XR600 short, help please...

2 replies to this topic
  • asf

Posted August 24, 2007 - 08:31 PM

89 XR600
Baja designs wiring kit

So I rode into work, fine, no problemo

Kick the bike this afternoon, no problem. Rev the bike a little, the headlight flickers then no electronics. Bike off, check master fuse, it is blown.

Replace fuse, blows again.

Replace with new fuse, it doesnt blow this time. Stays intact. But still no lights.

Is it a bad battery? My battery is a little nicad RC car bit, about 9 months old. sucky thing is I just moved and all my tools are in storage, have to get to radioshack and buy a multimeter I guess?

All wires are coated and heat shrunk. Baja designs has a rectifier and a FET which doesnt allow the headlight to draw battery till the stator fires. Otherwise its just wires.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bosshog

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:16 AM

I would start by taking the tank off and checking where the wires run there. Anywhere that there can be rubbing on the frame, evenmore so between the tank and frame. Have a look where the wires flex and pull for steering movement for wires pulled to tight and rubbing or being pulled out of connectors ect. behind the headlight. That's where I'ld start and If visual inspection dosn't show anything you'll have to get a multimeter.

Is this a new install? One other area I have had problems with in the past is the handlebar switch. After sitting for an extended lenght of time (the whole winter in my case) the little contacts corrode and the switch gets flakey or will not work at all. Alittle cleaning and a light sanding of the contacts was all it took to fix it. Not sure if that would create a short or not but was just a thought.

You don't happen to have a rewound or higher output stator do you?

Good luck

Bosshog

• asf

Posted August 25, 2007 - 07:09 PM

Its a pretty old kit.

Didnt have time to work on it today, but I need to work on it before monday...

Even if the wires are hitting the frame my frame was stripped and powdercoated so there is no way it can short there. It has to be a short for a fuse to blow, I'll check the turn signal switch assembly.

What is really odd is that it only blew the fuse after revving it. I just cant theorize what would do that in my head. Anyways, sounds like i am going hunting tomorrow. :mad:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.