xr650l swingarm bearings

5 replies to this topic
  • elrontx

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:09 PM

my swingarm has a little play on my 05 650l.I think the bearings are going so I just ordered the swingarm bearings and plan to put them on soon.is there anything else I need like special tools or other parts? is this a easy job or a PITA. I searched this fourm but only found info on the R model. thanks guys.the bike only has 7600 miles im suprised their allready shot.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:54 AM

Mine weren't too hard, and didn't make it past 5000 mi (never greased 'em).

There is a good trick to it- you need a long threaded rod, some nuts, some sockets that are just the right diameter, and some washers that you grind into an oval.

To get the old bearings out, you take a washer that fits on the rod that is the same outside diameter of the bearing outer race (ju7st a wee bit smaller) and you grind it into an oval so you can put it through the bearing, then tilt it back upright BEHIND the bearing, then put the threaded rod (with a nut on it) through the washer.

Now you have a washer behind the bearing and you can use the rod/washers/sockets/nuts like a puller to pull out the old bearing.

If you have trouble and want to drive down to cortland some evening, we'll share a few brewskies and I'll help you pull it.

(oh, man, that didn't sound right!)

Dave

• KDXiled

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:02 AM

Order A Small Press From Harbor Freight. Makes Life Easy. Between That And A Vice And A Scocket Set (to Press The Bearings In And Out With) You Should Be Covered. :busted:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • martinfan30

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:14 PM

If you have trouble and want to drive down to cortland some evening, we'll share a few brewskies and I'll help you pull it.

WOAH buddy!
thats being a little forward!LOL!:busted: :busted: :busted:

• elrontx

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:27 PM

i appricate the offer dave but im down in yonkers. mabye ill come up one day to ride and we can do it before or after the ride if thats cool. ill buy the beer.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Ah, I should have said "up to cortland!"

For some reason I was thinking yopu were one of the rochester area guys.

Yonkuhs, eh? Both sides of my family were from yonkers- tuckahoe road, nepperham ave, all that good stuff.

Dave

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.