What is this hole?

6 replies to this topic
  • Supafreak_711

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:09 PM

I have a 03 YZ450F, and at my last trip to the track I layed the bike down in a turn and while picking it up noticed oil all over my radiatior and header (it was burning off the header). After a long search we found the hole it was comming from. Its on the front right side of the motor facing the right radiator. If you remove the valve cover you can see right through it (I'm guessing your not supposed to be able to do so). I asked another guy at the track if I could take a look at his, and it was just filled with JB-weld. So I am guessing that this is just a plug of some sort, as it has a screw perpindicular to the hole that is still in there (and tight), so I assume the plug managed to sneak its way out in a hard impact (I've been casing a very large table which was hard enough to yank my carb out of the bootie, since the dirt was horrible that day)

First, what is this hole? Second where should I look for a replacement, as I have always been able to find things on bikebandits.com (and this doesnt even seem to be in their diagram). I guess I could always order from yamaha, but they are always slow as christmas around here.

here is a diagram (stolen from bikebandits.com) with an arrow pointing to the hole.
Posted Image

For once I am glad I dropped the bike, because I caught it before running out of oil. That would have been really bad. By the time I made it to the pits the bike was just at the low oil level, and had been almost at the high mark before starting to ride (had ridden about 30 mins)

• rmracer27

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:20 PM

Thats where the decompression lever used to be on the older bikes. You can get a plug from TT that goes there and is held in place by the little bolt #8. Check and make sure your breather line is not plugged off or crimped some how. Very common thing from 03 to 05 bikes. If you get the plug from TT and when u put it in go very easy on that bolt, cause the threads will strip out quickly.

• jayh300

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:21 PM

from what i understand, that is the hole where the manual decompression lever on the old 400's and 426's were. Yamaha still left the head casting with the hole in it and put a rubber plug in there factory. The tt store has a billet plug that takes care of that. I have also seen them on ebay. Grayracer told me you could put a freeze plug in it. I think he said 18mm, but i could not find one that size in my town. The bolt you talked about holds the billet plug in on mine. You might also check the vent hose to make sure it is not plugged up and popped that plug out. That is exactly where the decomp lever was on my 400 and bolt on top of it was where the cable system mounted.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jayh300

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:26 PM

man i gotta learn to type faster !!!

• tnl

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:42 PM

If it's leaking replace it with the above mentioned part. Or try to safety wire it if it's not too late.

• Thomas6x

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:58 PM

man i gotta learn to type faster !!!

I know what you mean.The other night ,I tried to respond to a post and by the time I got thru,I was two pages behind.:thumbsdn:

• grayracer513

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:37 PM

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.