ?only he knows for sure.

I've got a nice installer set made by Toyota's tool manufacturer. I uses a hyd. press and has multiple adapters for any piston.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • resurrection

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:26 PM

A threaded rod, nuts ,washers and a piece of pvc pipe will also help.

• Ryanthegreat1

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:48 PM

Why would the wrist pin need to be pressed in? I thought that in the XR's the wrist pins are fully floating and held in place with cir clips.

• resurrection

Posted March 16, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Yes they usualy go in much nicer than they come out.

• BackinAction

Posted March 16, 2008 - 03:12 PM

I think we should all observe a moment of silence for the engines featured in this thread. May they rest in pieces.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.