(Another) dual carb question....'90 XR600

6 replies to this topic
  • Leget

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:18 PM

Heres a little background to the problem....

I'm using a dual carb setup on what is basically a '90 XR600, the engine came from a '84 XL600. I changed the single boot on the '90 airbox with dual boots from an older model. The problem is the airbox boots are about 1/2" too short.

My question:

On the airbox boots I'm not sure if I should..
1. Make/find some sort of spacer to just fit between the carbs and boots.
2. Add a extra plate between the carbs and head to move the carbs back?
3. Modify the boot/airbox mount to move the boots 1/2" forward?

Moving the carbs back would be the easiest (I think) but I'm not sure how that would effect performance.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Michael

• timothypg

Posted August 28, 2007 - 05:03 PM

what if you used a couple of those pod filters i think they are called. One for each carb, then ditch the airbox.

• Frank ZX

Posted August 28, 2007 - 05:09 PM

I was reading awhile back about a guy that lenghtened his intake,and lost power.So you might not want to move your carb back.Hope this helps some.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • crmc33

Posted August 29, 2007 - 03:49 AM

Yes shorter intake the better for power, but 1/2" rearwards will be unnoticeable (I experimented with +4" on my 675 and it only made 53HP! But it should have made more)

I used to run a XL600 with dual carb with pod filters and also had no problems, so you have a few choices it seems

• Nummie

Posted August 29, 2007 - 04:22 AM

I had posted a reply yesterday, but it dissapeared into cyberspace!?

Anyway, there is supposed to be a spacer between the intake ports on teh head and the intake boots that connect the carb to the head. The spacer is about 1/2" thick. You can sort of see it in these pictures of my '84 XL600R.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's the complete rebuild of my XL600R if it would be of any help:
http://www.nbdsc.ca/...topic.php?t=274

• plodder

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:20 PM

Nummie - Your bike rack is Really well thought out and executed. If you ever want to get rid of it, let me know.

• Huffa 2

Posted August 31, 2007 - 01:16 AM

I had posted a reply yesterday, but it dissapeared into cyberspace!?

Here's the complete rebuild of my XL600R if it would be of any help:
http://www.nbdsc.ca/...topic.php?t=274

Man, you really did a lot of work to that Nummie ! Looks good.

Did you keep tabs on the hours/$$ it took you for the rebuild ?

You anywhere near DCH Toyota ? I bought a Accord wagon off them a year ago or so, just curious if you right by them?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.