When the rod met the gearshaft..........

87 replies to this topic
  • rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:26 AM

gudgeon, piston pin?

cool term eh?

• rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 01:28 AM

Mate, the piston hit the valves because the rod snapped, not the other way around.
Maybe a manufacturing fault with the rod, or the forces involved with the larger, heavier piston and high compression. Maybe he got some bad gas and it started pinging.

I love it when the aussies start posting - classic!!

whenever we start a sentence with "mate" that normally means the guy we're replying to is wrong on something.

in this case Bdub has been pciked up on the valve issue.

anyway good to see more aussies posting in the XR forums.

• XR680RR

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:11 AM

There is alarge possability that it could be clearance. Fallow the timing and motion. In the end it has to do with cam timing. Fallow the cam timing and you will have the facts of this possibility. The cam timing stays in tack and the valves are still opening and closing in relation to the crank (2:1). The piston tapped the valves and jammed sheering the rod at close to TDC as was said before. The valves would move the piston if still in the way after leaving the rod and as it leaves the rod it would want to fallow the rod. I agree that the valve to piston clearance was could have been not enough. It is said, that a thinner gasket was used. It could also been a bad small end but, "wrong" only a drunk aussie would get a kick out of another man being a mate. I am sure Borynack isn't any mans mate. "rmhrc630" you have serious issues with Borynack for some reason and it seems you will never let it go.

• martinfan30

Posted September 12, 2007 - 06:25 AM

cool term eh?

ya, ive been a prof. auto. tech. for 13 yrs. now and i've never heard that before!lol

• sbabs

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:39 AM

this is axctually making my brain hurt! Man alive, did you flunk every single english class you ever took? Please for the sake of our future tell me you are only 5 years old and you just started your first week of first grade. Its like you are trying to beat the english language into submission with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling. It surrenders! you won! Now for the sake of all thats holy, either enjoy the first grade and pay attention, or go back and start all over.
I aplogoize, I tried not to say anything and I am not trying to start trouble and I realize you are from italy,but it is apparent that you have a grasp of the english language. Ive seen some atrocious grammar before, but I think yours actually has the dubious honor of offically being the worst.

Give the guy a break dude, he's Italian, and doing a darn good job. I want you to translate what you wrote above into Italian and be understood.

You're in California dude, you should be used to having to translate a bit.

Comprende Bendejo? :thumbsup:

• sbabs

Posted September 12, 2007 - 08:45 AM

sorry rc but it annoys me that some people can be so anal , please keep up your posts they are very interesting , yes every crowd has one YUP dickhead!

That was great my friend. You keep posting. 99.9 percent of us can get what you are saying, and you are a contributer. I've also realized that I am not going to be doing any of my internal motor building myself. I'll leave that to pros.

• rmhrc630

Posted September 12, 2007 - 03:35 PM

There is alarge possability that it could be clearance. Fallow the timing and motion. In the end it has to do with cam timing. Fallow the cam timing and you will have the facts of this possibility. The cam timing stays in tack and the valves are still opening and closing in relation to the crank (2:1). The piston tapped the valves and jammed sheering the rod at close to TDC as was said before. The valves would move the piston if still in the way after leaving the rod and as it leaves the rod it would want to fallow the rod. I agree that the valve to piston clearance was could have been not enough. It is said, that a thinner gasket was used. It could also been a bad small end but, "wrong" only a drunk aussie would get a kick out of another man being a mate. I am sure Borynack isn't any mans mate. "rmhrc630" you have serious issues with Borynack for some reason and it seems you will never let it go.

*** are you talking about?

• koldsimer

Posted September 12, 2007 - 04:42 PM

this is axctually making my brain hurt! Man alive, did you flunk every single english class you ever took? Please for the sake of our future tell me you are only 5 years old and you just started your first week of first grade. Its like you are trying to beat the english language into submission with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling. It surrenders! you won! Now for the sake of all thats holy, either enjoy the first grade and pay attention, or go back and start all over.
I aplogoize, I tried not to say anything and I am not trying to start trouble and I realize you are from italy,but it is apparent that you have a grasp of the english language. Ive seen some atrocious grammar before, but I think yours actually has the dubious honor of offically being the worst.

I know i'm just a newb with about a dozen posts but I wanna officially nominate you for douchebaggerton of the year. You need a serious ass whoopin' with that kind of attitude.

• BIGGITY

Posted September 13, 2007 - 05:56 PM

+1 on voting you jacka$$ of the year.

