side racks on 650L

15 replies to this topic
  • platterdr

Posted August 25, 2007 - 05:55 PM

Who has fabbed up some side panel racks for mounting soft luggage or Pannier style boxes? If you have show some pics of your work.

• AtomicGeo

Posted August 25, 2007 - 06:50 PM

Who has fabbed up some side panel racks for mounting soft luggage or Pannier style boxes? If you have show some pics of your work.

Take a look at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ170141881645

They're made specifically for the XR650L. The guy also sells them with a matching rear tail rack that also is pretty good. I put the full set on my ride and attached Wolfman enduro saddle bags....looks sweet.
:applause:

• miretdi

Posted August 26, 2007 - 12:24 AM

I made this rack for attaching Pelican cases. It is a bit tweaked in the picture but you get the idea.

http://picasaweb.goo...007239906097282

Here are a couple with the cases on.

http://picasaweb.goo...007050927536210

http://picasaweb.goo...006758869760002

• ravenranger

Posted August 29, 2007 - 04:50 PM

TurboCity has just come out with some new pannier racks for the XR650L. I actually have one of the first sets to flog about and so far, they're really nice.

Here's more info that I put over on the ADVrider list:

Posted Image

Got these mounted on my BRPL a couple of weeks ago and am really impressed with the workmanship and fit. They're designed to work with Tourmaster soft bags but I had an old set of Cargo soft bags that I'm modding to work with them. I may also mod a couple of ammo cans or pelican bags for those times when I want a hard box.

Posted Image

Meanwhile, this is one sturdy puppy. I pulled it out of the box and set it on the ground and, just for kicks and grins, used it as a stool to see if it could take the weight. Held up to 250# just fine, thank you very much (and it sure wasn't designed for someone sitting on it). Mounting the under support took a little bit of patience but then I got the bright idea to temporarily mount through the fender holes to hold it place while I grunted in the frame
bolts.
Posted Image

After that, installation was cake although I did have to dig around for a couple of bolts to re-mount the directionals.

Posted Image

The rack is all one piece. The Jerry Can is the small size (for reference) but it looks like one could easily strap the large size on if they wanted to since there's plenty of tie down points on the racks.

So far, I really like the versatility of being able to do tail bag only, tail bag and panniers, panniers only or even mixing a pannier on one side and a gas can on the other. Next step is playing with hard boxes.

Posted Image

BTW, I was able to get just enough length on the directionals that I didn't need to add wiring. The right side directional has plenty of wire length but the left is just barely long enough. I loosened the end bolt on the directionals and was able to turn them on the bracket so they faced the right way but won't jounce around. The racks actually came with
additional wiring if you need it. Although, I'm planning to do some small after-market directionals at some point.

Oh also, it's a squeeze but you can still get the side panels off and get to the battery with the racks on (which is good since my battery keeps fritzing out on me - time for a gelcel).

Posted Image

Once I got it mounted up I went out for a jaunt and it did great over some fairly roughforest road and a fairly tame trail. No jouncing or rattling. Then, again for kicks and grins, I dumped the bike over to see how the racks held up. Solid. I even used the other side of the rack as a grab to help lift the bike and it did great.

All in all, these are well worth the $229. Durability and affordability is hard to beat!

• Hooter4444

Posted August 29, 2007 - 10:45 PM

Take a look at ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...emZ170141881645

They're made specifically for the XR650L. The guy also sells them with a matching rear tail rack that also is pretty good. I put the full set on my ride and attached Wolfman enduro saddle bags....looks sweet.
:applause:

I just ordered my tail rack, should be here in a day or so. I will repost with a review when I get it mounted

• AtomicGeo

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:00 AM

I just ordered my tail rack, should be here in a day or so. I will repost with a review when I get it mounted

Please do. Did you get the side racks too?

Geo

• Hooter4444

Posted August 30, 2007 - 07:14 AM

I didnt get the side racks yet. I dont plan on doing alot of touring, just shorter local rides in the area.

