Which New Bike 2 Buy? Yz450 or 250 SX 2strk

23 replies to this topic
  • jakem707

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:33 PM

Hello,

I'm Jake from Nor-Cal, Mendocino County(Emerald Triangle). Nice site.:thumbsup:
I love all the good info. I'm a member of Ridgeline Owners Club, and it is a good site too.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]My QUESTION is What bike to buy? A 07 KTM 250 SX-or-07 Yz450?
I'm 25 yrs old, 6'1 tall, 202-215 lbs, very fit-avg. fit. I've had 1 bike a 2003 Cr125(192 lbs dry) which I trail road, and tracked some. I need a bigger bike!! Would like a light bike with some more low end torque than the cr125 had.[/COLOR]

Any thoughts??

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:37 AM

a better choice IMO would be the 08 YZ250......
4stroke vs 2stroke....all depends on what you want....
less maint $$$ - 2stroke
easier to race ride - 4stroke
better tractibility for varied conditions - 4 stroke
easier to throw around - 2 stroke
easier to work on - 2stroke
better fun - a toss up

• jakem707

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I've excluded the Yz250 2 stroke from my list because Dirt Rider mag did a side-by-side review of the Yz25o and the 250 SX, and the Ktm was the better bike.
+
The Ktm was said to be better for taller riders.

It's a hard decision because I don't know what to expect from the bikes.:excuseme:

• 00YZ426FMRCD

Posted August 29, 2007 - 10:33 AM

Welcome to TT Jake - Have you considered a 250F? Any model, they are all that good. (Even the KTM)

• jakem707

Posted August 29, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Thank you,

Yeah, I'm considering it all.
I'm leaning towards a 250-2 stroke or 450-4 stroke because of the power stock++ the suspension spring rate comes stock alot closer to my weight of 215 lbs.

My 1st bike was a Cr125. I picked the WRONG bike that time.

So, this time I want to pick the right bike for me.

• KillerHiller

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I've excluded the Yz250 2 stroke from my list because Dirt Rider mag did a side-by-side review of the Yz25o and the 250 SX, and the Ktm was the better bike.
+
The Ktm was said to be better for taller riders.

It's a hard decision because I don't know what to expect from the bikes.:excuseme:

Actually, I think they liked both bikes but thought the YZ had a better motor and suspension, also the YZ was more stable. KTM felt lighter and had smoother power and maybe cornered better. KTM also had a more modern look to it and suited taller riders out of the box.

The article was something along those lines, but I could be wrong.

KH

• jakem707

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:59 PM

The bikes were close. However, the KTM was ruled better.

Especially for Tall riders.

Any thoughts????

• KAS

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:19 AM

I've got an '07 YZ250, and I just bought an '07 YZ450F.

I think it all boils down to what kind of power you want.

With the 250, things happen in a hurry and its an exhilerating ride. The motor has great low end, pulls very well off the bottom. Then it gets on the pipe and screams. Its very fun, but can get tiring to hang on to.

The 450 is powerful & fast as well, but the power is more smooth & linear and nowhere near as violent as the 250.

Besides rebuilds, I think the maintenance issue is up in the air. From what I understand Yamaha's don't need as much attention to the valves as some other bikes. Sure, an oil & filter is more expensive than a simple tranny oil change on the 2-stroke, but you also don't have to buy premix oil.

If I had the money I would keep both. As it is, I'm selling the 250 because I've been on 2-strokes for about 5 years, and want something different. So the 450 stays for now.

• SkiDaddy

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:27 AM

The determining factor will probably be what the terrain conditions are. Can you tell us about the soil type/consistency, type of bumps/whoops, how much tight trails/how much open high speed riding you do?

• why_zed

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:41 AM

I'm 210lbs without gear & ride a 06 YZ250.
The best thing I did was installed heavier springs front & back.
MX track riding - I traded with a 06 SX250 owner who wanted to try a new YZ, I couldn't wait to get back on my bike... Mind you his suspension setup was funky at best and I've got mine setup pretty sweet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KillerHiller

Posted August 30, 2007 - 09:54 AM

Better go ride each one!

• jakem707

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:30 PM

Yeah,
To bad you cant test ride.

I almost bought the bike today. However, I wasn't able to get the price I wanted.
$$

[COLOR="Green"]What do you think of these prices?[/COLOR]

"New" 2007 Yamaha 450f Special Edition "White" ++"New" 2006 PW50, the dealer wants $7100 OTD, and

I've seen the same bikes @"OTDcyclesports"(3 hrs away from home) for

$5800 Yz450
+ $1100 2007 Pw50
------------
= $6900 OTD

• nap__kxf

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:31 PM

i'd drive the 3hours to get the 450 for 5800.

also on a sidenote, the ktm will feel alot differant handling than the jap bikes because the rear shock doesn't have a linkage setup like the jap bikes. unless they changed that, i haven't heard anythign about ktms for a long time.

