Newbie with a few Q's

4 replies to this topic
  • k12

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:28 PM

double post

• cleonard

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:38 PM

Dave's mods are for the XR650L not the 600R. The jetting is a bit lean. I put in a 68S pilot and a 155 or 158 main depending on altitude.

The snorkel is plastic piece that fits in the top opening of the air box under the seat. Just pull it out. However, I bet that it is long gone.

Stock gearing is 14/48. It works pretty well for me, but is a little too tall in the extremely tight stuff. The Rocky Mountain Tusk house brand sprockets have been working good for me.

Some more important things to do is check the valve clearance and clean the frame tube oil screen.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • k12

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Thanks. Good info.

I think the snorkel is still in it. I will check tonight.

Would a 13 front sprocket make the gearing lower, or taller? I went for our maiden ride in some pretty tough stuff this last weekend, and barely even used 2nd gear, much less third. Way too technical for the current stock gearing.

Riding at 6-13k feet (I love CO!). If I pull the snorkel and get a slip on, will this require rejeting?

The bike has about 1k miles on it, would it still need a valve clearance check?

Thanks again.

Kieran

• martinfan30

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:50 PM

13 is lower, better for slow sections.

• cleonard

Posted August 28, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Thanks. Good info.

Riding at 6-13k feet (I love CO!). If I pull the snorkel and get a slip on, will this require rejeting?

The bike has about 1k miles on it, would it still need a valve clearance check?

At those altitudes the stock jetting should be just about right. Give it a try and see how it goes. The main thing is that it is running well. All bikes loose power up high.

Yes, that is about the time for checking the valve clearance. I check mine about twice a year. It is not that hard to do.

Get yourself a shop manual before doing anything. It will have the torque values and other important stuff. The Honda manuals are the best, but an aftermarket manual is good too.

As others have said, don't get a PBI sprocket. A 13 will help in the low speed stuff.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.