Did the 600 get better front brakes at any point?

4 replies to this topic
  • MindBlower

Posted August 26, 2007 - 11:01 PM

In the lifetime it was made did they upgrade the fronts at some model year?
I'm wanting to upgrade my 350's if it's possible.
Thinking master cyl. and caliper. Would CR brakes mount up? Be stronger?

• eastreich

Posted August 27, 2007 - 08:48 AM

How are you going to mount a brake caliper to the 350's forks? I would think that if you were going to go this route you would also need to change forks so that everything would mount up correctly.

IMO if you are truly trying to upgrade the 350 with modern brakes, it would be cheaper to sell the 350 and get a '97 or newer 400. Or find a blown up 600 with disk brakes and drop your 350 motor into that chassis.

I admire the idea as I am one of those people who truly believes that stock isn't for everyone, but I think this conversion is one of those things that is much better left alone.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted August 27, 2007 - 11:06 AM

I think that Honda did change them around 90 or 91. However, it was not much of a change. I doubt that the braking was really changed that much.

• MindBlower

Posted August 27, 2007 - 07:36 PM

How are you going to mount a brake caliper to the 350's forks? I would think that if you were going to go this route you would also need to change forks so that everything would mount up correctly.

IMO if you are truly trying to upgrade the 350 with modern brakes, it would be cheaper to sell the 350 and get a '97 or newer 400. Or find a blown up 600 with disk brakes and drop your 350 motor into that chassis.

I admire the idea as I am one of those people who truly believes that stock isn't for everyone, but I think this conversion is one of those things that is much better left alone.

The 350's HAVE disk fronts starting with the 84 model. Mine is an 85 that is being fully restored. :naughty: (did you know that the 350 made MORE power than the 400?)

• eastreich

Posted August 27, 2007 - 08:30 PM

The 350's HAVE disk fronts starting with the 84 model. Mine is an 85 that is being fully restored. :naughty: (did you know that the 350 made MORE power than the 400?)

Yes, I know the 350 made more power. It was a bike 10 years ahead of its time. The twin carbs were nice. I wasn't thinking about the front end of your 350. My bad. I was thinking of my '85 XL250R. In the end, I am not saying to upgrade to the 400 (or anything else) for the motor, I am thinking of it for the chassis. I also had an '87 TT350 that would run circles around a stock XR400 engine. It just didn't last as long between rebuilds.

Back to the brakes: if the bolt holes for the caliper mount on the fork leg are about 102mm apart (this is an eyeball measurement with a tape measure), you will be able to get a newer Nissin caliper on there pretty easy (this is the center to center distance of the mounting holes on my 650R). You can just bolt on a new carrier bracket and then the caliper of your choice off of a newer model bike that uses a "FA185" series pad (XR650R/L, CRF450R/X, CRF250R/X, etc...). I have a stock XR carrier bolted onto my YZF forks. Otherwise, you will need to have another caliper carrier machined to carry the caliper of your choosing. For this, I would find an aftermarket caliper carrier for an oversized rotor, and have it machined down to fit. If you want to try this route, PM me. I've got a caliper carrier for an oversized EBC rotor that is wasting it's life away awaiting a new project to fit. I've got the rotor to go with it, but it is, shall we say, slightly warped.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.