When the rod met the gearshaft..........

87 replies to this topic
  • chilwil86

Posted August 31, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Thats awesome ...sorry

• martinfan30

Posted August 31, 2007 - 10:45 AM

Hey I thought these PIGs were supposed to be reliable. I wouldn't have thought that was even possible to do to an engine. He should get some kind of medal or something.

they are, until 15k rpm!

• chilwil86

Posted August 31, 2007 - 11:37 AM

theres a bottum end on ebay right now

• RC30

Posted September 02, 2007 - 11:03 AM

Sorry, read below......

• RC30

Posted September 02, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Sorry if I don’t answered you in the last days, but in these days I can’t use my PC how I wish.

Now the unlucky story of this XR650R.

Introduction:

My friend Ricky, the owner of the bike, 25 years ago worked in Cagiva race department and since 25 years he tune his and others bikes and engines, now he work in Aermacchi, historical italian aeroplanes factory.

All the bikes that he modified has ran for thousand and thousand of miles without any problems, and his XR too he have tuned with his hands.

With this introduction I have tried to explain you that he have the knowledge and ability to modify any engine.

All that he has done:

-K&N filter.
-Keihin carburettor FCR 41 bored to 42 mm (bored from himself).
-Arrow header pipe and muffler.
-Titanium valve spring retainers (worked hand made from himself).
-Cu-Be intake and exhaust valve guides (worked hand made from himself).
-Head flow benches polished (polished from himself).
-JE piston 100mm, compression ratio 10:1.
-Thiner cylinder head gasket to increase the compression ratio to 11,7:1 (worked hand made from himself).
-Prox connecting rod.
-HRC cam chain assembly.
-Right crankshaft cylindrical roller bearing (was ball bearing).
-Hinson allows clutch basket.
-Titanium clutch plates (worked hand made from himself).
-Gear main shaft cylindrical roller bearing (was ball bearing).
-CDI ignition without RPM restrict.

Spare part unmounted:

-Hotcams camshaft stage 2.

He assembled his engine with all the expedients for a better engine working.

I don’t know how mileage was the engine before that modifies, but with all the new parts he mounted we can consider it a new engine.

This is what is happened:

While he was getting back from his holidays, he was running at 90 mph (6200 rpm) on a highway when he heard a “clonk” come from the engine, than he disengaged the clutch but in the same instant the rear wheel was stopped.

The left leg of his girl friend was hitted by pieces of alloy and hot oil, the bike becomed uncontrollable but fortunately they was in a straight road and they stopped without crash.

The first supposition of Ricky was that the break of a circlip of the countershaft or the main shaft in the gear mechanism can have caused the engage of two gear in the same time causing the jamming of the gearshafts, but after a careful “motorpsy” he has understood that the real cause of the big trouble has been the break of the connecting rod, the stump of the rod is slipped in the gear box causing all that you can see in the pictures.

Before the big damage the engine was 2600 km (1600 miles), the oil livel was ok, the carburation was corrected and the bike is a motard version.

Ricky is very carefully to maintenance the bike.

Now he looking for an used engine, in the future this engine will be heavily modify too......if possible with a Carrillo connecting rod.......:thumbsup:

Good luck Ricky. :ride:

• BWB63

Posted September 02, 2007 - 11:22 AM

Clay testing the valve to piston clearance would have not come out to be .060" with the thinner head gasket. Even with the better valve springs the valves would float a little @ 6,200 and trouble would start and you should have two bent valves to prove the trouble.

• RC30

Posted September 02, 2007 - 12:21 PM

Sincerely I don't know how is the real clearance with the new head gasket, I believe that he kept the right tolerance.......:thumbsup:

Probably in the next engine he will use different and better valve springs, in any case the stock springs should be reliable up to 8300 rpm.

• BWB63

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:46 PM

Well, in the end the valves hit the piston and that doesn't happen at .060" of clearance with the right valve timing. I want back and looked at the pictures and it is right there showing what happened. I would guess it won't happen next time.

