Liven up the low-end on the 08 yz 450f?

38 replies to this topic
  • polarbear

Posted August 25, 2007 - 08:05 PM

I am just curios what all of you new owners of the 08 yz 450f have done to liven up the low end on your bike. Exhaust systems, jetting... etc? How did it work was it worth it...etc etc.:ride:

• polarbear

Posted August 26, 2007 - 08:44 AM

I guess nothing...? Or too new...?:bonk:

• kyle450rider

Posted August 26, 2007 - 01:27 PM

Well,cheapest thing would be to add a few teeth to the rear sprocket and go from there.

• alstar250

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:12 PM

trust me I'm pretty curious as well, and bu the looks of things a good exhaust system is a solid place to start. I've never been real big on Two Bros stuff, but here's a dyno of their full system for the '08 YZ450F -

http://www.twobros.c...a-YZF450_SO.pdf

• Ga426owner

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:12 PM

First thing I would do (if I bought a 08) is send the carb to ZipTy for their 125 buck mod, a fuel Screw and a Hot Start nut as well as, buy a WB Alum Pro2 and experiment with gearing.....:thumbsup:

after pitching the stock chain.......of course:excuseme:

• warrior86

Posted August 26, 2007 - 03:56 PM

geeze man, thats a rough dilemma after spending around 7k on a 450cc. I thought one of the main characteristics that supposdadely made these bikes so much better than 2 strokes is that it had the nice low end torque making it more useable throughout the entire power curve. If we resort to slippin clutches (that werent meant to be slipped) and keepin these thing in the upper rpm "powerband" then wtf did we gain by gettin four strokes other than an extra 50lbs, more mechanical headaches, and a MUCH lighter wallet. Sorry if this posts sounds cynical....but im honestly pissed off that these bikes are that dissapointing at low rpm's and ive read quite a few posts about people suggesting/claiming to slip the clutch and stay at high revs. I guess if you're a rich racer then it doesnt matter but for everyone else, we know it puts an excessive amount of wear when ridden like a two stroke.

sorry just venting. I have an 07, and i came off a 250f so i am satisfied with the low end power, but definately not impressed. If the 08 guys say theirs is even less, thats BS. Just my 2 cents.

• Ga426owner

Posted August 26, 2007 - 04:09 PM

geeze man, thats a rough dilemma after spending around 7k on a 450cc. I thought one of the main characteristics that supposdadely made these bikes so much better than 2 strokes is that it had the nice low end torque making it more useable throughout the entire power curve. If we resort to slippin clutches (that werent meant to be slipped) and keepin these thing in the upper rpm "powerband" then wtf did we gain by gettin four strokes other than an extra 50lbs, more mechanical headaches, and a MUCH lighter wallet. Sorry if this posts sounds cynical....but im honestly pissed off that these bikes are that dissapointing at low rpm's and ive read quite a few posts about people suggesting/claiming to slip the clutch and stay at high revs. I guess if you're a rich racer then it doesnt matter but for everyone else, we know it puts an excessive amount of wear when ridden like a two stroke.

sorry just venting. I have an 07, and i came off a 250f so i am satisfied with the low end power, but definately not impressed. If the 08 guys say theirs is even less, thats BS. Just my 2 cents.

agreed...but plan on spending money on it if you want anything more than stock.....:cry:

• warrior86

Posted August 26, 2007 - 05:47 PM

agreed...but plan on spending money on it if you want anything more than stock.....:cry:

Yeah, but i feel in this case you are spending money just to get it to satisfactory standards....not jaw dropping standards. Theoretically, low end power should be the last complaint coming from a 450 owner, no? I just feel like money on mods should be to gain EXTRA, not to acquire what should have been there to begin with. I feel theres no good reason for it not to be there...atleast sufficiently.

Either way, good luck with your bike. Im sure with that new steering youll pass everyone in the turns anyway:thumbsup:

• Ga426owner

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:22 PM

[quote name='warrior86']Yeah, but i feel in this case you are spending money just to get it to satisfactory standards....not jaw dropping standards. Theoretically, low end power should be the last complaint coming from a 450 owner, no? I just feel like money on mods should be to gain EXTRA, not to acquire what should have been there to begin with. I feel theres no good reason for it not to be there...atleast sufficiently.

Either way, good luck with your bike. Im sure with that new steering youll pass everyone in the turns anyway:thumbsup:[/QUOTE

well it does work better....thanks...but again at a cost...::rant:
I am sure the 08 has low end power......especially after the pipe is replaced, at least it turns great stock. :thumbsup:

• alstar250

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:58 PM

I completely agree with you and one of the reasons I'll NEVER get (completely) off of my 2t - With that being said, I had an opportunity to spend 2 days in Baja doing a section of the Baja 250 course and I was on a borrowed '05CRF450 along with my buddy on his '07YZ450F. I didn't feel like I wanted to worry about where the hell I was going to premix gas and all of that stuff (the 4T has a big MPG advantage)...After the 1st day I was starting to wonder what all the hype was about the 4T as that Honda was as hard to hold on to as anything short of having 500cc and burning oil - I was straight exhausted and wishing I had the "hit" of my YZ250 so I could get through the 2nd day in one piece...Then I had the chance to put some seat time on that '07YZ450 and it was golden! I was like "now I know what they all mean", the softened bottom end was all I needed to keep it from killing my forearms 3 hours into this ride and the mid and top were all there like the CRF...I was sold. It hooked so well and was continually pulling up the front tire where other guys were blowing up the rear and trying to keep it from swapping. Maybe it's my riding style as I am a rear-steer slide it around and romp it old school 2stroke junkie and that's how I was riding it and man I loved that Yamaha...so for me, I am steering clear from anything described as "exploding off of the bottom"...such as red and green bikes. Moral of my story...be careful of what you ask for - and there is such a thing as too much (at least on the bottom)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted August 27, 2007 - 06:46 AM

All you really need is a new pipe (full system). People on the 06-07 450's are running just about every brand of pipe, so no use asking which works better. Personally, I am using an MRD on my 06; now my bike pulls like a tractor.
Something else that is very important and needs to be done to any bike is correct jetting for temps, and elevation.

