MOAB/10 Mile Wash users-MOAB DRMP released!

40 replies to this topic
  • ophir

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:16 AM

If you ride Moab, 10 Mile Wash, Dubinky or White Wash, the BLM has recently released the Draft Resource Management Plan (DRMP). What does this mean? This plan will dictate what trails will be left open in this area. This is going to be a huge battle for the off-road community. This battle has been on the horizon for over a year now. I guarantee that SUWA will be on their game. If we sit back and DO NOTHING that is exactly what we are going to get back to ride, NOTHING!!!

The comment period will end on November 30th. The BLM will hold several open houses throughout Utah and one in Grand Junction. I would encourage you to attend. It is not as important to attend as it will be to submit informed written comments.

Cliff Kontz with Ride With Respect out of Moab, Blue Ribbon and USA-ALL are currently going through the DRMP. Through this analysis we will identify the areas that will need specific comment that will help us make useful and informed comments.

What can you do now?

1. Sharpen your pencil and wait! Within the next 30-45 days I will make another post here with an outline of specific comments to make. It will be simple and to the point. All you will need to do is put the info in your own words or cut and paste.

2. Blue Ribbon has teamed up with USA-ALL BRC to setup a special way for concerned users to get involved called the "Moab Access Partner" program. For a monthly pledge of $10 for one one year, you'll receive a Moab Access Partner t-shirt, bumper sticker, and quarterly updates on the process. It's a great way to get involved and keep Moab open for the enjoyment of everyone. Contact Blue Ribbon to become a Moab Access Partner.

3. Personal letters as well as club letters will be needed. Explore ways to bring this before clubs and other off road organizations to maximize our voice.

The USA-ALL website site has some additional information on the DRMP and the open house schedules http://www.usaall.org/moab.aspx

• gratefuldawg

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:20 AM

Just so we are clear, currently there are 5,062 acres of closed area, with the "preferred alternative" there will be 339,298 closed. Designated routes will go from 4672 miles to 2519 miles and the open riding areas will go from 620,212 acres to 1866 acres. Sounds like they kept the OHV users in mind. :thumbsdn:

• ophir

Posted August 28, 2007 - 11:25 AM

These are never good for us. We will keep you posted. Thanks for checking this out. I am trying to get this on a Sticky to keep in fresh.

• gratefuldawg

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:44 PM

Once you get us a good foundation for a letter I think we should also write the politicians. Here is the contact information for the Governor, Representative and Congressmen.

Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. (R-UT)
Contact Information

Web Site: www.utah.gov/governor
E-mail: Contact Via 'Web Form.'

East Office Bldg., Ste. E220
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-2220
Phone: (801) 538-1000
Fax: (801) 538-1528

Senator Robert Bennett (R-UT)
3rd-term Republican from Utah.
Contact Information

Web Site: bennett.senate.gov

Washington Office:
431 Dirksen Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-4403
Phone: (202) 224-5444
Fax: (202) 228-1168

Main District Office:
125 South State St., Ste. 4225
Salt Lake City, UT 84138
Phone: (801) 524-5933
Fax: (801) 524-5730
(more district offices)

Senator Orrin G. Hatch (R-UT)
6th-term Republican from Utah.
Contact Information

Web Site: hatch.senate.gov

Washington Office:
104 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510-4402
Phone: (202) 224-5251
Fax: (202) 224-6331

Main District Office:
8402 Fed. Bldg., 125 South State St.
Salt Lake City, UT 84138
Phone: (801) 524-4380
Fax: (801) 524-4379
(more district offices)

Representative Jim Matheson (D-UT 2nd)
th-term Democrat from Utah.

Contact Information

Web Site: www.house.gov/matheson

Washington Office:
1323 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515-4402
Phone: (202) 225-3011
Fax: (202) 225-5638

Main District Office:
240 East Morris Ave., #235
South Salt Lake, UT 84115
Phone: (801) 486-1236
Fax: (801) 486-1417
(more district offices)

• Colo.TJ

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:35 AM

Are the Red Rock 4 Wheelers involved? They have worked closely w/ the BLM for over 30 years. What are they saying?

• ophir

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:43 AM

I am not sure where Red Rock is sitting, but I do know that the Utah Fourwheel Drive Association has partnered up to watch this with USA-ALL.

• ophir

Posted August 29, 2007 - 10:06 AM

Why is the comments on the "draft" RMP so important? It is the only time we can comment specifically on adding trails that was not included and to our best at fixing the BS. When the final RMP comes out it is too late. At that point we will be only comment on one alternative. When you comment on the alternative you prefer, you are usually picking the lessor of three or four evils.

• Rodzilla

Posted August 29, 2007 - 01:31 PM

While none of the TMP's is Unimportant, this one has something that many of the othes don't.

This area has a VERY active, VERY well organized and well funded anti-access group that just focuses on southern Utah.

The Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance (SUWA) has been strong arming the land managers, misrepresenting thier goals to the populace of the area (you mean to tell me the Gas stations in Moab support no Jeep safari?)

