what is the easiest way

12 replies to this topic
  • ajnewton923

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:09 PM

to straiten your subframe? i took a hard fall on the right side and it tagged my muffler and bent it over far enough to make it rub on the tire pretty hard.

thanks
AJ

i also tried searching and nothing really came up

• bigwake

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:21 PM

i had a bent sub for a kx250..i took it to my school shop class and bent it straight in a vice..it worked well..also..i bolted it up to the bike..and i held the bike firm on the stand..while my dad beat the lights out of it with a hammer..worked well..

• dmoney1074

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Subframes are pretty cheap, you might be better off looking for a used one than compramising the structual integrity off your bike and possibly putting yourself in danger. Check ebay... Just my 2 centavos

• bigwake

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:32 PM

true..i forgot to mention..i was watching some on ebay..and ended up just buying a straight used one for $60..plus shipping..so look at ebay

• ncmountainman

Posted August 28, 2007 - 05:58 AM

to straiten your subframe? i took a hard fall on the right side and it tagged my muffler and bent it over far enough to make it rub on the tire pretty hard.

thanks
AJ

i also tried searching and nothing really came up

take off the seat and rear plastic(fender,sidepanels,etc.) wedge the bike between 2 trees that are close enough together to hold the bike solid from side to side force. get a 5'-6' length of some 1 1/2" steel pipe(pipe not conduit) and force the subframe back where it belongs,make sure not to go too far! trees are a big part of redneck bodywork(causing and fixing the problem:crazy: )

• ajnewton923

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:25 AM

by bending it back will it make it that much weaker? it is maybe an 1-1 1/2 inch tops.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted August 28, 2007 - 07:43 AM

by bending it back will it make it that much weaker? it is maybe an 1-1 1/2 inch tops.

if its kinked and/or cracked it would be but if its just bent i'd say you could get away with it once or twice(at least i have):thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:50 PM

take off the seat and rear plastic(fender,sidepanels,etc.) wedge the bike between 2 trees that are close enough together to hold the bike solid from side to side force. get a 5'-6' length of some 1 1/2" steel pipe(pipe not conduit) and force the swingarm back where it belongs,make sure not to go too far! trees are a big part of redneck bodywork(causing and fixing the problem:crazy: )

Bingo:thumbsup: :thumbsup: NCMTNMAN....where you been...man.....glad you are back!:busted:
This is exactly how to fix a bent subframe....also buy yourself a deadweight hammer at Homedepot....it works majic for smaller subframe bending adjustments...the pipe is also at homedepot and cost about 6bucks...works amazing:thumbsup:
I have seen totally pretzeled subframes fixed this way

• StPeters21

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:57 PM

ebay......get a new one :D

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2007 - 08:41 AM

wedge the bike between 2 trees that are close enough together to hold the bike solid from side to side force. get a 5'-6' length of some 1 1/2" steel pipe(pipe not conduit) and force the swingarm back where it belongs,make sure not to go too far! trees are a big part of redneck bodywork(causing and fixing the problem:crazy: )

This only works in places like NC & Georgia, where the trees are that dense. We have to find alternatives here.

The principal is perfectly sound, though. :thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted August 31, 2007 - 08:30 PM

Bingo:thumbsup: :thumbsup: NCMTNMAN....where you been...man.....glad you are back!:ride:
This is exactly how to fix a bent subframe....also buy yourself a deadweight hammer at Homedepot....it works majic for smaller subframe bending adjustments...the pipe is also at homedepot and cost about 6bucks...works amazing:thumbsup:
I have seen totally pretzeled subframes fixed this way

i've been protesting an executive decision in the suspender forum,its fixed now;so back in business....oh wait a minute ,is it ok to say business without paying for sponsorship:excuseme: :bonk:
gray,
that explains everything...a state full of tree huggers with no trees to hug:p

• Ga426owner

Posted September 01, 2007 - 05:43 AM

i've been protesting an executive decision in the suspender forum,its fixed now;so back in business....oh wait a minute ,is it ok to say business without paying for sponsorship:excuseme: :thumbsup:
gray,

yea I figured you were involved in that DJ mess.....hope it all worked itself out

Grey... I guess those cactus are a real bitch to deal with:p

• grayracer513

Posted September 01, 2007 - 08:56 AM

It's not that there aren't any, it's just that either the huggers won't let anyone take a motorcycle near them, or they're far enough apart to ride between without cutting one down.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.