YZ450 in the woods or a WR45f on the track... which would adapt better?

19 replies to this topic
  • -Splinter

Posted August 28, 2007 - 05:32 PM

If you were to compare the performance of a YZ450 in the woods* with the performance of a WR450f on the track, which would adapt to the 'foreign habitat' better?

*By woods a mean fairly wide open trails( big enough to fit a 4x4 ATV) and dirt roads, not small single tracks.

I ask this because I want to experience both without feeling extremely gimped on one or the other terrains, and I'm having a rough time choosing what bike.

• bigwake

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:11 PM

get the yz..i just got an 03 yz450 for open trails..its great..just make sure you won't be in 1st/2nd most of the time..if so..don't lean towards the yz..i haven't had "over heating" problems with my bike at all except when i went on a track for the first time and stayed in 1st/2nd..it spit lots of coolant out

• bboyce

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:17 PM

YZ in the woods by far.

Thats really all that needs to be said.

• tnl

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Yz...

• tommyj

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:44 PM

Another vote for yz. i lower the gearing for the woods, works for me!:thumbsup:

• cowboyona426

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:42 PM

YZ in the woods! My bike has never seen a track and I haven't even set the sag yet. I put in the heavy off road GYT-R flywheel and added a Dr. D spark arrested pipe, along with all the standards woods goodies (hand guards, rad braces, skid plate, etc.) and couldn't be happier. I also had a woods-ified 00 YZ 426F prior to my 06 YZ 450F and loved it also. The WR will not be happy on the track- all I'd have to do to my YZ to get it track ready is... well nothing :D Get the YZ, you won't regret it.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 29, 2007 - 02:11 AM

If you were to compare the performance of a YZ450 in the woods* with the performance of a WR450f on the track, which would adapt to the 'foreign habitat' better?

*By woods a mean fairly wide open trails( big enough to fit a 4x4 ATV) and dirt roads, not small single tracks.

I ask this because I want to experience both without feeling extremely gimped on one or the other terrains, and I'm having a rough time choosing what bike.

Hands down an easier path is to take the YZ and mod the chassis for woods. It's far easier to soften up a suspension for woods, than it is for you to firm up a soft suspension for MX. Trust me I been there trying to adapt my 2002 WR250F to do some club MX racing. The WR's simply are sprung and valved too soft. On your YZ, soften up the compression, and a flywheel weight, lower the gearing, and you should have a great woods bike!

• jneeley

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:16 AM

I just got rid if an 06 WR450 and got an 04 YZ450, so I feel I have a good perspective on the question.I bought the WR for several reasons, smoking deal, never had a strait up woods bike, and wanted to plate it. I did the usaul list of things, performance mods, exhaust, damper, springs, handle bars...etc, all the stuff to make it "fit" me and my anatomy. I will say that the biggest difference is in the damping rates for the suspension and the gearbox. Being a wide ratio 5 speed I never felt like I didn't have a strong gear to pull. In addition with wider, smoother power spread it was really manageable in the tight slippery stuff. I rode 90% woods and 10% MX. It would handle the track just fine as long as I used some judgement. No big triples or flat landings. The WR had no problem running with the MX 450's in the power dept., where it suffered was in braking and change of direction. You really noticed the extra 30lbs that it carries over the YZ, but overall it was a great bike that did everything I asked it to.

My YZ is little more of a handful offroad. (Read stiff suspension, tall gearing, and harsher power delivery.) The other down side is that I no longer have the Magic Button to bring the bike back to life when I am stalled on a steep climb, no headlight to go night riding with, and no hope of plating it without the dropping of some serious cash for lighting equipment and new exhaust and tires. What I do like is that it is, as I said, ~30lbs lighter and you can feel it.

If you are trying to decide between the two, first ask yourself how you will ride it. Track more that woods? Any desire to plate it? How much bike do you want to lug around? Night rides? I think the YZ will be the more competitive rig for the all around effort, but are we all serious racers? No. Just figure out how you will ride it and I think it will be apparent which one to get.

Just my input.

• Ranger18

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:34 AM

YZ :thumbsup: WR's are slow and heavy, they don't make good track bikes at all.

• adamdf

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:36 AM

YZF for SURE

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • NM_KDX200

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:47 AM

I was considering selling my '04 and getting a WR and asked a similar question right here:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=543263
I'm a lot like you- open "woods", jeep trails, ATV. I really don't like single track that much as I like the option of changing lines. After reading the responses to my thread, I'm keeping the YZ and modifying it a little for the occasional off-road foray- skid plate, FWW, and lower gearing. None of this is going to hurt me on the natural terrain tracks I ride on, either.

