K&N Air Filter Oil Question

6 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted August 25, 2007 - 09:16 AM

I just switched from the old method of saturating the filter foam with heavy weight oil to using K&N filter spray oil.
I am using it as per the instructions, but noticed that after several days of sitting in the garage at around 100 deg F, the oil is running off the filter and down out of my filter box.
Is this normal? Maybe I'm using too much?

Thanks.

• idwr450f

Posted August 25, 2007 - 01:26 PM

I have been use the K&N Recharger (filter cleaner and oil). We have had several days around 100 degree and have not had any oil drip into air box.

• Birdy426

Posted August 25, 2007 - 01:53 PM

I just switched from the old method of saturating the filter foam with heavy weight oil to using K&N filter spray oil.
I am using it as per the instructions, but noticed that after several days of sitting in the garage at around 100 deg F, the oil is running off the filter and down out of my filter box.
Is this normal? Maybe I'm using too much?

Thanks.

If you are using the K and N stuff on anything but a K and N, STOP! No, it's not normal on a K and N filter, but the K and N oil doesn't "thicken" and "sticky up" like foam filter oil does, so it won't do much on a foam filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted August 26, 2007 - 06:38 AM

If you are using the K and N stuff on anything but a K and N, STOP! No, it's not normal on a K and N filter, but the K and N oil doesn't "thicken" and "sticky up" like foam filter oil does, so it won't do much on a foam filter.

Thanks, that probably explains it. Just read the back of the can. Didn't realize this stuff was so material specific. I'll go out and buy some foam specific spray oil and give this K&N to a K&N filter owner.

• Birdy426

Posted August 26, 2007 - 02:58 PM

Thanks, that probably explains it. Just read the back of the can. Didn't realize this stuff was so material specific. I'll go out and buy some foam specific spray oil and give this K&N to a K&N filter owner.

I've had real good luck with Maxim FFT for foam filters...

• ETP

Posted August 27, 2007 - 05:18 AM

Picked up some Maxima Fab 1 foam filter spray. Going to take a little practice to apply the right amount. It goes on heavy in spots and light in others. I sprayed too much on trying to get it saturated. Ended up wiping some off. Next time I'll start out light and let it sit for a while before re-applying.
The can mentioned that the bike may run rich for a while if too much is applied. Guess I find out next weekend.

• BajaFool

Posted August 27, 2007 - 10:30 AM

Maxima FFT is great stuff. Spray the inside of the filter as well as the outside. Wear a pair of latex gloves and knead the S**T out of the filter element to thoroughly coat the filter. Use wheel bearing grease on the sealing surface of the filter element to ensure an air tight fit in the air box.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.