Thanks to all the positive people here on TT:thumbsup: You've all helped me a ton when it comes to working on my piggy:applause:

• asf

Posted March 15, 2008 - 09:08 AM

:confused: :excuseme: :excuseme: "MADE IN JAPAN" :sweden: :crazy: :p

That picture is PRICELESS!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EarlT

Posted March 15, 2008 - 11:30 AM

XR650R Rod Failure
- What is the Solution?

1) The Rod is Broken.

2) What Caused it?

3) Is Rod Break a Common failure?

4) will "Drilling" a Hole for Lubrication
the underside of the Piston
where the piston supports the piston Pin,
Prevent this problem or other Problems?

5)At what RPM is Rod Failure expected to occur
in the XR600
XR650L
XR650R

6) What is the Solution?

• scalejockey

Posted March 15, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Moral of the story...Don't run cheap rods when building a go-fast motor.

• Big Red Paul

Posted March 15, 2008 - 01:54 PM

Man-o-live! That engine is as dead as the dog, Bendico at the end of Lampedusa's, 'The Leopard'.

I still haven't decided which is sadder, the death of a splendid engine, that someone spent many hours constructing, or dreadful comments by that, in Cali parlance, 'douche-bag'.

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 15, 2008 - 03:34 PM

Posted Image

I didn't notice it the first time I replied to this thread, but look at how the piston pin bosses are starting to split.

Was your friend sure it was only spinning 6200rpm? The rod looks like it was pulled apart as we suspected, but pistons don't usually do that unless they are spun too fast....especially with a forging.

• BBA

Posted March 15, 2008 - 04:28 PM

*** are you talking about?

Yeah I was wondering the same thing rmhrc??

Focallength I think you have been voted Jackass of the year here on TT! I bet you were the kid on the block that watched all the other boys jump their bicycle ramps and you always told them how to do it even though you never had the balls to hit them yourself! What a wanker!!:confused:

• brantc

Posted March 15, 2008 - 05:31 PM

I didn't notice it the first time I replied to this thread, but look at how the piston pin bosses are starting to split.

Was your friend sure it was only spinning 6200rpm? The rod looks like it was pulled apart as we suspected, but pistons don't usually do that unless they are spun too fast....especially with a forging.

I think you are right......

I think the bosses split when the rod was accelerating the piston downward(intake stroke high revs) and trying to pull a charge of fuel in.

On the next stroke the piston contacted the valves which compression damaged the rod. Because if it was stretch fracture, I think the valves would be more damaged... But I dont know one side of the rod does look "torn"....

On the next down stroke, the rod sheared with the piston still going down and it scraped the underside of the piston.
Then it punched a hole in the case just below the jug through the piston on the intake stroke.:confused:

The next go around it punched the transmission out of the back of the engine and made a 2 piece motor...... :excuseme:

I think because he had the extra weight of a passenger, it didnt throw him and broke the motor(in two) instead.....:excuseme:

• Purcell69

Posted March 15, 2008 - 06:28 PM

Another "bad" pics......................:confused:

P.S. Later I will describe you what is happened to the engine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Did anyone else catch the guy in the bottom picture plugging his ears in the newspaper? Was he interviewed after the motor exploded?:excuseme:

As far as the total and catostrophic failure, I would have to side with the valve / piston conflict theory. I had a 454 in the wife's truck that dropped an exhaust valve head onto the piston at about 2500 RPM. The rod did not break completely in two, but took on a nice "S" bend, and left a gaping hole in the side of the block at the number 3 cylinder where the block bolted to the motor mount. Metal does not compress in an internal combustion engine with much success.

-Joe

• trail searcher

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:24 PM

I'm convienced XR650r's dont last on the street. Maybe thats why honda wont plate um?

• EarlT

Posted March 15, 2008 - 07:25 PM

Trail Searcher wrote-

Myself and 2 of my buddies 650rs
didnt last very long on the road.
All 3 of them lost rods.

EarlT writes-
Above we have more riders with XR650R engines
that have Rod Problems.

What is the Solution?
:confused:

Does it affect XR650L engines also?
:excuseme:

• HeadTrauma

Posted March 15, 2008 - 08:31 PM

On the next down stroke, the rod sheared with the piston still going down and it scraped the underside of the piston.

Holy crap, you know what? It looks like the piston slapped the crank counterweights where the cracks are. :confused:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.