The SUWA WILL be acting IN FORCE.

WE MUST BE PREPARED FOR ALL OUT BATTLE!

Don't forget this is not "just Moab" but White Wash/Dubinky Wells, Green River, the "Swell" and all the way east and north to Rabbit Valley in Colorado.

Join USA-ALL and help fight to keep our access!:rant:

• N7SLC

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:07 PM

I will be attending at least two of those public meetings...

• quick1nick

Posted August 30, 2007 - 02:29 PM

I have had a bad feeling about this day coming. Unfortunately for us I think things are going to get ugly!? I'd hate to see the same thing happen here (Moab) as it did in Factory Butte which is what is outlined in this plan. If you read carefully the OHV community is most affected by this proposal and yet this is the group that has put Moab on the map! I use to think that the Factory Butte area would never be taken away because the Cainville and Hanksville areas thrieved off the OHV community spending dollars, everyone that knows the area knows it's too damn hot for hikers or sight seers but never the less we lost the majority of this area. I realize that not all the area has been closed permanently but the Swing Arm area is not why I traveled the distance to ride that area. I can't remember how many thousands of acres were taken away from us in the Factory Butte area but in a nutshell it is outlined to loose just as much in the Moab area. WE MUST NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!:rant:

• rich1167

Posted August 30, 2007 - 04:01 PM

I just became a Moab Access Partner. I hope my contributions help to keep these lands open.

Rich Pumo.

• ophir

Posted August 31, 2007 - 10:24 AM

During the comment period, SUWA will be doing there slide show on the east coast in the big cities. Thousands of people attend, get brainwashed, donate TONS of money and write thousands of letter to protect the land from US.

• rich1167

Posted August 31, 2007 - 01:13 PM

I wonder what the business owners in Moab think off all this? I would hope their is a chamber of comerce in Moab that would voice their opinion on this matter. You would think the local opinion would carry more weight than that off bunch off greenes from the big city.

• Rodzilla

Posted August 31, 2007 - 07:22 PM

While it's true that Moab has the voice, this WILL hurt Moab and it WILL hurt Green River

There are many areas effected (affected?) that have no "Speaker" just us.

There is no "town" per se in the Swell, nor at White Wash.

If we sit with our thumbs up our azzes WE WILL LOSE

SEND A FEW BUCKS AND JOIN USA-ALL and the MOAB Parnership at Sharetrails.org It's cheaper than a pair of tires and you'll get more milage in the long run!!:thumbsup:

• ophir

Posted September 01, 2007 - 05:15 AM

You would think that the Moab area chamber of commerce would be upset. Go to SUWA's website and check out a list of supporters and you will see pleanty of businesses in Moab that are SUWA supporters. Hard to believe, but it is true. I check the list before I go down there just to make sure that I do not support any business that is a SUWA supporter.

It is the off road community that keeps Moab and Green River alive. I have spoken to Cathy, owner of Rays Tavern and she has mentioned she is greatful for our support. Just look at these areas when summer is over, the tourists and river rats leave. The big majority are ATVs and MCs.

Cathy also told me that she likes the off road community because they tip well. Makes sense, we spend money. We stay in motels, eat out and tip. The environmentalist stops in town in their hybrids maybe buys a little gas and then moves on. They do not spend money in towns.

• Fngeniusshan

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I sent a quick email to the Red Rock Four Wheelers to inquire about their plans. No reply yet, but I know they have an event this weekend. I’ll keep you posted. Later, FnShan-GRMA

• Fngeniusshan

Posted September 04, 2007 - 07:59 AM

I wonder what the business owners in Moab think off all this? I would hope their is a chamber of comerce in Moab that would voice their opinion on this matter. You would think the local opinion would carry more weight than that off bunch off greenes from the big city.

SUWA is making a presentation to the Moab Chamber of Commerce today, 9/04/07. When spending your money in Moab you need to be careful. We really need for the mountain bikers to realize if SUWA has their way they will be locked out right along side of us. Later, FnShan-GRMA

• Rodzilla

Posted September 04, 2007 - 10:50 AM

There is a long standing saying in Moab:

"Mountain bikers bring one pair of shorts and $10 to town and they don't change either of them when they're there"

A TON of the $$$ Moab/Green River makes is from the OHV community.

• rich1167

Posted September 04, 2007 - 11:25 AM

I think many MTBers would say it's our fault for any clousers that take place. I have heard this first hand form MTBers gearing up next to me. Bottom line is if were not for the Jeepers most of the trails would not be their. It would be nice if we could all come together as a commuinty and face this issue. Regardless of what we ride or pedal.

• N7SLC

Posted September 04, 2007 - 06:09 PM

I think many MTBers would say it's our fault for any clousers that take place. I have heard this first hand form MTBers gearing up next to me. Bottom line is if were not for the Jeepers most of the trails would not be their. It would be nice if we could all come together as a commuinty and face this issue. Regardless of what we ride or pedal.

Too true...in fact, the Slick Rock Trail was made by a motorcyclist!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.