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:13 AM

I was considering selling my '04 and getting a WR and asked a similar question right here:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=543263
I'm a lot like you- open "woods", jeep trails, ATV. I really don't like single track that much as I like the option of changing lines. After reading the responses to my thread, I'm keeping the YZ and modifying it a little for the occasional off-road foray- skid plate, FWW, and lower gearing. None of this is going to hurt me on the natural terrain tracks I ride on, either.

Your best friend in the woods with any 450 will be "managable torque". You DON'T want to be fighting a race bred engine in the woods. Don't be afraid to throw in a nice heavy F/W weight to tame the bottom end and midrange (because this is the only parts of the torque curve you will be using). My '07 YZ goes trail riding ocassionally and I still wish the engine was a bit smoother down low (and everyone knows the '07 YZ450 is already a super smooth, and friendly engine.....)

My YZ is geared 2 teeth up in the rear, and I back off my compression 4 clicks and hit the woods, and it does a good job.....but it's still a tad stiff

• Jeff_Steckline

Posted August 29, 2007 - 03:28 PM

I just got rid if an 06 WR450 and got an 04 YZ450, so I feel I have a good perspective on the question.I bought the WR for several reasons, smoking deal, never had a strait up woods bike, and wanted to plate it. I did the usaul list of things, performance mods, exhaust, damper, springs, handle bars...etc, all the stuff to make it "fit" me and my anatomy. I will say that the biggest difference is in the damping rates for the suspension and the gearbox. Being a wide ratio 5 speed I never felt like I didn't have a strong gear to pull. In addition with wider, smoother power spread it was really manageable in the tight slippery stuff. I rode 90% woods and 10% MX. It would handle the track just fine as long as I used some judgement. No big triples or flat landings. The WR had no problem running with the MX 450's in the power dept., where it suffered was in braking and change of direction. You really noticed the extra 30lbs that it carries over the YZ, but overall it was a great bike that did everything I asked it to.

My YZ is little more of a handful offroad. (Read stiff suspension, tall gearing, and harsher power delivery.) The other down side is that I no longer have the Magic Button to bring the bike back to life when I am stalled on a steep climb, no headlight to go night riding with, and no hope of plating it without the dropping of some serious cash for lighting equipment and new exhaust and tires. What I do like is that it is, as I said, ~30lbs lighter and you can feel it.

If you are trying to decide between the two, first ask yourself how you will ride it. Track more that woods? Any desire to plate it? How much bike do you want to lug around? Night rides? I think the YZ will be the more competitive rig for the all around effort, but are we all serious racers? No. Just figure out how you will ride it and I think it will be apparent which one to get.

Just my input.

Well put, at least you have a perspective... I've always had a YZ until the 07 WR's came out. I race desert and enjoy to do the GP's at Honeylake. The WR took some time and money to get to handle a MX course. It will never be close to a YZ on a MX course but it's my choice for the kind of riding most of "us" do. We did just finish Vegas to Reno on the WR, 30th oa and 1st in the over 30 expert class. If I had my way, I would be able to aford both. There both great bikes. Jeff S

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2007 - 04:27 PM

A point to bear in mind is that the '07 WR is somewhat different than the earlier models.

• WB450

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:42 PM

A point to bear in mind is that the '07 WR is somewhat different than the earlier models.

Do tell.:thumbsup:

• dirtrider04

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:22 PM

yz.......

• UltraHyper

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Well I had a 04 WR450, now have a 04 YZ450 prefer my yz Im slowy making it to a trail bike there was to much money involve in making my WR for mx .so for me the yz is the way to go

• Polar_Bus

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:13 AM

I can't offer any input on the 450 YZ vs. WR, but when I had my WR250, a big issue when trying to shift gears aggresively was the wide ratio tranny. It was very hard to keep the rpm's up, especially in the softer loom and sand. (I almost split my 250's cases and swapped over to YZ ratios, thats how much I hated the WR tranny)This might not be such an issue with the bigger torquier 450's.

• Goosedog

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:38 AM

Regardless of which brand motorcycle, it's always easier to take an MX bike in the woods than a woods bike on the track. I say that after owning XR's, DRZ's and finally a YZ...it's the best "do it all" bike around IMO.

• WB450

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:15 AM

I've been changing a few things on my YZ to make it better in the tighter trails/woods, I like the power of the YZ better.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.