some guy said my bike sounded funny

17 replies to this topic
  • adam918

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:49 PM

I was at a local race, heading to the staging area, as I got up there I kept my engine(06 450) running, to let it warm up. After a minute I shut it off. One of the guys next to me asked me why it sounded the way it did. He was either on an 06 or 07 yz450, and he's pretty much a sandbagger pro, hanging out in the vet+B class, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Anyways, I can't remember the word he used as far as the noise goes, but it made me a little paranoid.
To me, the bike did seem to have lot of engine noise when I first bought it brand new, but from what read and heard four strokes are loud, engine wise. I change my oil every two to three rides, depending on how hard I ride,( B-rider at best) and air filter every ride. Engine meter is at 70. Have not done any mods. I put a richer pilot and main jet in from stock. I've only use 91-94octane, and I have always used the 20/40 yamalube non-synthetic.
I do notice, and i've read, that the aftermarket skidplate that I have amplifies the engine noise, but I still feel paranoid about it. When I traded in my 04 it had 172.2 hours, my brother in law bought it, has put at least another 100 on it, and still has not done piston or valves. So should I worry, or keep on riding??? Anyone else have noisy motors? I've wondered if I should use better oil and gas. THANKS

• tnl

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:24 PM

Describe your's? Mine with and without my skidplate is coming from the right side and sounds like a loose washer vibrating up and down some kind of rod/shaft. Mine does it at mid to top rpm and doesn't get any louder with more rpm's. I have 60 hrs on it and it's been there since I can remember? It's not the chain and does it with the clutch pulled in till the rpm's get low again. It's definitely engine related though?Doesn't sound right either but I've been putting up with it though?

• matts06yzf

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:01 AM

Describe your's? Mine with and without my skidplate is coming from the right side and sounds like a loose washer vibrating up and down some kind of rod/shaft. Mine does it at mid to top rpm and doesn't get any louder with more rpm's. I have 60 hrs on it and it's been there since I can remember? It's not the chain and does it with the clutch pulled in till the rpm's get low again. It's definitely engine related though?Doesn't sound right either but I've been putting up with it though?

Mines loud as hell also but its a trait from what i have seen. He might have been trying to get in your head also. But yes they are loud

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:33 AM

Guys just use the foam between the skidplate and engine - it muffles a lot of the noise out

• opie

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:08 AM

Does this guy race in your class? He might have been messing with you to get in your head before the race. I also have an 06 450 and with the skid plate is does amplify the engine noise but after checking everything over, I have not found or had any issues related to the noise.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:03 AM

I was at a local race, heading to the staging area, as I got up there I kept my engine(06 450) running, to let it warm up. After a minute I shut it off. One of the guys next to me asked me why it sounded the way it did. He was either on an 06 or 07 yz450, and he's pretty much a sandbagger pro, hanging out in the vet+B class, so I figured he knew what he was talking about. Anyways, I can't remember the word he used as far as the noise goes, but it made me a little paranoid.
To me, the bike did seem to have lot of engine noise when I first bought it brand new, but from what read and heard four strokes are loud, engine wise. I change my oil every two to three rides, depending on how hard I ride,( B-rider at best) and air filter every ride. Engine meter is at 70. Have not done any mods. I put a richer pilot and main jet in from stock. I've only use 91-94octane, and I have always used the 20/40 yamalube non-synthetic.
I do notice, and i've read, that the aftermarket skidplate that I have amplifies the engine noise, but I still feel paranoid about it. When I traded in my 04 it had 172.2 hours, my brother in law bought it, has put at least another 100 on it, and still has not done piston or valves. So should I worry, or keep on riding??? Anyone else have noisy motors? I've wondered if I should use better oil and gas. THANKS

Keep this in mind. Obviously you had no idea your engine was making any unusuall noises from before, and all of a sudden some other racer asks why your engine is making an odd noise??? What the hell does he care if your engine is making an odd noise or not? It's simply an old skool game to get you paranoid..... and it worked.

I remember one of my first races, a guy following me for like 2 laps was yelling at me to "get out of the way squid !!!!!" finally I moved over took a wide line and he passed me.(I thought the lead rider was lapping me ). It wasnt the lead rider, just a $hit talkin' other squid who couldn't pass me..... my most valuable lesson learned on the track....... RACE YOUR RACE, nobody elses......

