Yamaha Part Numbers, does anyone really know what they mean?

8 replies to this topic
  • Rootuser

Posted August 28, 2007 - 10:51 AM

So I am trying to figure out the difference between the 03,04,05 swingarm linkage on a YZ250F. I know for sure the swing-arm was different from 04 to 05. It was actually just over a pound lighter for example. The same swing arm linkage was supposedly used on all YZs in 05 and in 04. I know there are interchangable parts and the linkage will fit from 02-06 however are there any subtle differences?

The part numbers are exactly the same except for the first 3 digits, for example:

5NY-2217A-00-00 for the 04
vs
1C3-2217A-00-00 for the 05

Do these part numbers decode at all like a VIN number or are they arbitrary?

Thanks in advance

• SUnruh

Posted August 28, 2007 - 10:59 AM

of course i know.
most parts monkey's know too!

first 3 is the model. may or may not work.

• Rootuser

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:25 PM

So cross-reference fitment cannot be known then by just looking at the part number..... any cross-reference sites out there?

• JakeSchmutz108

Posted August 28, 2007 - 02:33 PM

im sure your local yamaha dealer can cross referance the number for you. I know brooks yamaha in manhattan kansas can. Ive had them do it a couple times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • smcdonn

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:53 PM

Guys I hate to tell you but you cant cross reference two different part numbers to see if they will fit different bikes. The part number changed for a reason. The easiest way to see if it will fit is doing exactly what you did, compare parts such as linkage. If the linkage matches then I would say you are good to go because I know the wheels match. Also compare things such as pivot bearing part numbers.

• DefaultPeanut

Posted August 29, 2007 - 01:52 AM

Yes, actually you can use part numbers to cross-reference, with Yamaha Anyway.

Take for example, my RD200. It's a 1974 RD200A. I needed a choke plunger, as the original snapped off. According to the online Yamaha parts catalog, here, the part number is 396-14371-00-00. Now, the 396 (or a 4X5 ect) is what denotes the next numbers, the "part" number, to that bike, or other bikes that share the same part.

But, before I go beyond that. The earlier, number only prefixes do cause a bit of a headache, but I'm just using this as an example. The other number / letter combos from Yamaha are model specific.

Now, The meat of the part number is the series of numbers after the prefix, this is the actual "part" number. Being that the choke plunger number is 396-14371-00-00, I needed to find another carb with the same 2nd set of numbers. Through searching the Yamaha parts catalog, I found that the 1975 RD125B used the same choke plunger. It had the same 14371 for the actual number. The prefix was the same, but I was even told by Yamaha that it would not work. But, it does. Works fine now in the RD200 carbs.

Another good one, that I have found out from working at the shop, is that a 1984 IT200 kickstarter shaft (39W-15660-00-00) can be replaced with a 1983 YZ250 kickstarter shaft (24Y-15660-00-00). See, different prefixes, same part.

• yamafreek_hawaii

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:52 PM

So a 1974 yz 250 swing arm may fit a 2004 if the middle number is the same? Be careful.:prof: I do know that the 3rd set of numbers is the revision meaning number of times was improved xxx(model)-xxxxx(part)-XX(revision). So a 01 would mean a improved part. My first full time job was at the Yamaha distributer. Used to get my yz's for cost. Used to piss off the dealers.:ride:

• mn519

Posted August 30, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Yes, actually you can use part numbers to cross-reference, with Yamaha Anyway.

Take for example, my RD200. It's a 1974 RD200A. I needed a choke plunger, as the original snapped off. According to the online Yamaha parts catalog, here, the part number is 396-14371-00-00. Now, the 396 (or a 4X5 ect) is what denotes the next numbers, the "part" number, to that bike, or other bikes that share the same part.

But, before I go beyond that. The earlier, number only prefixes do cause a bit of a headache, but I'm just using this as an example. The other number / letter combos from Yamaha are model specific.

Now, The meat of the part number is the series of numbers after the prefix, this is the actual "part" number. Being that the choke plunger number is 396-14371-00-00, I needed to find another carb with the same 2nd set of numbers. Through searching the Yamaha parts catalog, I found that the 1975 RD125B used the same choke plunger. It had the same 14371 for the actual number. The prefix was the same, but I was even told by Yamaha that it would not work. But, it does. Works fine now in the RD200 carbs.

Another good one, that I have found out from working at the shop, is that a 1984 IT200 kickstarter shaft (39W-15660-00-00) can be replaced with a 1983 YZ250 kickstarter shaft (24Y-15660-00-00). See, different prefixes, same part.

THIS WILL NOT ALWAYS WORK. YOU GOT LUCKY THAT SOME PARTS DO INTERCHANGE(ex yz125 and yz250f pressure plate)

take for example this part # 5CU-18172-00-00 and this one # 4JY-18172-00-00. Are they interchangeable? No. They are both the same part(shift guide) one for a 1999 yz125 and one for a 2003 yz250.

here are the pics
Posted Image
Posted Image

http://oem.thumperta...shiftshaft.aspx
http://oem.thumperta...shiftshaft.aspx

• Rootuser

Posted August 30, 2007 - 06:48 PM

It's as I had figured for years and years, almost completely arbitrary. I was hoping that in the last few years they had standardized some how, but alas they haven't. I researched this in 2002 and the answer was the same then. I was hoping they had gotten smarter. Intersting note here is that the dealer ALWAYS says the parts won't fit..... It's amazing. I have yet to have a dealer tell me that a part I KNOW will fit cross years and models (say a YZ125 swing arm vs a YZ250 swing arm for an 04 and 03) will work. However I have layed the parts side by side and they are exactly the same. If the parts weren't the same cost I'd think it was a scam, but in honesty I think its just piss poor parts management... oh well! Thanks for the input everyone.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.