xr650r master link

3 replies to this topic
  • baja brad

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:43 PM

I purchased a new RK Gold chain and it had 2 master links. The guys at my parts shop said with the torque of the xr650r I need to use the correct link...they just couldn't remember which one. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I am planning a Baja 1000 pre-run and need to make it to Cabo!

• XR4DEZ

Posted August 24, 2007 - 09:52 PM

Guys use both, I like the staked. It's stronger and there is not a clip but it requires a chain tool.Good chain will work either way, it's your call.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eastreich

Posted August 24, 2007 - 10:08 PM

I've used both styles of master link. I am currently running a staked link as I now have the special tool to press the link together. I personally don't think that it matters which link you use.

I have snapped two chains on my 650R. Neither break was anywhere near the master link.

• bosshog

Posted August 25, 2007 - 06:38 AM

I agree also. I have use both links and even with the clip type have never had a problem. Just make sure to put the clip on in the right direction and check it often. After a few months of use I took the clip off to change gearing and swap chains (I have 2 sets). Even without the clip I couldn't get the link apart without the tool.

Running hard in places like Baja like you are I'ld run the stacked just for one less thing on your mind.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.