• WB450

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:48 PM

"get out of the way squid !!!!!" I like it!

• clutchless

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:52 PM

my 07 sounds like it's gonna blow...

bottom end sounds like ball bearings in a dryer.

not that bad...

same thing happened to a buddy of mine selling a 450.

this dude was checking the bike and reved it out and said bottom end is shot.

friend dropped 500 bucks off the price and sold it.

he kicks himself in the ass all the time knowing the guy totally took him.

• dirtrider04

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:21 PM

you should told him he llooked funny and zoooomed by him on your yami:busted:

maybe he was trying to gett you off your game:excuseme:
if it was an strange dont you think you would have picked it up?
if it runs good i wouldnt woorry too much

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxer727

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:36 PM

here is my story. went riding. put in about 10 laps at the track. stopped at the truck for a drink, fired the old 426 up and noticed a vibration i had not noticed before. panicked and shut it down quick. loaded up and headed home. pulled the clutch cover off and the whole clutch pack moved around alot. the locking tabs on the washer that holds everything on only had one tab bent over and not very good at that. the nut was able to rotate and was slowly spinning off the shaft. WHEW glad i checked that. my buddy had the nut on his old yz250 fly off and it wreaked all kinds of chaos in there.

• yzfjbw323

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:55 PM

The first time I started my 07' I was standing in the garage letting it idle and I actually took a step back because I thought she was going to blow:eek:.
I have since eduacated myself:prof:. I have learned its just a trait of the best
all around, most reliable bike ever made:cheers:.
Dont worry about it, If that guy is at the next race and lines up next to you ask him why he is racing in the pro class:p That will get him worried. I hate sandbaggers :bonk:

• tnl

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:55 PM

here is my story. went riding. put in about 10 laps at the track. stopped at the truck for a drink, fired the old 426 up and noticed a vibration i had not noticed before. panicked and shut it down quick. loaded up and headed home. pulled the clutch cover off and the whole clutch pack moved around alot. the locking tabs on the washer that holds everything on only had one tab bent over and not very good at that. the nut was able to rotate and was slowly spinning off the shaft. WHEW glad i checked that. my buddy had the nut on his old yz250 fly off and it wreaked all kinds of chaos in there.

What kind of noise did it sound like? You mentioned vibration?

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:18 AM

The first time I started my 07' I was standing in the garage letting it idle and I actually took a step back because I thought she was going to blow:eek:.
I have since eduacated myself:prof:. I have learned its just a trait of the best
all around, most reliable bike ever made:cheers:.
Dont worry about it, If that guy is at the next race and lines up next to you ask him why he is racing in the pro class:p That will get him worried. I hate sandbaggers :bonk:

Dont know what all the fuss is over noisy '06 or '07 YZ's. Mine sounds no louder or softer than any other Yamaha big cc 4 stroke since '98..... When a 450 is ready to launch the crank, it does 2 things. Either it makes no noise and randomly stalls when you let off the gas (and is hard to kick over thereafter) until it eventualy siezes up, or you hear a loud ball bearing crunching noise at all engine speeds, and then it locks up......

• djtroy

Posted August 31, 2007 - 06:21 AM

Its the clutch backlash, they addressed this noise on the 08 bike.

• adam918

Posted June 16, 2008 - 07:51 PM

Now that I've had the bike longer, I can tell the engine noise is just amplified from the aftermarket skidplate. This winter I used the stock skidplate for a while, when I switched them after this spring, I could tell right away that the cluch noise seemed louder. I love my 2006 YZ450F!!

• corndog67

Posted June 16, 2008 - 07:58 PM

You should have told him his rear tire was almost flat. Or it looked like his rear wheel bearings were shot. Or his pipe looked loose. Or you saw a triple clamp bolt fall out a while back.

• urgreathero

Posted June 17, 2008 - 01:51 PM

You should have told him his rear tire was almost flat. Or it looked like his rear wheel bearings were shot. Or his pipe looked loose. Or you saw a triple clamp bolt fall out a while back.

lmfaoo

• krackhead

Posted June 17, 2008 - 04:30 PM

My boys 250f was making horrible noise, I was worried it was about to blow, or a lose crank. Turned out to be jetted way to lean, the noise is now normal after jetting was corrected

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.