Why the stall when coming to a sudden stop on XR650R?

14 replies to this topic
  • xplore

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:22 AM

I am sure you guys have figured it out, but I can't find out what the fix is. When I have to shut down quick for a red light or even if I chop the throttle and pull in the clutch the old girl wants to stall. I have jetted it well, with the needle in right position for 5000 feet. Is there something else that you guys know about? Adjusting the air screw and idle only affect it minimally. If I give it gas on the decel it wont stall. I would really appreciate some help cause it gets a little anoying.

• martinfan30

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:26 AM

if you get no change with the fuel screw(fuel screws are in front of the slide, air screws are behind the slide)that is a sign of too big of a pilot.

• Coolidge

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:31 AM

Mine will do that too, if my idle is just a little too low.

• koldsimer

Posted August 27, 2007 - 06:59 PM

I think float levels can cause these kinds of issues also.

• rcnutt

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:05 PM

yep , check the float level

• philipstjohn

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:03 AM

Mine will do that too, if my idle is just a little too low.

I hade the same issue...and since I adjusted my idle it has not died on me since...:thumbsup:

• xplore

Posted August 29, 2007 - 04:55 AM

Thanks guys I will check the float level. If there is any other things that you can come up with I would appreciate it. I will post the results if anyone cares as soon as I get to the float.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pman13

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:17 AM

I had the same problem and it went away after I adjusted my idle.

• BWB63

Posted August 29, 2007 - 06:03 AM

Idle mixture screw needs adjustment, then set your idle.

• Thorpey

Posted August 29, 2007 - 12:42 PM

Idle mixture screw needs adjustment, then set your idle.

• koldsimer

Posted August 29, 2007 - 03:16 PM

Just out of curiosity guys, how would the idle mixture cause this problem only under certain conditions? It seems like it would wanna die all the time if that were the issue. (keep in mind, i have only basic m/c jetting knowledge) But it would always be good to check either way I guess.

• BWB63

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:04 PM

Bike is running lean and that causes surging. Slight chance this is being agravated by the fuel in the tank. Bikes are real finniky to the oxogenated fuels and there change from winter to summer grades. How much alcohol a certan fuel uses. Lets get down to the real facts, what is the jetting you have in your bike and with what mod's. East coast / West coast and we know 5000'. Carb mod's?

• hondacrf150f1

Posted August 29, 2007 - 05:15 PM

I had this proble wonce when i had the rear tire nearly locked on dirt, i mean i had the clutch in but when i got to a slow speed i relized the motor stopped. Myn idles fine though, even when its cold it still starts and idles consitent.

I have a 172 main jet and 68S pilot

• Thorpey

Posted August 29, 2007 - 07:04 PM

xplore, do you have the manual? If not download it here:

Pilot screw adjustment/ idle drop procedure
Page 5-15
Try doing the above STEP by STEP. You don't have to open up the carb.
My '01 used to screw itself in from the vibration of the engine. I'd notice it when chopping the throttle the idle would "hang".
Hanging idle= lean
burble/stall = rich
Your throttle stop setting may be masking the pilot circuit problem.
Hope this helps.

• xplore

Posted September 06, 2007 - 05:52 AM

I have not gotten to the task yet. I have a "B35e needle" can't remeber the clip position, but it is in a good one? The pilot is a "68s". And the main is a "165". I live in Colorado. I first noticed the problem when I took it to California for a week long ride. "Which was awesome by the way! You Californians' are great and have some cool places to ride!" The fuel/air screw made no difference. Maybe just a tad, but the problem was still there. It would die every time in the desert off road sections, so I turned the idle up and it was not as bad, just annoying... both the high idle and the wanting to stall. If I rev it up just sitting there in the driveway and let off the throttle quick it does the same thing. I am going to check the valves, clean out the carb, check the float level, and change the air filter soon. The wierd thing is that it was fine After I got it all jetted corectally. I was so proud of her cause it started first kick every time and still does after 13,000 miles now. Just the little anoying stall deal is the only thing? I just figured one of you guys had the same thing happen to you and could enlighten eveyone. Besides the fuel/air screw and the idle? I hope to get to the chore as soon as I can, and thank you for all of the replys. You guys are really great! I never expected so many, so thank you.

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.