• Zendog

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:53 PM

I haven't words.............:ride:

I do! THrough it in the trash. Bum Deal :thumbsup: :bonk:

• Zendog

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:58 PM

Posted Image

Look at the valves, almost new

Posted Image

Take after the guy in the pic. It might be easier if your friend just shoots himself in the head. Such a bum deal

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dmoney1074

Posted September 02, 2007 - 09:12 PM

This makes me cry and pray it doesnt happen to me..... Please God spare my good little 426!!!

• focallength

Posted September 08, 2007 - 11:18 AM

Sorry if I don’t answered you in the last days, but in these days I can’t use my PC how I wish.

Now the unlucky story of this XR650R.

Introduction:

My friend Ricky, the owner of the bike, 25 years ago worked in Cagiva race department and since 25 years he tune his and others bikes and engines, now he work in Aermacchi, historical italian aeroplanes factory.

All the bikes that he modified has ran for thousand and thousand of miles without any problems, and his XR too he have tuned with his hands.

With this introduction I have tried to explain you that he have the knowledge and ability to modify any engine.

All that he has done:

-K&N filter.
-Keihin carburettor FCR 41 bored to 42 mm (bored from himself).
-Arrow header pipe and muffler.
-Titanium valve spring retainers (worked hand made from himself).
-Cu-Be intake and exhaust valve guides (worked hand made from himself).
-Head flow benches polished (polished from himself).
-JE piston 100mm, compression ratio 10:1.
-Thiner cylinder head gasket to increase the compression ratio to 11,7:1 (worked hand made from himself).
-Prox connecting rod.
-HRC cam chain assembly.
-Right crankshaft cylindrical roller bearing (was ball bearing).
-Hinson allows clutch basket.
-Titanium clutch plates (worked hand made from himself).
-Gear main shaft cylindrical roller bearing (was ball bearing).
-CDI ignition without RPM restrict.

Spare part unmounted:

-Hotcams camshaft stage 2.

He assembled his engine with all the expedients for a better engine working.

I don’t know how mileage was the engine before that modifies, but with all the new parts he mounted we can consider it a new engine.

This is what is happened:

While he was getting back from his holidays, he was running at 90 mph (6200 rpm) on a highway when he heard a “clonk” come from the engine, than he disengaged the clutch but in the same instant the rear wheel was stopped.

The left leg of his girl friend was hitted by pieces of alloy and hot oil, the bike becomed uncontrollable but fortunately they was in a straight road and they stopped without crash.

The first supposition of Ricky was that the break of a circlip of the countershaft or the main shaft in the gear mechanism can have caused the engage of two gear in the same time causing the jamming of the gearshafts, but after a careful “motorpsy” he has understood that the real cause of the big trouble has been the break of the connecting rod, the stump of the rod is slipped in the gear box causing all that you can see in the pictures.

Before the big damage the engine was 2600 km (1600 miles), the oil livel was ok, the carburation was corrected and the bike is a motard version.

Ricky is very carefully to maintenance the bike.

Now he looking for an used engine, in the future this engine will be heavily modify too......if possible with a Carrillo connecting rod.......:thumbsup:

Good luck Ricky. :ride:

this is axctually making my brain hurt! Man alive, did you flunk every single english class you ever took? Please for the sake of our future tell me you are only 5 years old and you just started your first week of first grade. Its like you are trying to beat the english language into submission with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling. It surrenders! you won! Now for the sake of all thats holy, either enjoy the first grade and pay attention, or go back and start all over.
I aplogoize, I tried not to say anything and I am not trying to start trouble and I realize you are from italy,but it is apparent that you have a grasp of the english language. Ive seen some atrocious grammar before, but I think yours actually has the dubious honor of offically being the worst.

• cleonard

Posted September 08, 2007 - 11:47 AM

this is axctually making my brain hurt! Man alive, did you flunk every single english class you ever took? Please for the sake of our future tell me you are only 5 years old and you just started your first week of first grade. Its like you are trying to beat the english language into submission with bad grammar, punctuation and spelling. It surrenders! you won! Now for the sake of all thats holy, either enjoy the first grade and pay attention, or go back and start all over.
I aplogoize, I tried not to say anything and I am not trying to start trouble and I realize you are from italy,but it is apparent that you have a grasp of the english language. Ive seen some atrocious grammar before, but I think yours actually has the dubious honor of offically being the worst.