• Hooter4444

Posted August 31, 2007 - 01:01 PM

Just got the tail rack in, and like most of you I went tearing through my toolbox just to get my lastest addition onto the Pig. Well before I did that I weighed the rack, and it came in at 2lb 12oz. Being a welder for 10+ years it is actually quality work. All welds are of pretty good quality and the powder coating is very nice. It comes with two replacement bolts for the turn signals and as a plus they are metric also. I can see no flaws to make me not recommend it to anyone. It installed rather easily, only took about 5 min to get the old one off and install the new. The under frame was tweaked abit, and it took a little persuading to get the left side bolt in. The rack feels very solid and i gave it a few hard tugs and it almost lifted the rear ties off the ground, so I have to say its solid. It may not be a nice shiny aluminum rack, but this one is nice and at half the cost, it is worth it to me

:ride:

here is the link on Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/...sspagenameZWDVW

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AtomicGeo

Posted August 31, 2007 - 02:20 PM

TurboCity has just come out with some new pannier racks for the XR650L. I actually have one of the first sets to flog about and so far, they're really nice.

Here's more info that I put over on the ADVrider list:

Posted Image

Got these mounted on my BRPL a couple of weeks ago and am really impressed with the workmanship and fit. They're designed to work with Tourmaster soft bags but I had an old set of Cargo soft bags that I'm modding to work with them. I may also mod a couple of ammo cans or pelican bags for those times when I want a hard box.

Posted Image

Meanwhile, this is one sturdy puppy. I pulled it out of the box and set it on the ground and, just for kicks and grins, used it as a stool to see if it could take the weight. Held up to 250# just fine, thank you very much (and it sure wasn't designed for someone sitting on it). Mounting the under support took a little bit of patience but then I got the bright idea to temporarily mount through the fender holes to hold it place while I grunted in the frame
bolts.
Posted Image

After that, installation was cake although I did have to dig around for a couple of bolts to re-mount the directionals.

Posted Image

The rack is all one piece. The Jerry Can is the small size (for reference) but it looks like one could easily strap the large size on if they wanted to since there's plenty of tie down points on the racks.

So far, I really like the versatility of being able to do tail bag only, tail bag and panniers, panniers only or even mixing a pannier on one side and a gas can on the other. Next step is playing with hard boxes.

Posted Image

BTW, I was able to get just enough length on the directionals that I didn't need to add wiring. The right side directional has plenty of wire length but the left is just barely long enough. I loosened the end bolt on the directionals and was able to turn them on the bracket so they faced the right way but won't jounce around. The racks actually came with
additional wiring if you need it. Although, I'm planning to do some small after-market directionals at some point.

Oh also, it's a squeeze but you can still get the side panels off and get to the battery with the racks on (which is good since my battery keeps fritzing out on me - time for a gelcel).

Posted Image

Once I got it mounted up I went out for a jaunt and it did great over some fairly roughforest road and a fairly tame trail. No jouncing or rattling. Then, again for kicks and grins, I dumped the bike over to see how the racks held up. Solid. I even used the other side of the rack as a grab to help lift the bike and it did great.

All in all, these are well worth the $229. Durability and affordability is hard to beat!

That looks like a the monkey bar set from the park down the street! :lol:

• Bibleman

Posted August 31, 2007 - 05:32 PM

Hey Ravenranger, I like that set-up. Any idea what it weighs? Also, does it rely on the rear subframe for any support?

• ravenranger

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:20 PM

Unfortunately I didn't think to weigh it before I put it on but I'll double check the shipping lable to to see if there's a weight listed.

Meanwhile, there's an under-fender bracket that ties in to the frame as well as two support arms (one on each side) that tie the sides of the rack to the frame.

• Rman of 237

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:42 PM

I made this rack for attaching Pelican cases. It is a bit tweaked in the picture but you get the idea.

http://picasaweb.goo...007239906097282

Here are a couple with the cases on.

http://picasaweb.goo...007050927536210

http://picasaweb.goo...006758869760002

Hey miretdi, thats one hell of a slide show there buddy!!:thumbsup: :ride: Are you posting it on ADV, have you already done so??

Rman...

• Rman of 237

Posted September 02, 2007 - 08:46 PM

Has anyone modified a Cyclerack to fit side mounts??

• wheelnut46

Posted September 03, 2007 - 05:13 AM

Hey miretdi, thats one hell of a slide show there buddy!!:thumbsup: :ride: Are you posting it on ADV, have you already done so??

Rman...

Yeah, Please post this trip in ride reports on www.advrider.com. We need some good XRL trips over there.

• miretdi

Posted September 06, 2007 - 07:26 PM

Thanks, I'm going to post a ride report at advrider soon.

• wheelnut46

Posted September 07, 2007 - 12:02 PM

Thanks, I'm going to post a ride report at advrider soon.

Please post link or send PM when you do. The pics were great and two up touring on an XRL - those folks on ADVrider will never believe it wasnt done on a KLR or Beemer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.