wr426 cam timing

11 replies to this topic
  • maxtherat

Posted August 25, 2007 - 11:06 PM

I am planning on a top end refresh on my 01 wr. I bought the bike used a few years back so I want the piece of mind knowing that things are fresh. The question is: can I, for sure, put in a OEM 03 yz450 cam(auto decompress purposes)? I also want the bike to have more snap like the yz's have. In past threads there has been discussion if it correct to set 13 or 14 links between cam gears. Should I first clock the wr cam to yz spec, note the lobe position of the cam, and then install the new yz cam with the lobe in the same position regardless of the marks on the cam gear? Is the cam profile close enough between the two to do that or would I line up the indexing marks on the gear with the edge of the cylinder just like it was putting it in a yz 450? Thanks for any input

• clark4131

Posted August 26, 2007 - 05:21 AM

Hear ya go...SC

Posted Image

• byggd

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:12 AM

Just count the "pins" between the dots like the pic misure clark posted (14) and you will be right on the money :thumbsup:

• maxtherat

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:19 AM

Thanks, I recall seeing this at some point. Has anyone out there done there cam upgrade according to this? If my valves are in spec to begin with do I automatically need to reshim with new cam in? What pros and coms did you experience? I just want to do it right the first time, is it better to just retime the stock cam???

• clark4131

Posted August 26, 2007 - 10:15 AM

You need to remeasure the clearance whenever you remove/replace a cam...SC

• maxtherat

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:16 PM

I read somewhere that the yz 450 cam gear has a different pitch and if installed there would be accelerated wear. Is the better choice the hot cams yz 426 cam w/ decompression and is it better to use their intake cam as well? Thanks for any info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted August 27, 2007 - 01:40 AM

I read somewhere that the yz 450 cam gear has a different pitch and if installed there would be accelerated wear. Is the better choice the hot cams yz 426 cam w/ decompression and is it better to use their intake cam as well? Thanks for any info.

Go with the Hot Cams auto deco cam. It's worked great in my 01 WR 426 I have over 3000 miles on it and it works great. Yeah it may cost a few bucks more but it works. I kept the stock intake cam. No problems at all. No more starting ritual and no other problems when using it with a stock intake cam or cam chain. You don't need the intake cam unless your really looking for some HP or a different delivery curve. Hell a good running 426 is fast enough for me.

• byggd

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:54 AM

Thanks, I recall seeing this at some point. Has anyone out there done there cam upgrade according to this? If my valves are in spec to begin with do I automatically need to reshim with new cam in? What pros and coms did you experience? I just want to do it right the first time, is it better to just retime the stock cam???

Yes, those are the instructions I used when I did this mod.

• maxtherat

Posted August 27, 2007 - 04:52 PM

sounds like some guys have had some issues w/ the hot cams, but it sounds like it's more with the e-start. How does the power delivery comparred to the stock cam set w/ yz time? I think that I'll probably go w/ both cams though. I mostly ride desert, but I do ride Kennedy Meadows area a few times a wear. I just want to feel more hit like my crf 450 has, but I want to keep the rideability w/ the heavier flywheel weight. Thanks for all the info

• spunalot

Posted October 11, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I am putting a Hotcam in my wr400 do I also have to retard the cam by one tooth from 90 degrees. Can anyone answer this?

Thanks

• spunalot

Posted October 27, 2007 - 03:46 PM

I put the cam in was easier then I thought, hardest part getting chain around cam while keeping engine at TDC. NO FN decompress lever I am so happy it starts like a normal bike now.

• steve10391

Posted October 27, 2007 - 04:10 PM

If those chains were a little longer..................................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.