Metzler - Sahara 3 vs Karoo 2

7 replies to this topic
  • m25443

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:40 PM

This thread is about front tire only, 90/90-21.

I have an XR650R that I ride 50/50. The Sahara is about twice the price of the Karoo, and looks to be more of a 70 street and 30 dirt. The Karoo looks to be 70 dirt and 30 street. Assuming this is true (or close), what else do I get from the Sahara for the extra $50?

I'd rather lean slightly toward dirt if I have to make a sacrifice. Any chance that the Sahara is equal to the Karoo in offroad situations? The Sahara looks to be a clear winner for the street (but not sure).

Is it possible that the Sahara, being $50 more expensive, is better than the Karoo both on the street AND in the dirt?

:excuseme:

Mike.

• husky123

Posted August 26, 2007 - 10:41 AM

This thread is about front tire only, 90/90-21.

I'd rather lean slightly toward dirt if I have to make a sacrifice. Any chance that the Sahara is equal to the Karoo in offroad situations? The Sahara looks to be a clear winner for the street (but not sure).

Is it possible that the Sahara, being $50 more expensive, is better than the Karoo both on the street AND in the dirt?

:excuseme:

Mike.

No way. The Sahara IMO is not near as good as the Karoo off-road. I'm SURE others will differ but my Saraha didn't want to do anything off-road except straight up hard pack. The Karoo is decent in a lot of off-road situations with the exception of mud. And I found the Karoo to give some really good, predictable grip on-road. My 2.

• MartinDKtm

Posted August 27, 2007 - 03:18 AM

Only downside of the karoo is that they melt like butter. Shortest life tire I ever saw on a bike. I did 1500km (930miles) on mine on a back of a 640E. I won't buy one back ever.

• m25443

Posted August 27, 2007 - 09:46 PM

I just put a mefo explorer on the rear and would like something to go on the front. The Mefo's supposedly last a very long time, and I'd like something similar in on/off road ability but have heard some handling quirks of the mefo on the front that are causing me to look elsewhere.

Would the Sahara 3 on the front be a reasonable match for the Mefo on the rear? I do ride in mud a little and gravel roads fairly frequently.

Any additional choices I should consider? Probably not looking for a knobby.

Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MartinDKtm

Posted August 28, 2007 - 03:04 AM

Continental Tkc80 a very good 50/50 tire I would look at. The sahara 3 is great and last a long time but is pretty bad in mud and sand.

• goblin127

Posted August 28, 2007 - 04:27 AM

I'll second the tkc80. This would be a good match for either the mefo or the metzler. I have run the saharas before and they are by no means meant for mud.

• m25443

Posted September 02, 2007 - 03:44 PM

The Mefo Explorer Looks like a dual sport while the IKC80 is clearly a knobbie. Will I have problems with teh Mefo in the rear and TKC80 in the front? Are they similar enough on road, dirt, wet, and mud that the front end and rear end of my xr650r will still get along?

Mike.

• MartinDKtm

Posted September 04, 2007 - 03:21 AM

Despite its knobby apearance the tkc80 is a 50/50 and exellent on pavement. One of the best I've rode on pavement, almost similar to the Sahara3

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.