I don't know you, but I bet that his English is a lot better than your Italian. Personally I like RC30's posts. Keep them up RC30, don't let this guy stop you. There are plenty of posts here by Americans that are much much worse. A poor comment on our educational system.

How about your grasp on the english language. If you are going to criticize others about language you had better at least spell right. You don't seem to be able to spell "actually", "apologize", or "officially."

• martinfan30

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:31 PM

spoken like a true jackass. his english is not that bad for someone who doesnt speak it as much as his native tounge.

• Maroast

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:44 PM

Why don't you do a search and see what this dude has contributed to this board...Great, informative and friendly posts.

What other languages do you speak fluently and grammatically correct tit-head? :thumbsup:

Fool.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those are this sickest photos... really brings light to the term "grenading a motor"

• focallength

Posted September 08, 2007 - 12:58 PM

Oh, je sais fro un fait mon italien est aussi bon que son et moi wasnt en essayant vraiment de se moquer de lui.

Like I said it wasnt anything against him personally, it was against his grammar.

Or should I write in Italian Maroast? Or German? Or spanish?Or russian? Any of those 4 I can speak, including English.
how many languages do you speak? titkopf

Either way, its atrocious :thumbsup:

Wasnt spiacente di RC30 I che prova ad iniziarvi merda con

• RC30

Posted September 08, 2007 - 01:17 PM

Ciao focallength, grazie per le tue belle osservazioni.

Ho “notato” con piacere (estremo piacere) che ti sei accorto delle mie grosse difficoltà con la tua lingua.

Avrai anche notato che non ho più cinque anni da un bel pezzo ed hai anche notato che sono italiano (quante cose hai notato eh? Vedo che sei perspicace, bravo).

Io mi sono iscritto su ThumperTalk per condividere la mia passione per le moto, per l’XR in particolare, conscio del fatto che la mia lingua è diversa dalla vostra ed è proprio per questo motivo che mi ogni volta mi sforzo di comprendere non solo il diverso idioma, ma anche lo slang che usate, allo stesso modo mi sforzo di esprimermi in un modo comprensibile utilizzando le mie reminiscenze scolastiche e sfogliando libri di grammatica inglese e dizionari vari.

Peccato, solo ora mi rendo conto di aver miseramente fallito e mi dispiace di aver fatto venir il mal di testa a tutti coloro che hanno letto i miei oltre 200 interventi.

Però tutti si sono sforzati di comprendere le mie parole (e li ringrazio per questo), tu invece che sei padrone della tua lingua (a quanto pare non del tutto) oltre a farmi notare che sono senz’altro ufficialmente il peggiore a livello grammaticale avresti anche potuto dirmi dove sto sbagliando e correggermi cosi che la prossima volta io possa farmi capire meglio, risparmiando a te e a tutti quelli che non mi comprendono l’acquisto di aspirine per alleviare il mal di testa.

Sorry if also this time I have made you return your headache, with all these words written in my native tongue you won't have understood anything, have patience, now I resume my school books and I will try to translate in English, even if I am afraid to increase your migraine.

Wasnt spiacente di RC30 I che prova ad iniziarvi merda con

Now I sure you won't need an aspirin considering that "you know" the Italian language.

Thanks Cleonard, martinfan30 and Maroast for your answers and for your understanding to my linguistic difficulties, I hope not to have induced you the same headache of focallenght. :thumbsup:

Piero

• Maroast

Posted September 08, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Or should I write in Italian Maroast? Or German? Or spanish?Or russian? Any of those 4 I can speak, including English.
how many languages do you speak? titkopf

your still a tit-head...no saving face now. :thumbsup:

There hasn't been a good flame war in a while...with that said... focallength, I hope you grenade your motor too.

• Jaycycle

Posted September 08, 2007 - 01:35 PM

Whats wrong with it?

• bosshog

Posted September 08, 2007 - 01:37 PM

looks like he let all the magic smoke out of that engine. External combution engine.

Oh and I too love your posts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.