• jakem707

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:18 PM

I might.

[COLOR="Green"]But, Do you think $7100 is a fare price for both those bikes locally???[/COLOR]

I should support the local economy.

• Nitroused383

Posted August 30, 2007 - 10:25 PM

I would just buy whatever bike the magazine says it the best, since they are always right. :excuseme: Ok but really the magazines are usually full of crap. Both of the bikes you listed are great bikes for their intended purposes. Don't rule out the yz250 so easily either, its a great bike, and you can pick them up cheap. My thoughts on the 450f vs 250 2 stroke is that if you are doing competitive mx than the 450 is the way to go. People who tell you the 450 mx bikes are great for tight twisty trail riding are only lieing to themselves. They overheat easy, barely go below 10mph without chugging or stalling (with a fww). The 2 strokes are awesome bikes and are a lot more fun to me. I ride mx, dunes, tight woods and the 2 stroke handles it all great.

• Mutu

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:11 PM

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Would like a light bike with some more low end torque than the cr125 had.[/COLOR]

Have you thought about a 300? KTM, TM and GasGas have beauties if you want 2 stroke grunt. :excuseme:

The GasGas is getting a huge following in Australia from people going back to 2 strokes from the 4 strokes. :thumbsup:

The only downfall of the KTM is the suspension. The Yamaha YZ250 2 stroke is a WAY better bike than the KTM 250sx!
Look at the Suzuki RM250 is you like the 2 stroke race bikes, as that too is one awesome package! :prof:

If if is definately down to the KTM 250sx and Yamaha YZ450F, I would be jumping on the YZ450F quick smart. :ride:

• KillerHiller

Posted August 30, 2007 - 11:11 PM

I would just buy whatever bike the magazine says it the best, since they are always right. :excuseme: Ok but really the magazines are usually full of crap. Both of the bikes you listed are great bikes for their intended purposes. Don't rule out the yz250 so easily either, its a great bike, and you can pick them up cheap. My thoughts on the 450f vs 250 2 stroke is that if you are doing competitive mx than the 450 is the way to go. People who tell you the 450 mx bikes are great for tight twisty trail riding are only lieing to themselves. They overheat easy, barely go below 10mph without chugging or stalling (with a fww). The 2 strokes are awesome bikes and are a lot more fun to me. I ride mx, dunes, tight woods and the 2 stroke handles it all great.

Very good points!

• motomike1000

Posted August 31, 2007 - 03:43 AM

yz-250 is amuch better all-around 2 stroke,thats what i would do for single track trail riding buddy.cant go wrong

• OrangeRiderSX

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:31 PM

I ride a 2007 KTM 250SX it is by far the best bike ive owned. I ride trails alot and track too. My friend has a 2005 YZ250 and it is a good bike. He has all kinds mods on his bike it has suspension, Ceramic coated piston , FMF exhaust, ect. My bike is stock except for hand guards. I can always pass him and we are pretty equal riders. My last bike was a 2003 YZ250 with all the mods but my 250SX is so much better at every thing. I smoke on single track or the mx track obviously the stock suspension works better on the track but you can do alot with the clickers. The 250SX is a great platform for whatever kind riding you do.
My favorite thing is the handling at 208LBS this is a 250 that feels like a 125. When I ride my friends YZ it feels sluggish compared to my bike. Being a KTM the power is always good and same goes with this bike. My advice is obvious you wouldn't regret the purchase of a 250SX. Help keep 2-strokes alive! 250SX is the lightest MX bike made currently.

• jakem707

Posted September 06, 2007 - 04:46 PM

I ride a 2007 KTM 250SX it is by far the best bike ive owned. I ride trails alot and track too. My friend has a 2005 YZ250 and it is a good bike. He has all kinds mods on his bike it has suspension, Ceramic coated piston , FMF exhaust, ect. My bike is stock except for hand guards. I can always pass him and we are pretty equal riders. My last bike was a 2003 YZ250 with all the mods but my 250SX is so much better at every thing. I smoke on single track or the mx track obviously the stock suspension works better on the track but you can do alot with the clickers. The 250SX is a great platform for whatever kind riding you do.
My favorite thing is the handling at 208LBS this is a 250 that feels like a 125. When I ride my friends YZ it feels sluggish compared to my bike. Being a KTM the power is always good and same goes with this bike. My advice is obvious you wouldn't regret the purchase of a 250SX. Help keep 2-strokes alive! 250SX is the lightest MX bike made currently.

:eek: :thumbsup: :ride: :bonk:

I wish I would of heard this a month ago, when I started dishoning my 2 Stroke patronage, and Going to the Dark side.

Now I'm want the Yz450.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.