Anyone have a 160/60 X 17" rear tire on a XRL??

3 replies to this topic
  • jdilpkle

Posted August 27, 2007 - 08:30 AM

When I placed into the swingarm, my new UNMOUNTED bare 160/60 X 17" Bridgestone sportbike tire, it has 1/4" gap between the tire and swingarm on the right side when tire is just touching the chain on left side. I mocked up the tire in the swingarm w/o wheels just to see how close a fit I had.
Once the tire is mounted on the new 4.5" Excel rim and aired up, will it pull in some and fit? Anyone done it? I already bought the tires and the rims are being laced now. I also bought custom spokes with more of an angle to help with the stock hub being laced to wider rim. If I have to, I will go smaller on the tire, but again, I do have the new tires now all ready in my garage to be mounted once I receive the laced wheels.
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm getting anxious - it's my first (baby) motard. Just getting my feet wet, looking forward to twisty, tight, off-camber, decreasing radus, bumpy, downhill, banked, wonderful Angeles Crest Hwy high above Los Angeles! I've had all the sportbikes I can stand - time for a change! :ride:
jdilpkle

• mgs781

Posted August 27, 2007 - 08:58 AM

When I placed into the swingarm, my new UNMOUNTED bare 160/60 X 17" Bridgestone sportbike tire, it has 1/4" gap between the tire and swingarm on the right side when tire is just touching the chain on left side. I mocked up the tire in the swingarm w/o wheels just to see how close a fit I had.
Once the tire is mounted on the new 4.5" Excel rim and aired up, will it pull in some and fit? Anyone done it? I already bought the tires and the rims are being laced now. I also bought custom spokes with more of an angle to help with the stock hub being laced to wider rim. If I have to, I will go smaller on the tire, but again, I do have the new tires now all ready in my garage to be mounted once I receive the laced wheels.
I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse, but I'm getting anxious - it's my first (baby) motard. Just getting my feet wet, looking forward to twisty, tight, off-camber, decreasing radus, bumpy, downhill, banked, wonderful Angeles Crest Hwy high above Los Angeles! I've had all the sportbikes I can stand - time for a change! :ride:
jdilpkle

I run a 160 Conti on a 5" excel rim. No rubbing, clears the chain by 3/16 and the swingarm by the 1/8. I did have to space out the rub plates so the chain doesn't slap the tire. Most 160 are too big for a 4.5 rim, but if you already have the tires....:ride:

Good luck,

MGS

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • lhark

Posted August 27, 2007 - 01:03 PM

The 4.5" rim will probably pull it in some, and make the actual contact patch narrower. 160's had been run on those size rims, for a long time, back in the early 90's (CBR 600 F2, and others). I have an XRL with the stock rear.....I always wondered if that size tire would work, if I take the plunge and go Motard with it. Thanks for bringing up the issue, this helps me make the decision to think about it harder...

• jdilpkle

Posted August 28, 2007 - 10:19 AM

Anything has got to be better than wailing around corners on knobbies feeling like I'm riding on rubber pencils!! WHAT contact patch!!!
jdilpkle

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.