Chain slider replacement - difficult?

9 replies to this topic
  • chicagobikefan

Posted August 25, 2007 - 11:09 AM

Hey all, my '05 650L at 7,800 miles is making a metallic clicking noise by the front sprocket at all speeds and it looks like my chain slider (the one near the front sprocket) is worn pretty good. Cleaning and lubing the chain does not change the noise. The chain is new.

So, I'm going to try replacing the front chain slider. The manual says "see your Honda dealer" and it doesn't specifically mention anything about its replacement in the service manual. You don't have to take off the swingarm to replace that front slider, do you? I'm assuming you only have to take off the rear wheel so you can maneuver the chain. Am I right? Thanks.

• CraigKrage

Posted August 25, 2007 - 12:07 PM

If you have enough slack you could just pop the master link out of the chain and go from there.If not you can loosen the rear wheel and move it to give you enough slack.No need to remove the rear wheel.

• goblin127

Posted August 25, 2007 - 01:04 PM

Pretty sure that chain dosn't have a masterlink. The chain slider should not be worn out with that milage.

• chicagobikefan

Posted August 25, 2007 - 02:13 PM

The bike's chain makes this clicking noise by the front sprocket that's sounds like it's going over something metallic. It happens most of the time at all speeds. Both sprockets are in good shape, the chain only has 750 miles on it and is clean and lubed properly. I can't figure out what else it could be. Anyone have any other thoughts? I think that maybe the chain slider is worn down and the chain is touching the swingarm, but maybe I'm wrong. I just can't see what else it could be.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted August 28, 2007 - 08:17 AM

If you lift the chain a bit you should be able to see if its worn through.

I don't think you'd get a 'click' out of that, though.

If its a once-per-time-around for the chain it could be a bad link, or maybe the master link smacking something or making a little noise because its a little thicker.

If its much more frequent (once per link, or once-per-2 links) it could be the front sprocket has a problem (Like Huffa2's PBI horrorstory), or maybe the front/rear sprockets are not lined up quite right and the chain going over the sprocket is making extra noise.

I'd check the top/bottom/rear sliders, and check the alignment, and the front sprocket position on the countershaft.

Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • COAL RUN

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:03 AM

did you replace the sprockets & chain together? If not the new chain & old sprockets may not "mate" together properly

• martinfan30

Posted August 28, 2007 - 09:30 AM

i just did a 48 rear sprocket keeping the stock front and stock chain. no issues in over 1000 miles.

• zodran

Posted August 28, 2007 - 10:52 AM

Hey all, my '05 650L at 7So, I'm going to try replacing the front chain slider. The manual says "see your Honda dealer" and it doesn't specifically mention anything about its replacement in the service manual. You don't have to take off the swingarm to replace that front slider, do you? I'm assuming you only have to take off the rear wheel so you can maneuver the chain. Am I right? Thanks.

You're talking about the piece that wraps around the swingarm, right? You don't need to remove the swingarm, there are two 6mm philips head screws at the ends of it top and bottom. It's flexible enough to come right out. Mine was bad and was worn through and chewed into the swingarm a little on the bottom, yikes!
I dug some 1/4" uhmw polyethylene or equivalent out of the trash hopper at work, and using the old one for a pattern cut out a new one on "break".:busted:
I used heat to bend it around a piece of 1" shaft. I had the slider ordered from partsfish but it was not going to arrive in time. BTW it's around $30.

• Denn10

Posted August 28, 2007 - 11:53 AM

I think your hearing chain slap maybe its just a tad loose and under acceleration and decel its just slapping. Do you see any wear on the paint of the frame where maybe its hitting that? but like DAVE said lift your chain and youll see if its worn through.

• martinfan30

Posted August 28, 2007 - 12:07 PM

I think your hearing chain slap maybe its just a tad loose and under acceleration and decel its just slapping. Do you see any wear on the paint of the frame where maybe its hitting that? but like DAVE said lift your chain and youll see if its worn through.

you are prob. right especially with so few miles.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.