riding a 426 slow

9 replies to this topic
  • Ztard

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:54 AM

How bad is it?

I have been getting my boy up and running on his PW50, and I have been letting him follow me on the trails. I have been running the bike in first gear/idle just to stay slow enough so he can keep up. I know the bike is getting hotter than normal, but I am not boiling any coolant out. What are my risks if I continue?

Should I just buy another 50 so I can ride with him.

• kenr74

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:40 AM

My son chugs along behind me on his 70 and I have never had any problems. You can definitely feel the heat coming off the engine but I pop it into 2nd and get it moving once in a while. Seems to cool it down pretty fast.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:02 AM

yah, aside from it heating up I can't think of anything hurting it too bad....you could always mount a box fan to one of the rads and run a long extension chord :thumbsup: :lol:

• Solo

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:03 AM

If it's not burping any coolant then you're not too hot. Have no fear, you're ok. Buying another 50 is never a bad idea- the're FUN! If you're going to get one for you to ride get a TTR or CRF instead of a PW. You could also get a 70 or so that you could ride and that way you have something the kid could grow into.

• Dustin_Mabro

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:03 AM

wow....the :lol: suddenly got sorta cynical

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KAS

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:08 AM

If you're not spitting coolant, it isn't too hot. No worries.

• Ztard

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Thanks to all for the advice, even the box fan Idea

• Digger01

Posted August 28, 2007 - 11:46 AM

I have the same situation.. but on a hot day i can see coolant coming out the overflow. This had made me think of buying the better antifreeze and the water conditioner to help dissapate heat.

Can anything bad happen, I have had this bike one summer and dont want to mess it up!!

Maybe I should have bought him the peppy kawasaki, when we trail ride I try and have him in front of me - I found out the hard way, constant looking behind me I ended up on the ground.:thumbsdn:

• 642MX

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:29 PM

I found out the hard way, constant looking behind me I ended up on the ground.:thumbsdn:

When my wife first started riding I did that a lot. Finally, she started getting faster, now I can hear her on my butt most of the time. :eek:

• 642MX

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:34 PM

How bad is it?

I have been getting my boy up and running on his PW50, and I have been letting him follow me on the trails. I have been running the bike in first gear/idle just to stay slow enough so he can keep up. I know the bike is getting hotter than normal, but I am not boiling any coolant out. What are my risks if I continue?

Should I just buy another 50 so I can ride with him.

If your not boiling over, your OK. If you want to drop the engine temp down, get some 2twocool. Add 3 oz per oil change. The 2twocool will make a big difference in the heat the motor generates. The 2twocool is available in the TT store. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.