Questions about the 04 450 I just got.

8 replies to this topic
  • jneeley

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hey all, I just picked up an '04 YZ450F, and I have a few questions that maybe you guys can answer. Save your flaming, as I did a search already and that yielded no satisfactory data, just random statements on this and that.

1. Is the jetting going to be close to an '06 WR450F jetting or WR's in general? I just got rid of my "06 WR450F and had really good luck with the jetting chart on the WR forum. What I am getting is popping upon deceleration and it just does not have the crisp "bark" I feel it should.

2. What gearing do you suggest? I have to replace the sprockets and chain, so I might as well optimize my gearing in the process. I live in Arkansas where we have an endless supply of baby head rocks, steep short climbs and slick clay based soil. I went down one tooth on the CS sprocket on my WR and it was perfect. My yz being a 4-speeder, I definately wanted some input.

To all who gave inout in my previous thread about issues with the '04, thanks. I even have a Decomp plug on the way, and to the fella who asked if I coul beat his deal...yeah I beat it.

Cheers, Jason

• Mutu

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:20 AM

Well, the YZ's have not got the ACV circuit on their carby's like the WR's.
So no 48 pilot jet needed. Instead, a 40 - 42 is usually what is used.
Use a fuel screw to dial it in. It should be a lot crisper than the WR.
It may pop a bit on decel, but this is normal.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:46 PM

pilots are lean - go one richer
same on main -(test with trial and error) JDJetting kit works extremely well on this bike
this take some time tuning fuel screw but you can get it to stop popping - buy a fuel screw immediately...and a hotstart alum nut
For gearing - for flat out mx on long tracks go to a 47tooth...really makes the 4speed unbelievebly nicer...otherwise go up 49/50 for woods w/flywheel weight
03-05 turns like a pig...stormlink will help tremendously especially in woods and tighter turns
it is endless how you can enhance this bike...have fun:thumbsup:
I also have many spare aftermkt parts for this bike if interested...

• btray

Posted August 28, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Congradulations on your new bike...definetly get the 14oz flywheel weight and it will coast into turns good and hook up good out of them with predicability....I'm the guy with the brother-in-law who got it for 2k...If you beat that you're way ahead and should do the storm link thingy...that's my next move...really starting to get use to the way a 4stroke turns and loving it. Just roll on the power and make your own berm...dont be afraid of laying it way over in a turn if you've got the trottle on...other wise it's going to drift a little...like they say steer with the rear.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jneeley

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:25 PM

What is this Storm Link I am hearing of?

• jneeley

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:47 PM

What does the "S" mean on the stock jets?

ex. "170s"

Also, I was reading where some of you guys were unpluging the TPS. Why?

• Mutu

Posted August 29, 2007 - 01:22 AM

What does the "S" mean on the stock jets?
ex. "170s"

You answered your own question. "S" = stock.

Also, I was reading where some of you guys were unpluging the TPS. Why?

Because they are too lazy to jet their bikes properly. :excuseme:

• jneeley

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:56 AM

Cool I appreciate all the info.

Any one knoww of any negatives that the Storm Link brings with it? I saw what it is and what it does. .5 degree really make that big a difference?

• Ga426owner

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:25 AM

Cool I appreciate all the info.

Any one knoww of any negatives that the Storm Link brings with it? I saw what it is and what it does. .5 degree really make that big a difference?

nope no negatives as long as the sag is set to around 105mm....it makes these bike turn a lot easier....195.00 and easy to install

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.