Have fun with the new bike.:thumbsup:

• warrior86

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:29 AM

I completely agree with you and one of the reasons I'll NEVER get (completely) off of my 2t - With that being said, I had an opportunity to spend 2 days in Baja doing a section of the Baja 250 course and I was on a borrowed '05CRF450 along with my buddy on his '07YZ450F. I didn't feel like I wanted to worry about where the hell I was going to premix gas and all of that stuff (the 4T has a big MPG advantage)...After the 1st day I was starting to wonder what all the hype was about the 4T as that Honda was as hard to hold on to as anything short of having 500cc and burning oil - I was straight exhausted and wishing I had the "hit" of my YZ250 so I could get through the 2nd day in one piece...Then I had the chance to put some seat time on that '07YZ450 and it was golden! I was like "now I know what they all mean", the softened bottom end was all I needed to keep it from killing my forearms 3 hours into this ride and the mid and top were all there like the CRF...I was sold. It hooked so well and was continually pulling up the front tire where other guys were blowing up the rear and trying to keep it from swapping. Maybe it's my riding style as I am a rear-steer slide it around and romp it old school 2stroke junkie and that's how I was riding it and man I loved that Yamaha...so for me, I am steering clear from anything described as "exploding off of the bottom"...such as red and green bikes. Moral of my story...be careful of what you ask for - and there is such a thing as too much (at least on the bottom)

I agree. Too much low end can be debilitating as well...atleast for some people. I actually agree with taming the low end...but shooting it with tranquilizers is overboard. Id rather need to be more disciplined/gradual with my wrist than be more active with my left hand...ya never wanna be stuck usin yer left hand, lol.

But seriously, the fact that slippin the clutch is so detrimental to the clutch is the main reason why i have such a beef with it. That, and also the fact that high revs usually equats to less valve life.

• Brutus59

Posted August 27, 2007 - 02:10 PM

Coming off a 07 KTM 250 which was a good bike I must say that the 08 YZ450F does all that I would like a bike to do. In Kansas, where I ride the dirt turns into concrete so less is more. I can also ride longer and be much more in control that I ever did on a 2 stroke. Don't get me wrong I like 2 strokes very much but this 08 450F is everything I need or want in a bike. I intend to do nothing for now except replace the chain and stock airfilter.

Mike

• WB450

Posted August 27, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Coming off a 07 KTM 250 which was a good bike I must say that the 08 YZ450F does all that I would like a bike to do. In Kansas, where I ride the dirt turns into concrete so less is more. I can also ride longer and be much more in control that I ever did on a 2 stroke. Don't get me wrong I like 2 strokes very much but this 08 450F is everything I need or want in a bike. I intend to do nothing for now except replace the chain and stock airfilter.

Mike

That's how it starts!:thumbsup:

• Camrose Cycle

Posted August 27, 2007 - 02:26 PM

Ive had my 08 450f for about a month now and i still love the thing. I still am sticking with the fact that i do not think it is lacking low end power but it is being misinterpreted as having so little because of the fact it is so damn quiet. Either way, i dont know why everyone complains so much when there is probably no one on this forum that could use all of the power of a 450 even if it was lacking power anywhere on the spectrum.

• WB450

Posted August 27, 2007 - 02:31 PM

Ive had my 08 450f for about a month now and i still love the thing. I still am sticking with the fact that i do not think it is lacking low end power but it is being misinterpreted as having so little because of the fact it is so damn quiet. Either way, i dont know why everyone complains so much when there is probably no one on this forum that could use all of the power of a 450 even if it was lacking power anywhere on the spectrum.

:eek:

• polarbear

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:33 AM

What pipes have worked the best on the yz 450's???? Would a slip on exhaust be enough??? What sprocket is everyone running for riding motocross/supercross tracks???

• djtroy

Posted August 28, 2007 - 10:14 AM

:eek:

I agree, that is a dumb statement. I bought a 450 for the power. If I couldnt use it I would have bought a 250.

I purchased a quick turn throttle so I dont have to twist the throttle as far to get it wide open. This might make it "feel" faster

• Ga426owner

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:29 PM

That's how it starts!:thumbsup:

amen :excuseme:

• Ranger18

Posted August 28, 2007 - 01:54 PM

What pipes have worked the best on the yz 450's???? Would a slip on exhaust be enough??? What sprocket is everyone running for riding motocross/supercross tracks???

Normally I would say a slip on is a waste of money, but in the case of the 08, it would probably wake the bike up a little. To truely get more low end out of the bike, you need to get a full system that is designed to give more low end power. Like I mentioned earlier I have a MRD system, and a lot of other people are running the Dr.D.
As for the gearing, I would suggest going 1 up in the rear (from a 49 to a 50) I don't see a need for any more than that, unless you are really slow in the turns.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.