new to me brp, any must haves or must knows?

2 replies to this topic
  • lintnercorey

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:16 PM

my last bike was a trusty rusty '82 xl 500, sold it a few years ago and though i have ridden the xr650r many times (my buddy had several xrs) this is my first. i was hoping for any suggestions or any must know issues or mods that i need to be aware of. this bike will be rode dirt and street 50/50. it is an 01 with the full hrc kit, uncorked, baja designs e start, dual wound stator, baja designs h.o. headlight, baja designs street legal kit, clark 4.6 gal tank, pro taper bars, moose hand guards, the rear suspension was done at precision concepts for a guy about my weight, the front at independent. just put some new dunlop 606 dot tires that seem like they'll be a good compromise. any suggestions on good gears for freeway speeds and offroad? 6'4" 250lbs

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zook350

Posted August 27, 2007 - 09:46 PM

sounds like you have a great bike, i am running 14/47 which is a good mix for highway and steep hill climbing for me. mines uncorked stock and i am 195, with your mods the gearing should work fine. how about some pics? search ( lots of great information and links.

Posted August 27, 2007 - 09:57 PM

Sounds like the bike is pretty well dialed in for you. A couple of additional things to watch that you may already know about:

1. Right foot peg. Keep a close eye on it or better yet have it modded.

2. Countershaft seal. Keep an extra ($5) and make sure the crankcase breather tube does not get pinched anywhere.

3. Choke plate. To be safe, check that it has been replaced with a one piece unit w/o the little hinged door. 650R's are known to ingest them.

Happy roosting :ride:

Related Content

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  41 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.