Help with horn

5 replies to this topic
  • Winkel

Posted August 27, 2007 - 06:37 PM

Guys,

I'm getting ready to transfer my XR650R from Illinois (plated) to Ohio. Needless to say, they will inspect it and I can't get good sound out of my horn. I've tried two different ones now and neither works. They both work fine when I hook them to the battery of my truck, but a guy at works says there might be a problem with some AC interference out of the bike's :excuseme: system. I've rewound my stator and a 55 watt Baja Designs headlight doesn't even dim at idle. Any thoughts???

Thanks,
Winkel

• exaresix

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:16 PM

You can't get a DC horn to work with AC. The sound has been likened to a strangling duck or frog. You will need to use a regulator/rectifier in place of your regulator, and also put in a small battery in parallel to the whole system. Very easy fix.

I have been told that there is an AC horn made for scooters that is available for purchase, but I checked and rechecked the web, and the only AC scooter horns available were for 6 volt only.

• eastreich

Posted August 27, 2007 - 08:38 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...5QQcmdZViewItem

You can try one of these. The dealership that I used to work at would install these on dirt bikes that were being "legalized" that did not have DC systems. These little buggers run on a 9 volt and are plently loud. They are electric, so they pass the Montana DMV test. Just for fun, as it is not practical, I did hide an 18 volt drill battery behind a front headlight shell once to power a horn and get past DMV on an XR. On 18 volts, a little cheap OEM horn off of an '81 DT125 is really loud and has a short, but fun, lifespan!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zook350

Posted August 27, 2007 - 09:33 PM

you could got to radio shack and buy a diode and install it in one of the wires for the horn. that would only allow the voltage to flow in one direction and should work at a very low cost.

• creeky

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:58 AM

exaresix has the right answer, regulator/rectifier and a battery does the trick. Procycle has decent components at friendly prices www.procycle.us

• Winkel

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:21 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. A friend at work suggested the diode also. I'll give that a try first since it sounds like the cheapest and most permanent. If that gives me trouble, I'll try the bicycle horn.
Thanks again,

Winkel

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.